29 replies to this topic

#1 e&j0304

e&j0304

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 01:34 PM

I know that Ella's stools used to be like this (pre gluten-free diet), so maybe this is just my kids, but can it be due to gluten? I have the feeling that ds got into something because he has been having diarrhea again for days. It is also very sandy or grainy in consistency and it is making his little bottom RAW. He is miserable.

I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this with their children. There is not much I could find online about it.

Thanks for any info you all can provide!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lymetoo

Lymetoo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 02:51 PM

I know that Ella's stools used to be like this (pre gluten-free diet), so maybe this is just my kids, but can it be due to gluten? I have the feeling that ds got into something because he has been having diarrhea again for days. It is also very sandy or grainy in consistency and it is making his little bottom RAW. He is miserable.

I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this with their children. There is not much I could find online about it.

Thanks for any info you all can provide!

I think mine were that way. Not sure what you're describing. Mine sort of "fell apart" in the toilet sometimes. Very strange looking.
Negative biopsy for celiac 1980
Fibromyalgia 1980
IBS 1980
Interstitial Cystitis 1992
Systemic yeast
Diagnosed w/ Chronic Lyme Disease 2000
Diagnosed w/ Chronic babesia 2000
Tachycardia 2001
Asthma 2005
Have had Lyme and babesia for
about 48 yrs.

Began gluten-free July 19 '06
Native TEXAN living in Missouri

#3 e&j0304

e&j0304

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 04:01 PM

My kids' stools almost look like they literally ate sand from a sandbox. It is very hard to get off their skin with baby wipes.

We don't have a sandbox and they have not been around one, so I know that's not what it is.

No doctor that we have brought this up with has been able to help us.

Just wondering if anyone on here had experienced it.

Thanks for your help!

#4 e&j0304

e&j0304

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 07:45 PM

ok. I've just spent almost an hour looking online for information about sandy or grainy stools and have found pretty much NOTHING!!!

Maybe my kiddos are just weird. I do have to get a new prescription diaper rash cream for ds though. His little bottom is now bleeding from the diarrhea. I've never seen a diaper rash this bad before and I feel so badly for him.

#5 evie

evie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 07:53 PM

ok. I've just spent almost an hour looking online for information about sandy or grainy stools and have found pretty much NOTHING!!!

Maybe my kiddos are just weird. I do have to get a new prescription diaper rash cream for ds though. His little bottom is now bleeding from the diarrhea. I've never seen a diaper rash this bad before and I feel so badly for him.

When I felt I had been glutened, had D, I also felt like my stools had acid in them. Left me very sore!! :angry: Was rather painful, that was when I tried to drink extra water. Is your child celiac? I know it is hard to keep them from eating all gluten free if others want to give them a treat. Hope for a better day for you and family. :) evie

#6 Nantzie

Nantzie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 08:42 PM

Both my kids have had this where it's nearly impossible to get all the little tiny things off them. You pretty much have to pick each one off. (Neither of my kids are gluten-free, but we're getting them tested through Enterolab as we can afford it.)

I have done searches on it too, and have found other people asking about it, but no answers. I've seen it described as grainy, seedy, sandy or cornmeal-like. Somehow it wouldn't be so disturbing if it wasn't so hard to get it off their little bottoms.

With my son, I've noticed that it happens when he gets dairy, with the raw rash going with it. Dairy intolerance can be a symptom of celiac.

Nancy
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it.
~Chinese Proverb

#7 Nantzie

Nantzie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 08:58 PM

Well, I consulted the experts. I just sent off an email to Enterolab. If anyone would have noticed a connection between celiac and grainy stools, it would be Dr. Fine. :lol:

I'll post the email when I get a response.

Nancy
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it.
~Chinese Proverb

#8 e&j0304

e&j0304

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 05:44 AM

Thank you, Nancy! I will be looking for your post with the answer. I really want to get to the bottom of this for him!

Sometimes I do wonder about dairy, but he eats yogurt and cheese with no problem. He seems to have a hard time with cow's milk though and usually drinks soy.

Again, thanks for your help!

Evie,
My kids are both gluten free although they may or may not have celiac. My dd was tested through enterolab and was positive for gluten intolerance. My ds had celiac testing and it was negative. However, once on the gluten-free diet his "toddler diarrhea" cleared up and he was much healthier. We think he got glutened and that is why he is having diarrhea again right now.

#9 momothree

momothree

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 01:00 PM

Hi there. I've posted about this exact problem with my little girl (now 21 months old) and didn't really get anywhere with it. I'm so glad to see it come up again and I am literally on the edge of my seat to find out what comes back from the Enterolab doc. Both of my older kids (12 and 10yrs) have been recently diagnosed, but when I had my babe's blood work done it came back with some bizarre number like -2 or something like that. Now I know that she is too young to get an accurate diagnosis from blood work. However, I have had her on the gluten-free diet like her sibs for about 2 months now and we have definitely noticed a difference. She didn't really have a problem with D, but was alternating between constipation and kind of mucky poops that were full of sand-like particles. I had nothing but shrugged shoulders and blank stares from the med. community where I live and had almost given up on the answer. Now, they are mostly solid, sometimes a little soft, but NEVER sandy anymore. I can't wait to see if this is common with celiac, then, with both of her sibs having it--I will pretty much have my answer too. THANKS!

#10 mle_ii

mle_ii

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 01:12 PM

I found this, though it's for too much iron and in pregnant women.

Can I get too much iron?
There is a condition in which the liver gets overloaded with iron, but this is extremely rare in healthy reproductive-age women. The most common iron-related problem in pregnancy is that taking two or three 325 mg iron supplements a day can cause abdominal cramping, dark green and grainy stools, and constipation. The body only can absorb the equivalent of two supplements at most, so taking any more is not helpful--and very hard on the digestive system. Even the small amount of iron in a prenatal vitamin can cause some women to become constipated; conversely, some actually get diarrhea from iron.

http://www.drspock.c...0,11163,00.html

#11 Nantzie

Nantzie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 02:34 PM

I got an email from Enterolab customer service saying that Phyllis (the nurse there) is on vacation, and will be returning next week. They are saving my email so that she can respond to it when she gets back.

Nancy
~Chinese Proverb

#12 e&j0304

e&j0304

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 07:03 PM

Nancy,

Thanks so much for following up on that. I am really looking forward to hearing what they have to say. I appreciate that you took the time to e-mail them!

Thanks again,
Shannon

#13 Nancym

Nancym

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 06:43 AM

I googled this yesterday and found a reference to babies being breastfed sometimes have grainy poo.

#14 Nantzie

Nantzie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 07:35 AM

I do remember that about breastfeeding now that you mention it. I see that your son is 1 year Shannon. Are you still breastfeeding? My son is 2.5 and hasn't been breastfed in a long time. There doesn't seem to be a real obvious pattern of grainy stools that comes up in discussion here, so I'm leaning toward dairy maybe. But then, dairy can cause problems in early celiac too. I'm hoping Enterolab has seen a pattern of one sort or another with this grainyness.

Nancy
~Chinese Proverb

#15 e&j0304

e&j0304

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 11:16 AM

Nancy,

No, my son is no longer breastfed. We stopped right at a year old and he will be 2 in November. My daughter also had this symptom before going gluten free when she was between the ages of 2-3.

I hope we find some answers. It sure is weird!

Thanks again,
Shannon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: