I Want To Be The First Celiac To.....

• Please log in to reply

33 replies to this topic

#16 Guest_BERNESES_*

Guest_BERNESES_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2006 - 05:57 AM

Hey!
Great thoughts and ideas. I've been thinking about doing a bike ride (& get some of my friends to help too) to earn $$ for research (once i'm more trained, i'm only up to 15 miles right now). We'll see....that's kinda my overall yearly goal (besides losing some of this stupid gluten-free weight gain agh!)
BUT, i'm also a BIG hiker and I love the App Trail idea. Maybe that could be a group thing....and for those who can't or don't want to do the entire trail maybe just do the portion of the trail in your area, or closest to you or whatever part you want to do, etc.

That would be cool!!!!!!!!! We could even do like relay teams where whoever lives in Georgia does that part, and then each person does a state or whatever portion they can on up to Maine and then have a similar relay on the Pacific Crest Trail.

I was thinking about maybe making my first attempt local and going from there. These are ALL great ideas. I like the eat-in with a chain where on a given night everyone goes to the Outback or someplace that has a gluten-free menu and wears a t-shirt. And the family point is so KEY because you're right, if one person in a family has it, everyone does.

Keep 'em coming!!!!!!!!!!!!! You guys are awesome. Would love to do the book. maybe I really should get in touch with Morgan Spurlock. He could do a Thirty Days where a family that eats a lot of gluten would volunteer to go gluten-free for 30 days and show their frustration food shopping, packing kids' lunches etc. How about a volunteer fraternity- no beer and pizza for 3- days? THAT would be VERY interesting!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 eleep

eleep

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 06:01 AM

The volunteer fraternity thing would crack me up. My ex-boyfriend was Sig. Ep. and, in my more bitter-haha moments, I've thought that he dumped me because he was appalled at the idea that someone could live a life without beer!
Erica

Inconclusive blood test results
Positive Enterolab results
Positive dietary results
gluten-free since 2/10/06

#18 penguin

penguin

Chelsea

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 07:55 AM

The volunteer fraternity thing would crack me up. My ex-boyfriend was Sig. Ep. and, in my more bitter-haha moments, I've thought that he dumped me because he was appalled at the idea that someone could live a life without beer!

LOL, in my experience, Sig Ep's would rather give up breathing than give up beer :rolleyes:
Alright, don't worry even if things end up a bit too heavy
We'll all float on, alright
Well we'll float on good news is on the way...

#19 eleep

eleep

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 09:21 AM

I've been thinking about this stuff and I had a little daydream on my way to teaching class today (seems I can't keep my mind on the American Literature I'm supposed to be thinking about). Anyway -- we've got a lot of great writers on this board with a lot of really nuanced insight into the many aspects of dealing with celiac and the way it totally reconfigures one's life -- not just diet and body, but relationships and even philosophical and political perspectives on how to live in the world, eat in the world and be in the world.

What if we were to put together a collection of essays, write up a book proposal and shop it around to publishers? The proceeds from the book could go to celiac research. I imagine that, since the NIH is about to launch this awareness campaign there's about to be a very big market for all things related to celiac, so it could be a very good way to raise money.

I'm definitely thinking like a scholar here (wish I had this much confidence about publishing my own research) -- but I've got editing experience and such. There's got to be someone on this board with publishing connections outside the academic presses......
Erica

Inconclusive blood test results
Positive Enterolab results
Positive dietary results
gluten-free since 2/10/06

#20 DingoGirl

DingoGirl

my babies ♥

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,645 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 09:23 AM

I LOVE this idea.......I can be in charge of the my-brain-was-ruined-by-celiac-and-I-went-nuts category......

:)
SUSIE

Diagnosed January 2006

"I like nonsense. It wakes up the brain cells." ~Dr. Seuss

#21 Turtle

Turtle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 01:17 PM

You guys are so fun!
~Turtle~

#22 2Boys4Me

2Boys4Me

Ty & me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 01:46 PM

Gluten-Free Chicken Soup for the Celiac Soul?
Linda, Mom to Ty (11 years old)
Ty was diagnosed by blood test June 7/05
biopsy Aug 11/05, diagnosis confirmed Aug 18/05
Mom, Dad and big brother Celiac-free.

#23 Guest_BERNESES_*

Guest_BERNESES_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2006 - 03:06 PM

Oh my gosh- these are all such GREAT ideas.

Eleep and Chelsea- Ditto on the Sig Ep thing. I don't think they CAN breathe without beer. We have a local chapter. Maybe I could get them to do a "gluten-free challenge" for charity.

Eleep- Someone on here...mvaught I think is also in academia and had the same idea! It's a great one and many people volunteered to write essays but I haven't seen her around in awhile. Maybe we could revive that idea too! DingoGirl- you're only crazy in the BEST way possible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gluten Free Chicken Soup for the Celiac Soul is awesome too!

#24 DingoGirl

DingoGirl

my babies ♥

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,645 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 03:44 PM

Gluten-Free Chicken Soup for the Celiac Soul?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
this is fantastic....

oh and by the way, Bev and everyone, I think CRAZY is actually when you fully lose touch with reality, right?....unfortunately that never happened to me, because I think that would have been enormously more enjoyable.... ;)
SUSIE

Diagnosed January 2006

#25 amybeth

amybeth

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 08:58 PM

What about all of those "BIGGEST" records:

Create/bake the world's largest gluten free pizza - wedding cake - pot of chili - bowl of macaroni , etc. etc.
People in the community could purchase a plate full........................Call Ripley's and the world record book, etc.............get word out......

OR an eating contest:
gluten-free Pie eating contest -- (or pie throwing!)
Again purchase your entrance fee...................................

OR an awareness dinner...........you know like those charity dinners that people pay $$$$/plate for.
Get celiacs and non-celiacs to buy plates, have a HUGE gluten-free meal and a speaker......

In any of these, you contact the local media, tv, newspaper, life style magazines and have them cover the event?!
Amy

Gluten Free since 4/05 - adult onset
Symptoms for 4+ years prior
Immediate family tests negative
No Known family members w/ celiac disease

#26 DingoGirl

DingoGirl

my babies ♥

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,645 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 09:40 PM

All good ideas Amybeth....but we must also make them understand our PAIN and SUFFERING while having these big food parties!!!

I wonder if we should make the gluten-free food we serve them taste really ghastly, so they feel even MORE sorry for us? ;)
SUSIE

Diagnosed January 2006

#27 Guest_BERNESES_*

Guest_BERNESES_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2006 - 11:08 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
this is fantastic....
oh and by the way, Bev and everyone, I think CRAZY is actually when you fully lose touch with reality, right?....unfortunately that never happened to me, because I think that would have been enormously more enjoyable.... ;)

OH I HEAR YOU!

All good ideas Amybeth....but we must also make them understand our PAIN and SUFFERING while having these big food parties!!!

I wonder if we should make the gluten-free food we serve them taste really ghastly, so they feel even MORE sorry for us? ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: LMAO

#28 mellajane

mellajane

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 07:18 AM

Well hopefully then you are like every other celiac you wan toto do more for the cause.... Before I knew I hab celiac I was a Caterer, challenging yes.... so now I am trying to make my desserts gluten free and sell them.. This disease is so new getting involved now is going to be a very very great thing. Do what you can use your skills and your heart to help. I wish you the Best of Luck.. Good for You!

OK- so I NEED something to get me going again after everything that's gone on the last 3 months (quick version: had gall bladder out, took PhD exam, 36 year old husband had stroke, and now I have C Diff). I need something to look forward to, to strive for..... no, finishing my PhD is all well and good, but something more than that. That's like my career.

So, I was thinking I wanted to do something to raise Celiac awareness and money for Celiac research and be the first person with Celiac's to..... and that's where I get stuck. I want it to be something challenging, that I have to train for, but not too extreme. Don't want to be the first person with Celiac's to climb Mt Everest (too easy :P ). Something that I can raise money for and traon for between now and June 2007 because I could do it over next summer.

So, of course I've come up with silly ideas like:

1. First Celiac to try every gluten free beer in the world :P (OOH YEAH!!!!!!)
2. First Celiac to swim her way cross country (not literally- but drive from state to state and swim in at least one river/ocean/lake in every state (check out www.swimmingholes.org)
3. First Celiac to eat a pizza without keeling over (not worth it)

But I'm having trouble thinking of ideas that aren't too outrageous (like surfing on every continent which I would KILL to do but I have a hard time believing anyone would give me money to do this. Too fun!)

Marathon running is out (no back).

Someone biked across the US last summer to raise Celiac awareness so that's already been done.

Lets see- I like to swim, surf, ski, photograph, travel, walk, hike,

Looking for inspiration

Funny and outrageous ideas totally welcome!!!!

"There is always a Brighter side to every situation"

#29 tiredofdoctors!!!

tiredofdoctors!!!

Will NOT let this disease diminish me!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 12:53 AM

If you want them to feel our pain, then let's do this: Have the world's largest Celiac pizza-eating convention . . . . and then hold the Guinness Book of World Record for the largest number of port-a-potties used during a 24 hour time period!!!!! :lol:
Lynne

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I'll try tomorrow".

"There's not a word yet, for old friends we've just met. Part Heaven, part space, or have I found my place? You can just visit, but I plan to stay, I'm going to go back there some day." Gonzo, in the Muppet Movie

#30 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 03:12 AM

If you want them to feel our pain, then let's do this: Have the world's largest Celiac pizza-eating convention . . . . and then hold the Guinness Book of World Record for the largest number of port-a-potties used during a 24 hour time period!!!!! :lol:

(Shuddering :unsure: ) I wouldn't even want to think about that! :o
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: