This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

French Fries

skullkennel

skullkennel Newbie

Who'd have thought that frozen frech fries have wheat in them? After all, they are potatos. I have yet to find gluten-free french fries but Albertson's brand Tater Tots are OK! Just be sure not to fry them in oil that french fries were fried in (DH didn't know any better). I ate french fries from McD's twice before reading the ingredients on a bag of frozen french fries at Wal-Mart and Albertson's. Well, that mystery has been solved. No fast food french fries!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Franceen Explorer

It has been noted on this forum in the recent past that Ore-Ida Tater Tots (most/all types) are Gluten Free!

I looked at the ingredients about 6 months ago and thought they weren't. Then I looked again recently and they appeared ok from the label.

Clan Thompson's Smartlist (recent release) has most of Ore-Ida's products as gluten-free but does not mention Tater Tots! Hmmmm.

frenchiemama Collaborator

OreIda makes fries called Fast Food Fries that are really good, and definitely gluten-free.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Cavendish plain straight cut, shoestring, country, and crinkle cuts are gluten-free. I have never noticed a problem with them.

I have also had Valleyfield (sp?) and I haven't noticed any problems with their fries either.

Felidae Enthusiast
Cavendish plain straight cut, shoestring, country, and crinkle cuts are gluten-free. I have never noticed a problem with them.

Where can you buy this brand? I haven't had frozen fries since I was a kid!

Carriefaith Enthusiast
Where can you buy this brand? I haven't had frozen fries since I was a kid!
I used to buy Cavendish fries at Sobey's on PEI. In Alberta, I have been looking for them and I think that the only place I saw them was Cosco. I have found Valleyfield at Zellers here in Alberta.
gf4life Enthusiast

There is a brand of frozen potato products that I love called Alexia. They make garlic fries, oven fries, mashed potato and more. And they are marked gluten free on the label. I have gotten them at Whole Foods and at Save Mart.

Also a lot of the Ore Ida products are gluten free as well.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I had Alexia fries once and didn't notice any problems. I see Alexia fries in health food stores.

I have also had McCains fries once and didn't notice any problems either. Here are some statements on their website:

"I see that you have a clear allergen statement on your products. I have Celiac Disease and have seen some of your products read ''gluten free''. I was wondering if you could tell me the source of the caramel coloring in your products? McCain Foods USA, Inc. has policies and procedures in place to significantly reduce the likelihood of cross-contact of food allergens in our frozen potato products. Every production facility incorporates the Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) program, in addition to Corporate Quality Assurance Procedures, to minimize the occurrence of food-sensitive reactions to our finished product. At this time, the source of our caramel coloring is corn."

"Do the new McCain Smiles® fun shaped potatoes have dairy, gluten, egg, or soy in them? This product contains no ingredients sourced from dairy, gluten (wheat, oats, barley, rye, malt), egg, or soy."

Open Original Shared Link

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

I bought Wegmans french fries since there a big sale last week, their bag has the gluten free G on it. They were very good, too.

olalisa Contributor

go to ore-ida.com and click on FAQ's. Then you can go to an extensive list of their gluten-free products. I'd put the link here but I'm to stupid to figure out how that's done :blink::P:lol:

ENJOY!

2Boys4Me Enthusiast
I have also had McCains fries once and didn't notice any problems either. Here are some statements on their website:

"I see that you have a clear allergen statement on your products. I have Celiac Disease and have seen some of your products read ''gluten free''. I was wondering if you could tell me the source of the caramel coloring in your products? McCain Foods USA, Inc. has policies and procedures in place to significantly reduce the likelihood of cross-contact of food allergens in our frozen potato products. Every production facility incorporates the Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) program, in addition to Corporate Quality Assurance Procedures, to minimize the occurrence of food-sensitive reactions to our finished product. At this time, the source of our caramel coloring is corn."

"Do the new McCain Smiles® fun shaped potatoes have dairy, gluten, egg, or soy in them? This product contains no ingredients sourced from dairy, gluten (wheat, oats, barley, rye, malt), egg, or soy."

Be sure to read the label on each McCain's product. Don't just grab one and go. Some of the "supreme" or "crispy" fries contain wheat. Also, I have never seen gluten-free written on a Canadian McCains package, but we haven't purchased fries in a while. I usually use potatoes and make oven baked fries with my own spices.

LyndaK Rookie

I thought Oreida Fries were safe but then I bought the 5# family bag (to save money). I then got sick then I remembered something about bag size makes a difference. Is this true?

Franceen Explorer

Here's the link:

according to the site their 5-lb bag is gluten-free. But need to look at exactly which type you have and then the size and compare to this list.

olalisa Contributor
Here's the link:

wowza, Franceen, how DO you do that? ;)

Franceen Explorer

Go to the web page in your browser.

Right click the address in the address line of the browser. Select "copy".

Go to the Forum (here).

Create a post (either new topic or reply)

Right click in the post's text area (the place where you type).

Select "paste" and the link will be pasted into your post.

olalisa Contributor

hey, thanks! I tried it and it works....see?

Felidae Enthusiast
I usually use potatoes and make oven baked fries with my own spices.

I do this too. I just thought it might be nice to eat some junk food. I eat so healthy being gluten-free and all. Thanks everyone for the info. on fries.

• 4 months later...
adam2008 Rookie
OreIda makes fries called Fast Food Fries that are really good, and definitely gluten-free.

On ore-ida's list they say ore-ida extra crispy fast food fries 26 oz are ok. does this include all of the "fast" potatoes? I have extra crispy easy breakfast potatoes and im not sure about them because they are not on the list. The ingredients all seem fine, but i guess there could be contamination issues? The ingredients are:

Potatoes, partially hydrogenated vegetable oil (soybean and cottonseed), salt, dextrose, annatto (vegetable color), sodium acid pyrophosphate, black pepper. So they look ok, but still not sure!

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

OreIda has good ones that are gluten free so good luck....Alexia has some too

prinsessa Contributor

The Alexia oven fries are really good and gluten free. I buy them at Costco. I always cook them a little longer than the package says because I like my fries really crispy. The kids also love them. DD begs me to make them.

loraleena Contributor

All Cascadian farms french fried products are organic, gluten free and yummy.

Archived