This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Dishwashers To Iodized Salt

Kaycee

Kaycee Collaborator

I'm so totlly frustrated and at my wits end. My diet choices are getting narrower and narrower. Holiday was great when away, no problems, no stomach complaints, but now they are returning as in stomach discomfort and diahrea.

Just a few questions

1 Do you use cups etc from dishawashers at work? Beginning to wonder whether the work one could have gluten floating around, or else it could be the detergeants used in it that could be annoying me. What do you think? Is this a valid comment, or am I being a bit paranoid.

2. If you lived in clean green New Zealand like me, would you drink the water in a metropolitan area? Or should I be like everyone else in the world and drink bottled water? I am a bit slow in bottled water area, only drink it when I can't find a tap. But if it is better for my health than the so called treated water, I will do it. Has treated water got additives that could be harmful. Bottled water is starting to sound great.

3. What about an aluminium tea pot at work? Would that pose a threat? It is filled with water from a zip that is constantly hot, could that be a problem? I don't personally like that, and would rather a fresh kettle of water to boil as needed.

4. What about iodized salt, is this a problem for us?

I am really scraping the bottom of the barrell to find out what is bugging me. I should be scraping a barrell of wine!

I have for the last few weeks given up all legumes, apart from frozen peas, all peanuts, most additives and preservatives and colours. Still have dairy, so maybe that is next to cross off. My diet seems to be totally natural, so it could be something to do with the water which has been treated.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

1. the cups...I scrub our dishes before they go in the dishwasher; but who knows at work...

2. you lucky dog to live in New Zealand - I don't know what they do to your tapwater. I would watch out for fluoride, that's a bad one. Lots of bottled water tests to have germs in it; and some of it is even just tapwater bottled up (thanks both Coke and Pepsi). I think it depends on your municipality. We get, yearly and by request whenever we want, reports of what is found in our drinking water. Maybe you can request that.

3. you mean teapot, as in, you're not boiling the water in the aluminum pot, but it is steeping in there. I don't know. I avoid aluminum in everything, but I'm kindof a hippie that way. I use cast iron or ceramic...but it probably wouldn't be causing health problems for you right now - I think that is more alzheimers and the like later.

4. I eat only sea salt or himalayan crystal salt. Iodized salt has been processed and is not particularly good for you. Iodine can be had from sea veggies pretty easily, I don't know if you eat those much.

But I don't know. I'd quit dairy FIRST - so many people have problems with it.

I had ongoing problems. I feel great now. This is just me, but this is what I did:

1. quit all wheat

2. quit all dairy

3. quit all soy

got diagnosed with celiac

4. quit all gluten

5. quit all grains

6. quit all legumes

7. quit all refined sugars

8. added back organic nicely treated animal meat (slowly, was veggie for 15 years)

Okay, I know that sounds limiting, but I am feeling really great. I eat veggies, fruits, nuts, meats, oils. It's a bit extreme by the standards of what everyone else is eating, I know...but frankly, it fits well the human digestive system, which is what I'm carrying around with me.

I hope you get some more potential answers to your questions; and I hope you feel better soon.

Take care.

WHAT WAS DIFFERENT WHILE YOU WERE 'AWAY' ON HOLIDAY? MAYBE THEREIN LIES THE CLUE YOU NEED.

Kaycee Collaborator

WHAT WAS DIFFERENT WHILE YOU WERE 'AWAY' ON HOLIDAY? MAYBE THEREIN LIES THE CLUE YOU NEED.

On holiday, it was a different town, different water.

My mother's cooking

No teapot, acutally no tea, just green tea and coffee.

More or less same food as here

No dishwasher, just dishes in the sink, like at home here.

No kissing the husband while away, as he had to look after the kids back home.

No stress maybe?

No work, total relaxation.

Didn't sleep as well away, but felt better.

But I love my job, so where would the stress be in that.

kabowman Explorer

I keep my own cups at work - no dishwasher. I drink plain green tea or sleepytime at work - no shared cups - I gave up coffee at work because of GERD and only drink a cup and a half at home now.

I don't kiss hubby on lips unless I know he has been gluten-free and has washed out his mouth/off his lips since he had gluten, or anything else that bothers me.

I drink tap water for everything - probably not great for you but I don't want to spend the $$ for bottled water.

I would think the tea pot, for just boiling water should be fine.

I only use sea salt because of corn derivites added to keep them from becoming clumpy.

Sarah8793 Enthusiast

On holiday, it was a different town, different water.

My mother's cooking

No teapot, acutally no tea, just green tea and coffee.

More or less same food as here

No dishwasher, just dishes in the sink, like at home here.

No kissing the husband while away, as he had to look after the kids back home.

No stress maybe?

No work, total relaxation.

Didn't sleep as well away, but felt better.

But I love my job, so where would the stress be in that.

:unsure: ummmmm, hmmmm, for me leaving my kids and husband back home to go see my Mom and have her cook for me could make me just about forget any illness :D:D:rolleyes: Seriously, your problems probably were still with you but because of the lack of stress you handled them better. That is my guess. I know that happens to me. When I went on vacation I could almost forget that I was feeling like crap. I think Bully4You's suggestions are excellent. If you haven't considered dairy, I would definitely start there. Good luck, :)

Sarah

lovegrov Collaborator

At work, it's probably a good idea to be paranoid about anything that everybody eslse uses. I do use the microwave but the stuff I heat is in a container I brought.

I can't answer about the water. Some studies have shown that in some places tap water is better than some bottled waters. Or buy one of those small pitchers with a filter.

Iodized salt is not a gluten concern. I prefer kosher when cooking.

richard

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Iodized salt is only a problem if you have any skin problems linked to gluten intolerance. My DH just hung on and on even gluten free until I realized that my Hair and Skin vitamins had iodine in them. I switched to a vitamin that does not contain iodine and my last sore is finally healing.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Kaycee Collaborator

Thanks to all your replies.

Yesterday, after trying so careful with everything, I had a eureka moment.

For so long I have been telling myself that dairy is not a problem. How could it be? My head was being buried in the sand. I had changed a few months back from margarine to butter, as it had less additives. What with everything else going on with my body, I have slowly been eliminating lots of things. and additives seemed like a real evil to me. Maybe some things I have eliminated were wrong, but I will test them one by one and see how it goes, over a period of weeks, or months.

So this eureka moment, was when I had some corn crackers with butter on them, and not long later I had the cramps in my stomach and the bloating. No brain fog, which I got the other day when I accidently licked an envelope (think that was it).

Then I realised that while on holiday I had not had butter and hardly any dairy, the only dairy being the milk in my coffee a couple of times a day. Plus yoghurt, but from what I hear that has lactase, which is different from lactose, and hopefully not a problem. I've been having that everyday since I don't know when. So that got me thinking that that could be it dairy. I could be wrong, I have got a lot of things wrong lately. So I am going to eliminate that now, and work from there.

It is getting to look more and more like a caveman diet. The husband says, well you will be eating offal then. Yuck. I don't think so.

Cathy

kabowman Explorer

My SD can have yogurt and cheese but not much milk, my son cannot have ANY dairy without his lactose pills.

Glad you figured this out!

Sarah8793 Enthusiast

I'm glad you figured out what it could be. I know what you mean about the caveman diet. I can't have dairy either nor very much sugar. I figure at this rate I should live a long healthy life. :D

Sarah

BRUMI1968 Collaborator
Thanks to all your replies.

It is getting to look more and more like a caveman diet. The husband says, well you will be eating offal then. Yuck. I don't think so.

Cathy

I'm actually on the Paleolithic Diet and it is doing me a world of good. You can google it if you want to find out more. It's a bit challenging at first (especially for me as I was vegetarian...WAS vegetarian)...but I swear I finally feel like I'm full of life, instead of just a body dragging itself around this crazy world.

Good luck.

Kaycee Collaborator
I'm glad you figured out what it could be. I know what you mean about the caveman diet. I can't have dairy either nor very much sugar. I figure at this rate I should live a long healthy life. :D

Sarah

I always thought I was going to live a long life. Now I think like you I will live a longer life. I just hope there is someone around to be there with me!

Cathy

Kaycee Collaborator
I'm actually on the Paleolithic Diet and it is doing me a world of good. You can google it if you want to find out more. It's a bit challenging at first (especially for me as I was vegetarian...WAS vegetarian)...but I swear I finally feel like I'm full of life, instead of just a body dragging itself around this crazy world.

Good luck.

The diet of our pre-agricultural ancestors consisted of meats, insects, vegetables, fruits, and nuts.

Found that on the net, but I don't think I will be sampling the insect bit!

Apart from that it sounds fine.

Where does wine fit in to this diet? That would be fruit I guess, it has to be.

I am slowly getting to this type of diet, all I need to do now is cut out the rest of the grains that I eat, i.e. corn and rice.

You all have been wonderful on this forum. And I might add, looking at all your photos, you are all beautiful and young. So I am in good company, even though I am old enough to be your mothers.

I might not have got here without you, quite so soon, (am I there yet?) but I think I have been heading this way all along. I am not saying it is easy, it has been damn hard. The thing that keeps me going is the fact that if I eat something stupid, I will suffer. No body wants to suffer. I did naively at first think that cutting out the gluten was the magic answer, and it was for a few weeks. But then, like so many other people, that phase disappeared and I learnt that gluten was not the only problem. I thought for a long time, when the second phase arrived, that I was being glutened, but it was without alll the brain fog, so I now realise it was something else I was ingesting.

This is saying quite a lot for a person who would eat anything and everything I wanted, because I wanted to and could and not think of the consequences. I thought my diet was healthy! Maybe I was a bit overweight, but I could still walk those miles without puffing. I thought those with allergies were being a bit precious. and maybe it was all in their head. The only exception, which seems a bit odd and probably prophetic, would have been to peanut allergies, as a pupil at the school I work at has the deadly form, and to coeliac, because an aunt through marriage had the disease. But look what has happened to me! I am now one of those people I was deriding! The tide has turned, and I am beginning to understand what other people are going through. Never again will I pooh pooh someones diet. Not even those who think they are coeliac and have done nothing about trying to prove it. If they feel better on it, then that is fine.

With this comes knowledge, and I know my diet absolutely stunk. I indulged in so much rubbish. But now I am on the road to recovery. It is an interesting ride, I trip when I gluten myself. Meeting a lot of wonderful people on the way. But I want to live a bit longer than I was going to. But this ride is so full of learning, to be honest knowing I have this horrid disease has given me a new zest for life, for living. I was the one who a few years back, before meeting future hubby, and before diagnosis, was thinking what will I do when my children don't need me anymore. I told myself that if it got all too hard, I could end it if necessary (Maybe that was depression that sometimes goes with the disease). That is the furtherest from my mind today. Life is for me, I will enjoy it.

Thanks to everyone here, I feel I belong in a gluten free world.

Cathy

• 2 weeks later...
ms-sillyak-screwed Enthusiast

-

Kaycee Collaborator
HOW ARE YOU FEELING? Any better?

1.) DISHWASHER - MY FEELING IS THEY AREN'T REALLY SAFE. At work they might not have the hot water hot enough. And food particles stick and cling-on to dishes, cups, pots and pans. Have you ever noticed the food particles that gather in the drain of the dishwasher? You are NOT paranoid!

2.) DISTILLED WATER ONLY. Most of what I've read they say bottled spring water has minerals in it and it can overload our systems. For years I drank bottled water. Around the time I got sick with celiac disease the home I moved into had a filtered water system that might have been contaminated and I was unaware. It also had fluoride added to the water. The community is now fighting to remove it in Palm Beach county because it's NOT good for people with compromised immune systems, the elderly or infants. When I drank bottled water I felt better, and when I switched to DISTILLED WATER ONLY I felt even better. Even now if I drink anything other than DISTILLED WATER I notice a difference.

3.) STAINLESS STEEL and GLASS BAKING DISHES are safe.

4.) NON IODIZED SALT ONLY. I was gluten dairy free many years. Then all of a sudden mix in major stress and I think some how in combination my consumption of lots iodized salt, soy, green tea were all things that created my thyroid issues.

5.) LEGUMES - SOY, PEAS, BEANS, STRING BEANS, SPROUTS. They contain nitrogen-fixing bacteria. -- I never had a clue about them until I developed the thyroid problem. After you get them out of your system longer you'll get even better. Beware soy is in everything hidden with names like vegetable broth, or natural flavoring, or called lecithin. You have to do more then read the label. It's hard t find tuna packs or cans or a dark chocolate bar without it. I've had to look deeper into what an ingredient really is.

Bully4You -- I'm so glad you are feeling better.

PALEO DIET the book has helped me a lot too. I have also found that ROTATION DIET of the Paleo diet is helping to stop the secondary food allergies from getting worse. Rotaion is very important no one ever tells us that, and don't eat the same stuff in large quanities either. Rotate the foods 3 to 5 days out and they aren't as reactive on our system.

Stay well!

I am coming right, slowly. Thanks for your concern.

You are right soy is everywhere. Only the day before yesterday, I realized I was still ingesting soy in the margarine I was using, an olive oil based product! I will just have to eat what I ate while on holiday, as that did suit me, but it was rather plain, but easy to manage.

In New Zealand if a product has soy, dairy peanuts, or gluten in, it has to be labelled as such. Those things seem to be what I am avoiding, along with other legumes. And I get frustrated with manufacturers who do not let me know where the get their flavours from.

But as it is, I don't really go for much in the way of processed food, so it is easier to see what is what.

Cathy

gfp Enthusiast
I'm so totlly frustrated and at my wits end. My diet choices are getting narrower and narrower. Holiday was great when away, no problems, no stomach complaints, but now they are returning as in stomach discomfort and diahrea.

Just a few questions

1 Do you use cups etc from dishawashers at work? Beginning to wonder whether the work one could have gluten floating around, or else it could be the detergeants used in it that could be annoying me. What do you think? Is this a valid comment, or am I being a bit paranoid.

Almost definately if people dunk....

2. If you lived in clean green New Zealand like me, would you drink the water in a metropolitan area? Or should I be like everyone else in the world and drink bottled water? I am a bit slow in bottled water area, only drink it when I can't find a tap. But if it is better for my health than the so called treated water, I will do it. Has treated water got additives that could be harmful. Bottled water is starting to sound great.

This depends entirely on YOUR water.

In most cases there is little difference (if any) between bottled and tap. In some cases bottled water is tap water.

In the case of flouride, its only a problem if people add extra flouride in toothpaste or other suppliments.

3. What about an aluminium tea pot at work? Would that pose a threat? It is filled with water from a zip that is constantly hot, could that be a problem? I don't personally like that, and would rather a fresh kettle of water to boil as needed.

Again ... I think this is on the excessive side but if the water is not hot enough and being stored at that temp its a possible breeding ground for bacteria, presuming the water going in is not chlorinated.

Well I have a different view on this.

Most commercial mineral salt is 500 million years old. From my POV would you choose a product that was refined before man started polluting the planet or one that is extracted from concentrated polluted sea water today.

I eat only sea salt or himalayan crystal salt. Iodized salt has been processed and is not particularly good for you.

But all salt is 'processed', this is how it is made. Either it is put in lagoons and left to evaporate OR it does it naturally.

When sea water evaporates naturally it makes a whole series of salts. Commercial lagoons produce very thin deposits wheras nature can make deposits kilometers thick... over millions of years. Each of these goes through cycles as the salts crystalise out in a pretty much fixed order.

Because the Zechstein roduced such thick salt deposits the parts of these relating to common salt are very thick and pure so contain a very high NaCl concentration. Somewhere else in the deposit it the NaI, KI and CaI2 not to mention others like strontium salts and at the other end barium salts.

Iodized mineral salt is just adding a little of the iodized layers back in ... whereas iodized sea salt I don't know how they do it? I presume they just add some iodized mineral salt.

I am really scraping the bottom of the barrell to find out what is bugging me. I should be scraping a barrell of wine!

I have for the last few weeks given up all legumes, apart from frozen peas, all peanuts, most additives and preservatives and colours. Still have dairy, so maybe that is next to cross off. My diet seems to be totally natural, so it could be something to do with the water which has been treated.

I would from others experience say diary is probably the top culprit but the dishwasher comes pretty high as well.

Processed water is really only a problem on a different level. I'm not saying it doesn't make a difference just that the difference is a different order of magnitude to gluten. In many ways I am on the semi-paleo bandwagon but what strikes me is the number of 'paleo' people who don't eat raw meat, eggs or fish etc.

Probiotics are one answer but then again most of these are actually found in unprocessed food anyway.

First link I found here Open Original Shared Link

I just wanted to quote

Ruminants are strict vegetarians and have evolved a specialised intestinal compartment containing bacteria capable of breaking down otherwise indigestible plant materials such as cellulose.

Some of these are becoming very popular, one normal way humans get them is unpasturised non vegetarian cheeses transferred via the rennet of the stomach of the ruminant.

Again its the natural or processed route: you can buy the probiotics and swallow capsules to replace what was killed in the pasturisation and sterilisation process or eat the natural product. The same goes for live yogourt cultures etc.

The problem is if you eat mass raised products filled with drugs you don't... and many of the modern farming practices are making this worse and providing breeding grounds for the bad bacteria.

Obviously cattle raised with antibiotics will have less or no good bacteria left to donate.and their organs like liver and kidneys will be concentrates of the toxins they have ingested... chickens raised in batteries are in filthy conditions often the eggs are covered in their own urine and excrement.. and the traditional eggs for breakfast meant new laid eggs collected that morning from free range hens. Even things like fruit are usually covered in yeasts many of which are good ones but we disinfect them, irrradiate them and then coat them in insect protein (in the case of apples)

I think a sensible 'paleo like' diet should contain free range produce with minimal processing ...if this is your leaning.

• 1 month later...
Kaycee Collaborator
Just a few questions

These are the questions I was asking a couple of months back.

1. I now do not use the dishwasher at work to clean the utensils I am eating with. The other day, the bottom of the dishwasher had tons of those instant noodles in it! Whew, luckily, I don't have to worry about that.

2. I still drink the water from the tap, but will not touch the filtered water at work, nor the zip that has been fed from the water filter. I either take my own flask of hot water (would love a whisky in it) or heat the water in the microwave. That works fine. On top of that I use my own coffee, and lactose free milk.

3. I don't worry about the tea at work. I drink coffee.

4. Iodised, salt, still no change with that, I still use it.

Well I have found it extremely hard to keep on track. But it seems by taking these measures, my D is disappearing. It could be the water that has been through the filter. It could all be mind over matter, but I am sure there is an improvement.

I am not sure what people at work think. They probably think I have lost it. But who cares, it is my health that is important. The boss and the caretaker gave me a hard time when I asked whether the filter had been changed recently. No-one knew for sure when it had last been changed. But it took another 6 weeks nearly before it was changed! So once it had been changed, the caretaker approached me with the old filter, which had ben conveniently cut in half by him, and said in all seriousness "it's black inside, it sure needed a change!" Then added it is a carbon filter, and that is why it was black, but looking on the outside of it, it did not seem very clean.

I did re-introduce milk in all it's many forms, but that was a mistake, and the d came back. I am totally off soy, will give it a go sometime, but really, the only thing I would eat with soy in would be chocolate, and I have found a flake bar, with no soy, but unfortunately a bit of dairy in, it is nice for a treat.

Peanuts are still out, and I found out this morning that avocados give my stomach a hard time too. But I feel I am on the right track to getting to the bottom of all this.

Just thought you would like an update on how things are going. Nothing is ever as clear as you or I, think it should be. Sometimes it takes me 5 guesses to work out what was irritating my system.

Have got a tupperware party tonight, so I better not get too carried away and buy everything.

Cath

oceangirl Collaborator
These are the questions I was asking a couple of months back.

1. I now do not use the dishwasher at work to clean the utensils I am eating with. The other day, the bottom of the dishwasher had tons of those instant noodles in it! Whew, luckily, I don't have to worry about that.

2. I still drink the water from the tap, but will not touch the filtered water at work, nor the zip that has been fed from the water filter. I either take my own flask of hot water (would love a whisky in it) or heat the water in the microwave. That works fine. On top of that I use my own coffee, and lactose free milk.

3. I don't worry about the tea at work. I drink coffee.

4. Iodised, salt, still no change with that, I still use it.

Well I have found it extremely hard to keep on track. But it seems by taking these measures, my D is disappearing. It could be the water that has been through the filter. It could all be mind over matter, but I am sure there is an improvement.

I am not sure what people at work think. They probably think I have lost it. But who cares, it is my health that is important. The boss and the caretaker gave me a hard time when I asked whether the filter had been changed recently. No-one knew for sure when it had last been changed. But it took another 6 weeks nearly before it was changed! So once it had been changed, the caretaker approached me with the old filter, which had ben conveniently cut in half by him, and said in all seriousness "it's black inside, it sure needed a change!" Then added it is a carbon filter, and that is why it was black, but looking on the outside of it, it did not seem very clean.

I did re-introduce milk in all it's many forms, but that was a mistake, and the d came back. I am totally off soy, will give it a go sometime, but really, the only thing I would eat with soy in would be chocolate, and I have found a flake bar, with no soy, but unfortunately a bit of dairy in, it is nice for a treat.

Peanuts are still out, and I found out this morning that avocados give my stomach a hard time too. But I feel I am on the right track to getting to the bottom of all this.

Just thought you would like an update on how things are going. Nothing is ever as clear as you or I, think it should be. Sometimes it takes me 5 guesses to work out what was irritating my system.

Have got a tupperware party tonight, so I better not get too carried away and buy everything.

Cath

Cathy

I am like you- constantly adjusting my diet and retracing steps to figure out what is bothering me. I, too, am largely paleo, although I chuckled at GFP's comment re: not tearing raw meat off bone with my trusty incisors. I am hoping to put dairy back in someday, but I'm nervous. Maybe I'll try some goat cheese one day. I am soy, gluten, dairy corn and legume free. It IS a bit limiting. AND almost NO refined sugars! That's hard because I always liked a bit of dark chocolate everyday and really BELIEVED in it. I'm thin and can use a little "sugar boost" at work. Haven't found a chocolate that's free of all those things yet- hope I do! No one has mentioned wine- I am an avid wine-drinker (with dinner) and SURE hope I don't have to give that up, too! I actually think besides relaxing me and reducing stress, it helps me digest. Just wanted to throw that two cents in in favor of the fruit of the vine! Hope you continue to do better!

lisa

Kaycee Collaborator
Cathy

I am like you- constantly adjusting my diet and retracing steps to figure out what is bothering me. I, too, am largely paleo, although I chuckled at GFP's comment re: not tearing raw meat off bone with my trusty incisors. I am hoping to put dairy back in someday, but I'm nervous. Maybe I'll try some goat cheese one day. I am soy, gluten, dairy corn and legume free. It IS a bit limiting. AND almost NO refined sugars! That's hard because I always liked a bit of dark chocolate everyday and really BELIEVED in it. I'm thin and can use a little "sugar boost" at work. Haven't found a chocolate that's free of all those things yet- hope I do! No one has mentioned wine- I am an avid wine-drinker (with dinner) and SURE hope I don't have to give that up, too! I actually think besides relaxing me and reducing stress, it helps me digest. Just wanted to throw that two cents in in favor of the fruit of the vine! Hope you continue to do better!

lisa

Thanks Lisa.

No-one has mentioned wine have they. Well I had been drinking, since being diagnosed earlier this year, the vodka, the gin, I even tried Irish Cream. But, I don't think any of them agreed with me. Nobody in NZ seems to put on the labels what is in their alcohol, so it can be hard to find what is okay to drink. I did drink wine, but I went off it for a few years, as the other alcohols were so much nicer and so easy to mix with different things.

Well, now I have gone back to my roots, where my Croation (Yugoslav) grandmother used to give me watered down sherry from when I was all of 5 years old, along with real coffee, not the instant stuff. She also used to feed me on wonderful awesomely great pasta, and wonderful salads which were what she ate as a child in yugoslavia. So I am now drinking wine again, and I can say I am actually enjoying it again. It doesn't make me hung over, not like the gluten does when I accidently eat it. I do miss the other alcoholic bevereges, but will stick with wine for the time being. I still love pasta, but it is so filling. I have been taking a type of cold potato, vege salad with lashings of olive oil to work. Yum. Will use beans the same way soon, with oil and a bit of vinegar. Have still got to gather up the nerve to try anchovies again, they were so salty!

As for eating the meat raw as gfp says he has not seen any of us eat. Well in all honesty, I don't feel quite so hungry, so I don't feel the need to tear into the meat before it is cooked. I'm sure caveman found fire!

Cath

oceangirl Collaborator
Thanks Lisa.

No-one has mentioned wine have they. Well I had been drinking, since being diagnosed earlier this year, the vodka, the gin, I even tried Irish Cream. But, I don't think any of them agreed with me. Nobody in NZ seems to put on the labels what is in their alcohol, so it can be hard to find what is okay to drink. I did drink wine, but I went off it for a few years, as the other alcohols were so much nicer and so easy to mix with different things.

Well, now I have gone back to my roots, where my Croation (Yugoslav) grandmother used to give me watered down sherry from when I was all of 5 years old, along with real coffee, not the instant stuff. She also used to feed me on wonderful awesomely great pasta, and wonderful salads which were what she ate as a child in yugoslavia. So I am now drinking wine again, and I can say I am actually enjoying it again. It doesn't make me hung over, not like the gluten does when I accidently eat it. I do miss the other alcoholic bevereges, but will stick with wine for the time being. I still love pasta, but it is so filling. I have been taking a type of cold potato, vege salad with lashings of olive oil to work. Yum. Will use beans the same way soon, with oil and a bit of vinegar. Have still got to gather up the nerve to try anchovies again, they were so salty!

As for eating the meat raw as gfp says he has not seen any of us eat. Well in all honesty, I don't feel quite so hungry, so I don't feel the need to tear into the meat before it is cooked. I'm sure caveman found fire!

Cath

Cath,

Yes, fire is good, eh? The other alcohols are mostly (I think) grain-based, so, not so good for us! I have such an idealized vision of New Zealand- maybe too much adoration of the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy and too many National Geographics as a child- but, it will always have a mythic quality to me! Also, it's quite "neat" to be communicating with someone halfway around the world! Some things about the internet are good! Take care!

lisa

Kaycee Collaborator

Lisa, I couldn't resist this, and I know it is completely off topic, but here is a site about my city, even though it is a small city.

Open Original Shared Link

We are heading towards summer, so we will be able to take advantage of all those beaches, in some places we are described as the city of 100 beaches, I think you would like that, all those beaches.

Cath

oceangirl Collaborator
Lisa, I couldn't resist this, and I know it is completely off topic, but here is a site about my city, even though it is a small city.

Open Original Shared Link

We are heading towards summer, so we will be able to take advantage of all those beaches, in some places we are described as the city of 100 beaches, I think you would like that, all those beaches.

Cath

Cath,

OH MY WORD! I am booking my flight now! I suspect my myths would not be debunked! Thank you!

lisa

Archived