43 replies to this topic

#16 PicturePerfect

PicturePerfect

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 05:14 PM

Do you guys live by D.C??? Because there is this really good restaurant that has a gluten-free menu that is called Bonefish Grill. It has a few locations, and is really accomidating. Also Maggianos (sp?) has gluten-free rice pasta and they have locations all around the country, I think.

Here is the website for finding Bonefish locations.

Here is the Maggiano's location finder.

Lisa
lisa mccorkell
diagnosed on May 31, 2005
orange county, california

"Laziness will cause you pain." (Unknown)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 terri

terri

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 05:55 PM

Ate today in a new restaurant on Route 7 where Fedoras used to be then it was Restaurant 7. Now it is the Essential Grille and has a lot of organic food in an upscale setting. I gave the waiter my card and could see him, the manager and the chef discussing it. He came back and told me 99% iof the food I could order! I had red pepper and crab soup and chicken tarragon salad and hot tea. It was great! I highly recommend this restaurant for Celiacs. :D
Terri
Northern Virginia

gluten-free since March 27, 2004

#18 colleenmc

colleenmc

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 04:49 PM

The Great American Restaurant chain has created celiac friendly gluten-free menus for all of their restaurants in Northern Virginia. This includes Mike's American Grill, Artie's, Silverado, Carlyle Grand, Sweetwater, and Coastal Flats. It's not listed on their web site yet, but they have laminated versions at the restaurants. Lots of yummy options.

Visit www.greatamericanrestaurants.com for locations/directions.

#19 terri

terri

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 01:26 PM

Today we went to lunch at the Buffalo Wing Factory and I had wings out for the first time in over 2 1/2 years! I asked for the manager and showed him my cards. He brought all the ingredients they use, Cattlemens BBQ sauce, Franks Hot Sauce and Cisco butter stuff. I knew the first two were gluten free and saw the allergy statement on the Cisco said contains soy, so I figured I'd be safe. He assured me they have dedicated fryers for their wings and put them in the sauce afterwards. He said they have wings made up that sit under the lights so rather than give me those, he got me fresh ones and used a fryer with fresh oil. They were great! He asked me to call him an hour after I left to let him know if I reacted or not. I was his first Celiac and he did great! His name is Chris and he's the Asst. Mgr. at the Chantilly Virgina Buffalo Wing Factory. I'm such a happy camper!! :D
Terri
Terri
Northern Virginia

#20 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 02:12 PM

Ahhhhhh, you guys are making me home sick. I grew up in McLean and went to McLean High in the dark ages. Hung out at McDonalds, much to the distress of my father. Believe it or not, I used to ride horses where Tyson's 1 is now. Later I worked at "Susies Casuals", when home from college.

It is all a very strange place for me now, but a good place to be from.

Lisa
McLean High - Class of 73 (now you know how old I am :o )

Lisa
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#21 terri

terri

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 05:00 PM

You're not so far away that you can't come back for a visit! We miss you!!!
Terri
Northern Virginia

#22 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 05:56 PM

It would be a good week-end away. What a wonderful thought. Where would a good place to meet for dinner and drinks.

I did grow up literally across the street from Ann S. Moore, who is Time/Warner CEO. We played wiffleball in her driveway. That was the place to be. When I could not have soft drinks in my home, I went to Mrs. S's house and got a good dose of cream soda. Ann's mother is the only one that I know who knew all the answers to Jeapordy, never sweat an answer. It is not so much that it's Ann's home place, but it's Mrs. S. house..........the Cantononi was the best you ever tasted.

Ann was in high school then and went on to Vanderbilt U. I wish that my parents were living, I would like to come back. That was my home. My home is here now.

Let's keep in touch you NoVa peeps, I would like to come up an meet you guys.

Lisa
Lisa

#23 Tim-n-VA

Tim-n-VA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 09:28 AM

The Great American Restaurant chain has created celiac friendly gluten-free menus for all of their restaurants in Northern Virginia. This includes Mike's American Grill, Artie's, Silverado, Carlyle Grand, Sweetwater, and Coastal Flats. It's not listed on their web site yet, but they have laminated versions at the restaurants. Lots of yummy options.

Visit www.greatamericanrestaurants.com for locations/directions.

Thanks for the update. I went to Artie's last night. They didn't have a laminated gluten-free menu but the waiter brought me several sheets of paper containing the entire menu color coded with respect to gluten.

Not in my budget for everyday but I took my wife to Ruth's Chris for our anniversary last week and they had a special gluten-free menu there that was presented in a leather folder like the regular menu.

#24 terri

terri

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 05:53 PM

You're right Tim. Ruth Chris was a good place to go. Much more gluten friendly than Mortons!!! An add on to Harrys Essential Grill, I went again and they brought my soup with croutons floating in it. And even had a big G written down for gluten free! In my chicken salad, I found a piece of bread crust. I didn't eat and won't be back for a while. :( this was after the chef had come out and discussed my menu...
Momma Goose, either Legal Seafood, P F Changs, Bonefish or Blue Iguana would be a great place to meet! Let me know when you're up for the road trip!!
Terri

P.S. One more experience. The Capitol Grille. I had eaten there once before with a great meal and was taken there for lunch a second time. Ordered fish with a lemon sauce. I got so sick! I was sick for three straight days and then felt lousy for a week. It was one of my worst glutenings ever. I should have known when they never came back with questions, only said oh, the chef said this was finel Won't be going back there. :unsure:
Terri
Northern Virginia

#25 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 06:04 PM

Hummmm, good thought for the first night of the road trip. DC is only 5hrs away. If so, I will PM with contact info.

Looks like lots of options.

Thanks , Lisa
Lisa

#26 kathymacn

kathymacn

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 12:15 PM

Just wanted to share with anyone in the Fairfax County or Loudoun County some positive and negative experiences I've had recently.
Take today, went to Amphora Restaurant with 2 friends and presented my dining card to the waiter and told him I was only going to have a salad but felt better if the Chef saw my card. The Manager comes over and refused to serve me at all. Even a salad! Said that there was too much of a chance of cross contamination. So I watched my friends eat and the waiter gave me an apple when I left. The Manager was rude and mean. The only other restaurant where they wouldn't serve me was Glory Days. They have only 1 grill and 1 fryer and everything is cooked together. They, however, offered me a plain salad.
Now for the good news! Ned Devines is wonderful for us! They make their potatoes from scratch with real milk and butter, their meats are not pre-marinated and they'll stand on their heads to give you what you want. Another good one is the Blue Ridge Grill near Leesburg. They actually have a dedicated french fry fryer and 2 grills, one for breaded things and one for not! Their french fries were awesome. Carrabas was great in Reston, Champs had a Greek Salad that worked well but forget Lakeside in Reston. Ate there twice and got sick both times. Tomorrow I'm trying PF Changs which I will go to with their gluten free menu in tow.
That is about the extent of my eating out history so far. I want to try McCormicks and Schmidts but they have only one grill and it's not a flame grill. Oh yes, Beacon Street in Chantilly also has only one grill and it's not flame. I will probably try the salad route with steamed shrimp at McCormicks next week. Oops, went to Legal Seafood in Tysons and they were so nice! But, got a little sick from them too....

#27 Mayster

Mayster

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 01:02 PM

How about Kabob places without their bread? I went to Moby Dick's Kabob place and told them I could not have the bread and they were very careful. My plate came out with just the rice and ground beef kabob. It seemed ok. Anyone have any experiences with this?

#28 jaten

jaten

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 03:52 PM

What a wonderful and timely thread for me!!!! I'm so glad it was renewed today through a new post because I missed this in Sept. I'll be in Fairfax in late December!!! Great info!!! Thanks everyone! :lol:

#29 terri

terri

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 03:44 PM

Today I went to Brios in Tysons 1 in the new area where Coastal Flats is. They were very very understanding of gluten and offered me a wide varity of meals to choose from. Their marinades and salad dressings are made from scratch and the manager was very knowledgable of the ingredients. She even asked if I had additional food allergies! I had the wood grilled salmon salad with asparagus and it was excellent. A very pleasant experience!
Terri
Northern Virginia

#30 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 06:29 PM

Thanks for sharing all these dining options up here!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: