15 replies to this topic

#1 sclark9602

sclark9602

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 10:58 AM

I can call but didn't know if anyone knew if these sprays and lotions were gluten free. Does anyone know?

Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 11:05 AM

I can not tell you whether the products are gluten free, but I suspect that they are not. (or aleast most of them).
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 11:16 AM

I read the bottle for the body lotion, and it was not gluten-free. If I remember correctly, the cream was. The gluten ingredients were easy to spot just by reading the ingredient list. My daughter likes one of their lip products that is gluten-free.
gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

#4 flagbabyds

flagbabyds

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 11:23 AM

i used to use the body creme.
Molly

#5 laurelfla

laurelfla

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 11:54 AM

all their lotions i have wanted to buy lately have listed oat in them (Brown Sugar and Fig, for example). but i haven't run across a body spray that hasn't been okay yet. and the lotion i just use sparingly from time to time because my skin is not sensitive to it. i'm a fragrance addict. ;)
diagnosed 8/05 through positive bloodwork & biopsy
gluten-free since then!

"Those who are willing to be vulnerable move among mysteries." Theodore Roethke

#6 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 01:54 PM

all their lotions i have wanted to buy lately have listed oat in them (Brown Sugar and Fig, for example). but i haven't run across a body spray that hasn't been okay yet. and the lotion i just use sparingly from time to time because my skin is not sensitive to it. i'm a fragrance addict. ;)

I found that the lotion had oats, but the cream version did not. I don't know about for your particular fragrance, but you might look at the creams to see.
gluten-free 12/05

#7 Moongirl

Moongirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 04:14 PM

Here is what BBW wrote to me

Case # 1067248

Dear Tamar,

We appreciate you taking the time to call us in regards to our policies, services and products. We value your inquiry and your interest in Bath & Body Works and The White Barn Candle Co.

These are the genus species names for Gluten ingredients in our products.

Wheat or any ingredients containing the genus species name Triticum Vulgare

Oat or any ingredients containing the genus species name Avena Sativa

Barley or any ingredients containing the genus species name Hordeum Distichon

Rye or any ingredients containing the genus species name Secale Cereale

Soy or any ingredients containing the genus species name Glycine Soja

Thanks again for contacting us. We hope you will continue to enjoy your favorites from Bath & Body Works and The White Barn Candle Co. If we can do anything else for you, please feel free to reply to this e-mail (please do not change the subject line) or call us at 1-800-395-1001.

Sincerely,

Catherine Campbell

Catherine Campbell
Customer Relations Representative
Dx & gluten-free since 12/09/05

Positive blood and endo test
Boston, MA

What doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger

#8 sclark9602

sclark9602

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 08:12 PM

I don't know if these messages are erased over time but I'm basically posting this to save the letter from BBW. Thanks everyone.

#9 Guest_Norah022_*

Guest_Norah022_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2006 - 08:14 PM

I live for Bath & Body Works Products. Now I have only been gluten-free for a few weeks but I have come to realize that only food upsets my stomach. I haven't had to change shampoo or cosmetics or anything.
Is this normal with Celiac's to only have food problems?

#10 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 08:05 AM

I live for Bath & Body Works Products. Now I have only been gluten-free for a few weeks but I have come to realize that only food upsets my stomach. I haven't had to change shampoo or cosmetics or anything.
Is this normal with Celiac's to only have food problems?

Actually, you would need to ingest it for it to cause a problem. Maybe you never do this, but I have long hair and sometimes get shampoo in my mouth. For lotion, if it's on your hands, and you eat, you may get it in your mouth. Some of us worry about it, others I'm sure do not. I apparently have a secondary wheat allergy because if I get it on my skin, I will break out in a weird rash.
gluten-free 12/05

#11 zip2play

zip2play

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 08:54 AM

I too, have no problems with those type products.

Monica

#12 happiestgirl

happiestgirl

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 01:46 PM

This whole topic interests me intensely. I didn't even think about my toiletries being gluten-free. I have never had anything but the most wonderful experience with Bath & Body Works - lotions, creams, and all! But the best lotion for my skin happens to be Aveeno (with oatmeal). It keeps my skin balanced and not irritated. But I will definitely be watching out for accidental ingestion from now on. Thank you so much for bringing this topic to the front.

It's always something new, isn't it? Well, for me, it is. OK, so I am Celiac. I can't eat like normal people anymore. OK. So I am now one of those pain-in-the-tuchus people who have to have "special" food and now, apparently (and possibly) even shampoo and lotion and everything else. Please don't get me wrong, I'm just venting here. I am so very glad for the information on these boards, because without y'all, I would probably be a whole lot sicker than I already am. But do you folks sometimes ever think that Celiac has rushed in and taken your real life hostage and you can never pay the ransom?! Ok, I've never been what people would consider, "normal," but I at least had a decent mask of normalcy for others to see. But now....I mean, I know how much pain and sickness I have when I cheat and eat a can of Spaghetti-o's in the middle of the night, or when friends order pizza not realising (or remembering) that I am not supposed to have it (but I do). And this doesn't happen that often, but for all the pain and sickness it causes, sometimes it's worth the cheat just to feel human/normal again. I do keep to the diet about 85-90% of the time, though. I have other contributing health factors and such, but the one that is particularly depressing (besides the depression-lol) is being Celiac. Oh, I don't know what I'm saying now. I'm just rambling. Please forgive me. And again, thank you for this new information. :)

#13 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 01:51 PM

Happiest -- please don't cheat!! It's not good for you and you'll feel much better if you don't do it!! I know it's hard, but there are many gluten-free alternatives, it just takes planning. When you cheat, it damages your intestines, it's not just making you temporarily ill like too much alcohol would, it's different, it's causing real damage!! End of lecture ... ;)
gluten-free 12/05

#14 happiestgirl

happiestgirl

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 07:08 PM

Happiest -- please don't cheat!! It's not good for you and you'll feel much better if you don't do it!! I know it's hard, but there are many gluten-free alternatives, it just takes planning. When you cheat, it damages your intestines, it's not just making you temporarily ill like too much alcohol would, it's different, it's causing real damage!! End of lecture ... ;)

Thanks so much for the "lecture." I needed it. Seriously. I am trying to take care of my Mom, who has just recently had her hip replaced, and then we live with two other roommates who could give a flying flip about my health. I know my Mom cares, but she has her own issues right now. And I can explain and explain ad nauseum to other people, but they just look at me with that "deer-in-the-headlights" look, and I just drop the subject. I just feel so alone and often I figure , 'why bother?' And the thing is, I can tell within minutes of eating something that I'm not supposed to, because the pain in my gut is wrenching. Yet I persist eating a thing or two here and there that are off-limits. I guess I am still in a bit of denial...or would it be rebellion? Anybody else ever felt like that?

Anyhow, thanks again for the lecture. It's so hard to change so much of your life all at once. I guess I just feel overwhelmed...and unworthy. Have a blessed night!!

#15 tiredofdoctors!!!

tiredofdoctors!!!

Will NOT let this disease diminish me!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 01:50 PM

Denial and/or rebellion is probably VERY normal early in this stupid disease process. I posted on another thread, someone wanted to cheat . . . this may convince you to be very stringent with regard to gluten:

http://jnnp.bmjjourn...eprint/72/5/560

Redundant, I know, but if you could see the way I walk, the things I can't do because of GLUTEN -- you'd be extremely rigid . . .

I just don't trust BBW -- they can say what THEY do or don't put in their products, but they don't question their suppliers from whom they purchase about their ingredients.

Please take care of yourself -- you deserve that. Best of luck to you in this (sometimes very long) road to recovering . . . Lynne
Lynne

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I'll try tomorrow".

"There's not a word yet, for old friends we've just met. Part Heaven, part space, or have I found my place? You can just visit, but I plan to stay, I'm going to go back there some day." Gonzo, in the Muppet Movie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: