24 replies to this topic

#1 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 07:58 AM

One of the most prevalent symptoms I have is excessive gas, belching. There are some days where I am belching almost constantly. It even makes my throat and esophagas sore. I even get a pain in my back between my shoulder blades where it feels like the gas gets caught, and it can be quite painful.

Also, when I am at work, after lunch, I have to sneak into our boardroom and lie down on the floor for about 15-20 minutes and I can literally feel the gas moving through my system.

I have found taking acidophillis (sp?) helps to a certain extent, but only a little.

Has anyone found a better solution? I would be greatly appreciative of any suggestions out there!

Have a great day!
Karen
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 08:36 AM

Are you consuming dairy? Perhaps you are lactose intolerant?
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#3 catfish

catfish

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 12:49 PM

Lactose is a good thought, it might also be fructuse (fruit sugar). For me, I get gas from vegetables like onions, cabbage and broccoli. Beano is a good solution to this problem; I take about 5 tablets with every serving of these vegetables. Also, taking a Gas-X before bedtime can be helpful.

#4 flagbabyds

flagbabyds

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 12:51 PM

I would try sutting out lactose for a while see if that helps at all. otherwise go back to your doctor in a coupkle on months if you still don't feel better
Molly

#5 Newbie

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 11:12 PM

Hey there! I'm having the same problem.... I have to burp A LOT... and I used to barely ever have to burp before celiac... I haven't had the courage to cut out dairy yet.... but im taking a lactaid pill with my dairy... its not helping that much though. Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot!

#6 catfish

catfish

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 02:43 AM

I find that the tablets don't do much good for me. Try drinking Lactaid milk that has been pre-treated. If you still have problems, then it may be casien that is causing your problems; or maybe it's something else entirely.

#7 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 05:08 AM

What is casien? I have read it here quite often but have never heard of it. Is it an ingredient in something?

Thanks!
Karen
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#8 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 08:06 AM

Lactose is one of the main sugars found in milk. Casein is one of the main proteins found in milk.

Many people are lactose intolerant, and don't produce the enzyme that breaks down the sugar into its component sugars, so lactose reaches the bacteria of the gut intact, and is metabolised by the bacteria which produce gas as a by product. (And lots of it, in my experience! ;-) )

A number of people are allergic to casein, and their body recognizes that protein as a foreign substanct and produces an immune system response to it. (It's an IgE mediated response, and isn't damaging like celiac disease, but can cause all sorts of annoying symptoms.)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#9 burdee

burdee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 08:17 AM

Karen and Newbee: Casein is milk protein. Lactose is milk sugar. If you have celiac disease, you might form antibodies to casein as well as gluten, so celiac challenged small intestines won't digest the milk protein either. If so, 'lactaid' supplements and lactaid milks won't help--those only help digest milk sugar. I used 'lactaid' to consume dairy for 10 years before going gluten-free. After 10 weeks of gluten-free I was still having symptoms, even while drinking lactaid milk and/or using lactaid everytime I had dairy. Yesterday my Enterolab results said 'antibodies to casein' (as well as gluten), so now I'm dairy free for at least a year (dairy) and gluten free for life. ;) Some people can return to eating dairy, after going gluten-free/CF for a while, after their intestines heal a little, but not all. I also had acid reflux and lotsa burping, esp. after drinking my lactaid milk in my decaf in the morning. (I also used to occasionally get gas pain that radiated into my shoulder area. No more reflux or burping since I've been dairy free (4 days). YAY!! :D

Catfish: I've also used beano before eating brocolli, cauliflower, onions, beans and those other 'gassy' vegies. But I only use one tablet. Since I've been gluten-free, I sometimes forget to take beano and don't notice much difference. HMMM ... maybe it was gluten all along. <_< But I'll continue the beano with the more 'musical' vegies, until I'm well healed from celiac symptoms (gas, bloating, cramping), so I'll know any reactions will be from those vegies and/or legumes. ;)
BURDEE

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

#10 kalo

kalo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 01:13 PM

So lets talk about intestinal symptoms. I've been very gassed up/boated/ichy etc. Guess it was always there but I'm noticing it more and it runs my day. I go number 2 all day long. Sometimes nothing comes out. Sometimes it's large sometimes it's the size of a small rock. Many times I have to help it come out. It's like I'm totally clogged up (all 30') and never get totally cleaned out. Sometimes I want to eat but don't think I should as it will just sit there and make me sicker. I feel it in my head as well and just double over and push on my stomache trying to massage it (the stomache not the head :P ). I really don't feel well and I wonder if it adds to the fatigue. I have had more energy this past week but my stomache has been bad and now I just want to sleep. I've been gluten-free for 6 weeks and CF (again as I did it before) for over a week with one slip up. Wondering if staying gluten-free/CF will eventually cure this or whether I really need to try the SCD diet which is much more strict. Any suggestions?
Hugs, Carol B Enterolab diagnosed gluten sensitive and casein allergic June 04

#11 judy04

judy04

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 03:42 PM

Kalo,

Have you ever tried fiber pills? I've been constipated a lot
since this disease got triggered, I also have hemmorrhoids
which showed up on my colonoscopy, so my gi doc suggested
fiber pills. You have to gradually increase the amount slowly
but I take 4-6 a day with a full glass of water, just make
sure they are the gluten-free ones. It works for me...
judy

gluten-free since 11/03, neg biopsy, IGA elevated

#12 kalo

kalo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 04:10 PM

Thanks Judy. No I haven't tried fibre pills. Lets get specific :) . Are you able to go once a day and completely empty? That would sure be a dream. I've always felt that all 30 feet of intestines is clogged andmaking me very sick. I feel if throughout my body if that makes sence. I will try that. Also, if I don't do SCD I'm planning on doing the york allergy testing to see if there are other foods that may be causing me problems. Thanks so much.

#13 judy04

judy04

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 08:38 PM

Hi Kalo,

Yes,I manage to go at least once a day, maybe twice,
and I do feel empty. I hated that feeling before. As
my husband teases me when I have success in the
bathroom, you did a" masterpiece". I can't tell you
how much better I feel. Hope this helps :rolleyes:
judy

gluten-free since 11/03, neg biopsy, IGA elevated

#14 kalo

kalo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 09:49 PM

That is WONDERFUl. :P That would sure beat having to eleminate more food. I do have a little more energy. Any special fiber pills or just any? Start slow, I guess just one tablet. Will let you know how it works. How long did it take you? Thanks MUCH

#15 burdee

burdee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 09:53 PM

OK, now that we're talking constipation and fiber ... :lol: that's what got me into my excruciating pain mess in the first place. I suspect my celiac symptoms had been constipation/gas/bloating/cramping all my life, but when my doc diagnosed 'IBS' and handed me the IBS constipation suggestions (which recommended lots of whole grains like wheat bran and stone ground whole wheat breads), I followed those recommendations with disastrous (painful) results, not knowing I had celiac all along. :o However, since going gluten-free I've had less and less 'fiber'. I've tried to consume fiber from fruits, vegies and some of the higher fiber gluten-free breads and cereals occasionally. But the less I had 'gluten slips', the less regularity problems I experienced ... to a point. <_< Then I got my E-lab diagnosis which said NO DAIRY, so that eliminated milk for my high fiber cereals (I wasn't so sure about using soy milk at first). Nevertheless, eating only fruits and vegies (no high fiber gluten-free grains) didn't negatively affect regularity. In fact, the farther I get from my last milk ingestion and last gluten 'slip', the more my 'regularity' improves. ;)

Meanwhile I have also taken magesium and vitamin C supplements for years, after reading those were often recommended in Germany for constipation problems. I also had hemorrhoids, but they became so bad, I had a hemorrhoidectomy in '99. After having that painful surgery and recovery period, I was almost paranoid about regularity. :o Fortunately avoiding gluten and casein helped resolve my constipation/bloating/pain symptoms. So I expect my intestines to eventually function as they're supposed to. It just keeps getting better! :D

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: