26 replies to this topic

#1 lonewolf

lonewolf

Gluten Free pancakes over the fire!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 03:21 AM

My hubby and I went out to eat last night (doesn't happen often) and decided to go to Chipotle. I'd been there once with no problems and he hadn't ever been, so wanted to try it. I didn't ask about gluten-free choices, since I'd seen their website, been there once before and read about it on here. Anyway, hubby got his burrito in a poison tortilla first, then I ordered a burrito bol. I was happy that a different person came to take my order and was putting on clean gloves as she came my way. She got a fresh tray of rice since it was just about out and I was thinking it was too good to be true - I didn't have to ask or worry about CC! So I got a chicken burrito bol with mild tomato salsa and guacamole instead of cheese and sour cream. Halfway through my stomach started gurgling, but I was really hungry so I pressed on. I didn't finish the whole thing because it's a lot of food, but by the time I was done I was burping (hubby wasn't happy with me) and feeling a bit gassy. We decided to go to the park and go for a walk. After walking about 2 miles or so, my burping was getting worse, as was my stomach ache and cramping. I did reach the bathroom in time. Now it's 4:00 am and I still have cramps and gas, but not much else left in there. I thought Chipotle was our friend! Has anyone else had this happen?
Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 happygirl

happygirl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 04:29 AM

Unfortunately, I have! Same thing---changed gloves, ordered gluten-free ingredients......got horribly, horribly, horribly sick. I was so sad. Many others eat there successfully though.

I sure hope you are feeling better soon----I know it is no fun. Take care xoxo

#3 angel_jd1

angel_jd1

Gluten Free Goddess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 05:44 AM

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Chipotle. I have never had a problem there. MMmmmm Burrito bols!!

-Jessica :rolleyes:
Jessica
Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!
Kansas

#4 key

key

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 06:08 AM

I was gluttened there the first time I ate there. Same thing. STarted burping and at the end had the usual heartburn, etc. I get when eating gluten. I too pressed on, because I was starving and was hoping it was something else. I knew as I ate it, I was probably in trouble. Sadly enough, that was two weeks ago. I even ate there one more time and the same thing, but maybe more mildly gluttened that time. I have been scared to go back. I haven't been the same since, but also have been gluttened again a few times. It is SO frustrating, because I can't get my stomach back to normal. I was great for TWO months and thought I would brave eating out again. I know I have to be an ultra sensitive person and for the longest time, I didn't know what bothered me, but finally figured out I can't eat Lay's chips even. I eat tons of Utz's without a problem though.
I am sorry you got so sick. It stinks. For me I have the D, which then turns into C for three days. Feels like I may never get back to normal. This whole week I have been unable to figure out what is going on, but think I got gluttened from a back of chips that everyone that was eating sandwiches was eating out of and I ate out of the same back. Stupid, I know now!
Take care,
Monica

#5 penguin

penguin

Chelsea

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 06:27 AM

I eat there near constantly and have never had a problem. I'm careful never to get cheese or lettuce (they use their hands for that). I also ask them to get new guac for me since sometimes cheese and lettuce falls in. Sorry, I don't know what made you sick :(
Alright, don't worry even if things end up a bit too heavy
We'll all float on, alright
Well we'll float on good news is on the way...

#6 mike2184

mike2184

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 07:44 AM

I eat there all the time as well. I get my burrito bol plain - rice, beans, meat. Then, I add some Tabasco sauce for flavor. I know it is pretty boring, but I haven't any problems.

#7 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 08:42 AM

I've eaten there before without a problem, but don't get the cheese or sour cream (no dairy for me), so don't know if that could have been a problem...
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#8 sspitzer5

sspitzer5

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 09:56 AM

I've had some issues with Chipotle, which I think are from cross contamination.

At the store I go to, they touch the cheese and lettuce with their hands, so I don't get that. The only cc I can see with the borrito bol is that sometimes multiple people move my bol through the process and they haven't all changed their gloves. Thus, sometimes tortilla fingers are touching the inside of the bol itself. I don't see this as a huge thing, but I guess it could be the problem.

I've been mostly ok there, but definitely sick once in a while.

S

#9 lonewolf

lonewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 10:38 AM

The frustrating thing is that I watched the whole process - clean gloves, only working with my food, only one person touching it. All I had on it was rice, black beans, chicken, mild tomato salsa and guacamole. No problem with the lettuce or cheese since I didn't eat any. Hubby is fine and he had the same basic stuff inside a tortilla, so it's not food poisoning. I'm still miserable today. Exactly like the last time I was glutened, so I know it's that.
Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

#10 penguin

penguin

Chelsea

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 10:40 AM

The frustrating thing is that I watched the whole process - clean gloves, only working with my food, only one person touching it. All I had on it was rice, black beans, chicken, mild tomato salsa and guacamole. No problem with the lettuce or cheese since I didn't eat any. Hubby is fine and he had the same basic stuff inside a tortilla, so it's not food poisoning. I'm still miserable today. Exactly like the last time I was glutened, so I know it's that.

I'd guess the guac, since it's inbetween the lettuce and cheese and both fall into it. Sorry you're sick :(

Did you have anything else it could have been?
Alright, don't worry even if things end up a bit too heavy
We'll all float on, alright
Well we'll float on good news is on the way...

#11 lonewolf

lonewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 11:05 AM

I'd guess the guac, since it's inbetween the lettuce and cheese and both fall into it. Sorry you're sick :(

Did you have anything else it could have been?

Hmmm, the guacamole was on the very end at this one, not even near the lettuce and just past the sour cream. I didn't eat anything else yesterday that it could have been. I'm REALLY careful and make almost everything from scratch. I felt great until halfway through my meal, so I know it was that. Oh well, cramps are starting to subside a little bit.
Liz

#12 key

key

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 02:08 PM

Just another thought, when I have been there, I have seen them spoon things onto flour tortilla's and actually spread it around with the spoon and then put it back in the beans. So their is a risk of CC. Also, the first time I ate there, the man changed his gloves for the lettuce and cheese, but if everyone is touching the flour tortilla's etc. then the lettuce and cheese could have been contaminated.

Next time I guess I could not get the lettuce and cheese, but I would definitely miss the lettuce.
Monica

#13 wozzy

wozzy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 08:25 PM

Are you sure it was gluten? Maybe you're just not used to Mexican food? I think Mexican gives most people gas.

Just a suggestion, but it could be gluten too.

#14 lonewolf

lonewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 09:16 PM

Are you sure it was gluten? Maybe you're just not used to Mexican food? I think Mexican gives most people gas.

Just a suggestion, but it could be gluten too.

We eat Mexican food at home at least once a week. I eat a lot of beans, rice, chicken, salsa and avacado, so it's nothing new to my system.
Liz

#15 key

key

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 06:08 AM

I live on Mexican food at home, so no it wasn't just Mexican food.
Monica

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: