This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Accupuncture And Celiac

aprilh

aprilh Apprentice

I am going Thursday for accupuncture (my first time). My friend told me it helps with allergies. I am willing to try anything at this point. Anyone try this?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

rinne Apprentice

I have been going for acupuncture twice a week since the end of January and I do feel it is helping. I started going because I was experiencing extreme inflammation and sharp pains throughout my GI tract. I had seen a doctor who prescribed medication I didn't trust and at the time did not know about the Celiac. It wasn't until May when I saw a Gastro that I made the connection. I had been avoiding wheat for some time because I knew it was a problem so making the transition to gluten free has been a challenge but not a surprise.

When I first started seeing the Acupuncterist I was extremely constipated and bloated and I am now having regular bowel movements. I know that is connected to the gluten and dairy free diet also. It feels the two are working together to heal me.

I had an interesting converstion with him today about "sub-health". He said that acupuncterists feel there is a time in between health and illness and if during that time people make changes they may stop serious illness from occuring, they call this stage sub-health. Further, he said that some people are more sensitive to these sensations of illness and so more prone to take action. If the action they take is to seek help through the western system, which at that point cannot diagnose what is wrong with them, and they take medication which suppresses the symtoms they will get seriously ill. He believes that acupuncture can help people during this stage to health and I do too.

The most signifigant way in which it is helping me is allowing me to access information from my body. I feel like I ignored myself until I crossed a line and once I crossed that line I could no longer read what my body was telling me, acupuncture has put me back in touch with my body. I told him one day that for my whole life I had only ever seen the rocks, I would climb up again and again and jump over and over onto the rocks and I had never even known that there were pillows that I could jump onto and that now I understood that I had a choice. He said that this was more important than his treatments, that this is what acupuncture works for, for the body's ability to know and choose what will support health.

oceangirl Collaborator
I have been going for acupuncture twice a week since the end of January and I do feel it is helping. I started going because I was experiencing extreme inflammation and sharp pains throughout my GI tract. I had seen a doctor who prescribed medication I didn't trust and at the time did not know about the Celiac. It wasn't until May when I saw a Gastro that I made the connection. I had been avoiding wheat for some time because I knew it was a problem so making the transition to gluten free has been a challenge but not a surprise.

When I first started seeing the Acupuncterist I was extremely constipated and bloated and I am now having regular bowel movements. I know that is connected to the gluten and dairy free diet also. It feels the two are working together to heal me.

I had an interesting converstion with him today about "sub-health". He said that acupuncterists feel there is a time in between health and illness and if during that time people make changes they may stop serious illness from occuring, they call this stage sub-health. Further, he said that some people are more sensitive to these sensations of illness and so more prone to take action. If the action they take is to seek help through the western system, which at that point cannot diagnose what is wrong with them, and they take medication which suppresses the symtoms they will get seriously ill. He believes that acupuncture can help people during this stage to health and I do too.

The most signifigant way in which it is helping me is allowing me to access information from my body. I feel like I ignored myself until I crossed a line and once I crossed that line I could no longer read what my body was telling me, acupuncture has put me back in touch with my body. I told him one day that for my whole life I had only ever seen the rocks, I would climb up again and again and jump over and over onto the rocks and I had never even known that there were pillows that I could jump onto and that now I understood that I had a choice. He said that this was more important than his treatments, that this is what acupuncture works for, for the body's ability to know and choose what will support health.

I've used acupuncture since I had a case of pneumonia several years ago that would NOT heal! I gave up on Western medicine and all the antibiotics and went to see my acupunturist who I then saw routinely once every two weeks for over a year. She cured me- well, we did it together. I am a huge believer. I see her now to help me with my GI issues and I truly believe it helps so much. In fact, thanks for reminding me- I need to make an appt. I hope you liked it and it went well, but it does take some time before you reap big benefits.

lisa

Archived