This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Am Going Crazy!

Chelle15

Chelle15 Apprentice

My emotions are all over the place! Because I have had diarrhea for almost 2 months after having constipation for years the doctor did blood tests for Celiac and I was told I have "two positive markers" and need to get a biopsy, so I have a consult a week from today. I feel like crap and I don't know if it is all in my head. I have struggled with depression, but right now I am so emotional and all over the place. I feel like I could cry. I am so wrapped up in myself and I need to just forget about it until I get the final diagnosis. Does two positive markers mean I probably have it? Any input on how to cope while waiting to get the final testing? I feel like I am ill, mentally and physically.

Thanks for all of your support so far and any further info you can give me on how to cope. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I am so glad I found these message boards!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

eleep Enthusiast

Your symptoms and feelings do sound very much like Celiac -- I had the crazy mood swings as well -- and the two positive markers are definitely more indication than I got at that stage in the diagnosis (I had to get genetic testing for total confirmation). It helped me a lot to focus on the fact that I would eventually feel better, that my moods were more about my body than anything going on in my life and that they would subside once I went gluten-free and got through the process of withdrawing from gluten. One of the distractions I used even before I took the step of eliminating it (still waiting to see if I was going to have an endoscopy) was to read up as much as I could on this board and to start thinking about my strategy for dealing with this stuff once I eliminated it -- looked at what my personal care products and stuff were that contained gluten, put together a collection of recipes and such that I would use, stocked up on Immodium (does help the moods too -- has to do with blocking endorphin receptors -- there's something about it on the board).

Other people may have some more concrete suggestions about managing the symptoms.

Ursa Major Collaborator

If you use Immodium, be aware that the liquid Immodium has gluten in it. If you have two positive markers, you have celiac disease, even if the scope would be negative. Because the endoscopy often misses the damage.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Your not going crazy you are celiac. Welcome to the boards. After you have your endo please become gluten free even if the results are negative. Your depression should lift after you have been gluten-free for a while. Make sure that you eliminate gluten completely from your world after the tests.

mle-ii Explorer
If you use Immodium, be aware that the liquid Immodium has gluten in it. If you have two positive markers, you have celiac disease, even if the scope would be negative. Because the endoscopy often misses the damage.

Ugg! Really? You mean I've been glutening myself after being glutened? No wonder I feel like crap even when taking it.

Is there something similar that works quickly and doesn't contain gluten?

Chelle15 Apprentice

You cannot imagine the help and support you have given me. No one wants to hear me talk about it anymore, so it is nice to come here and be able to talk about it and get my questions answered. Thank you for taking the time to help me feel a little better. :D So glad to have found this board.

StrongerToday Enthusiast
Ugg! Really? You mean I've been glutening myself after being glutened? No wonder I feel like crap even when taking it.

Is there something similar that works quickly and doesn't contain gluten?

Pepto and regular Immodium - but NOT soft chews!! - are fine.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mle-ii Explorer
Pepto and regular Immodium - but NOT soft chews!! - are fine.

I'm really confused now. What exactly is fine and what is not? Sorry, but I'm not going to take any more chances and get sick. Regular immodium to me is the liquid.

Is there a list?

eleep Enthusiast

You want the Immodium caplets -- I don't know what else is gluten-free. Also, I don't know whether the CVS generic version of Immodium is gluten-free as well, so you probably want the brand name (or at least to confirm).

Archived