Get email alerts Get E-mail Alerts Sponsor: Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE email alerts

• Announcements

• Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Store. For Additional Information: Subscribe to: Journal of Gluten Sensitivity

Celiac Testing

2 posts in this topic

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the reliability of the various gluten sensitivity tests is.

Here is the background on my situation. I have suffered from stomach problems for the past decade or so. I have been to several doctors and other than diagnosing my problem as Irritable Bowel Syndrome they have offered no useful advice or solutions. Recently a friend suggested that I get tested for gluten sensitivity, as my problems seem to match the symptoms of Celiac disease. At the time I lacked health insurance and was unable to see a doctor but as an experiment cut gluten out of my diet and after a week or so began to feel a little bit (a very little bit) better. A few months later I finally managed to see a doctor who ordered a Gliadin/Gluten Antibody Test, which came back positive. At this point I had been on a gluten free diet for several months but had made a point to eat some gluten the day before the test. After consulting with a gastroenterologist my doctor ordered a second test this time an Anti-Endomysial AB IGA. This was about a week and a half prior to the first test during which time I had gone back to a gluten free diet. When the results came back on the second test my doctor informed me that I was not gluten intolerant. I was told that the gastroenterologist had said that the first test was basically meaningless and that according to the second I was in the clear.

Here is my question(s). What is the accuracy of the Gliadin/Gluten Antibody Test versus the Anti-Endomysial AB IGA Test, and how much does the fact that I was already on a gluten-free diet affect the test results of both? Assuming that my diet did affect my test results, how long should I reintroduce gluten into my diet before getting retested and how much gluten do I need to have in my diet during this period?

I know this is a lot of questions but my doctor has been spectacularly unhelpful through all this (he didn't believe gluten sensitivity could even be tested until I showed him a book describing the tests) so any information people can give would be much appreciated.

being gluten free may very well have given you a false negative. you would need to eat plenty of gluten for ... I think many people suggest 6-8 weeks... before the tests are done.