This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

New Here With 13 Month Old

will'smom

will'smom Newbie

Hello to all,

Thank you for this board! My name is Julie, and William is my 13 month old. He has been a challenge from day 1. After getting him diagnosed with reflux at 2 months...things were a little better with Prevacid. He was very crabby, colicky, and unhappy most of the time. I always suspected something else going on. Finally, after playing with his diet, I think he may be celiac. My pediatrician is NOW listening FINALLY! We just had the genetic blood test done on him....so I will let you know the results. Until then, I wanted to introduce ourselves and meet other parents that we have something in common with. Also, where do you buy most of your food...what do you make? Any good name brand items that are gluten free....good recipes...ok toothpastes and lotions? Good websites? Anything would be helpful! Are there gluten free fishsticks? or ckn nuggets? Nice to meet all of you,

Thank you,

Julie

William's Mom ( i betcha my mom is right!)

6-26-03

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

flagbabyds Collaborator

Wellshire Kids have a gluten free chicken nugget. they say gluten free on the bag and they are really goood.

AmyandSabastian Explorer

Hi welcome to the board. My name is Amy and I have a 7 month old Sabastian who has celiac disease. I am also new but I can offer what I have learned. I am looking for new mommies to chat with, with young babys. There arent many of us. :(

amycopeland@ourbirthclub.com

Amy and Sabastian

Terri-Anne Apprentice

Amy,

I'm just curious how you discovered that Sabastian has celiac at such a young age? My kids were barely onto baby food by that age, and when Logan started having reactions, (terrible rash, diarrhea) he was over two when we finally nailed down whtat the problem was. Sabastian is certainly lucky to have a mommy who was able to figure things out so early, preventing many more months/years of suffering for him!

TrixieMom Rookie

Hi there

My son was diagnosed at 13 months with celiac disease through a biospy. He is also being treated for reflux (Zantac and Prevacid) and severe asthma (Flovent, Serevent and Ventolin). Apparently the reflux is related to the stomach pain etc. of celiac. We've been following the diet for six weeks - and it isn't too bad. It hasn't taken too long to get used to for the most part - and after 4 weeks or so we started to see changes with the bm and that makes to effort worthwhile.

I think it is much easier to start at a young age rather than aquiring a taste for gluten and having to start later.

We are Canadian and I have found the site www.celiac.ca helpful.

Trixie

eternity Explorer

My son is 17 months old and was diagnosed with celiac last week. He had reflux, apnea, asthma, enamel problems, calcium def, cried alot, diarrhea, diarrhea, and more diarrhea.

We are making most of our own food as the convenience foods are so expensive. Betty Haagman has a great book I will have to look at the name. I am using alot of recipes from it. I make fresh homemade bread with her recipes, muffins, and snacks sometimes. I am gluten-free as well since Mason is still nursing. He has been eating homemade stews, soups, etc.

I am trying to learn quickly and have been calling manufactures when I am in doubt about the contents of a product.

The list on this site about safe and forbidden foods has been really helpful.

I have herd to gluten free pantry has some good items. I have their catalog ( you can request a free one on their site) but I haven't ordered anything yet.

The only convience foods we are using are mainly gluten-free pretzels, corn noodles, gluten-free arrowroot cookies.

AmyandSabastian Explorer

Well my story is like most. Sabastian was cranky from day 1 and was labeled colic and never grew out of it. I went from Doc to doc and finally got some answers. He has been gluten-free for (wow) 8 weeks and what a world of difference. He was regressing, had silent reflux, pooping probelms from day 1, on and on and on. My husband and I are waiting for our kit from Enterlab and we are thinking we are postive too. I am 25 and I have had IBS since 4 and I have athritis. Hubby has many probelms too.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dana-g Newbie

Amy, you have really come a long way in a very short time--you sound like an old pro! It's so good to hear your son is doing well. And how great that you and your hubby are being tested! Good luck with everything. Sebastian is really a lucky boy!

hjkmatthews Apprentice

My daughter was 20 months when she was diagnosed with celiac disease. I have to say though that I have known there was something very wrong since she was nine months old. Around that time she was diagnosed with asthma had to have contiuous breathing treatments with Pulmicort and Xophenex. She also had ear/throat infections non stop, as well as bouts of diahrrea that would last for days at a time. A couple of days after Christmas last year, she had it so bad that as soon as I put a clean diaper on her, she would mess in it again. We took her to the doctor that day, and once a week the next three weeks as she began to vomit after every meal/drink. They told us she just had a stomach virus. And all along her tummy was distended, I look back at all the photos and realize that some doctors are really ignorant. She literally looked like a pregnant baby! Anyways, after three weeks of her just becoming more lethargic, we took her to the ER of a local Children's Hospital, and to make a long story short, she was having intussusseptions in her small intestine. A week into her stay and three bowel surgeries and a biopsy later, they also found that she had Celiac, and that the damage to her intestive was the cause of her intussusseptions and sickness. We were in that hospital for an entire month, and she kept having those 'collapses' in her intestine, and kept having those surgeries. I am thankful for the diagnosis however, and really believe that she is going to be okay now. We are adjusting to her new diet pretty well, but I know we have a long way to go. I just want to wish all of the other parents of little ones and babies the best of luck. They are truly blessings and although things may be a bit harder now, it is not the worst thing that could have happened! :)

Heather

Mother of Kylie

gluten-free for 6 months

AmyandSabastian Explorer

Thank you Dana!! Makes me feel so good. Honestly I am getting pretty good at this!! I havent slipped in 4 weeks now. Not one time. He has been such a happy baby. Life is WONDEFUL. He is super advanced now. He is crawling, talking (mama, nana (grandma), daddy, baba, ouch, hi), trying to WALK, push walking anything he can find, eating with hands like a champ (sweet peas!!!)standing alone for a few seconds, taking two steps. Now mind you he is ONLY 7 months old. Gluten free has saved me from the loney ben!! I wish you all luck, no matter how hard it seems to stick to this diet, take it from me and Sabastian, ITS WORTH IT and you can do it. Oh, and ALWAYS trust your motherly instint!!

Archived