32 replies to this topic

#1 DavidB

DavidB

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 05:42 AM

Are there different levels of Celiac? I was sick as a dog last year but now that I have been on the gluten-free diet I feel great. I had pizza and beer last week and didn’t get sick at all. If I stay on the gluten-free diet for a long time can IO cheat occasionally?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,747 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 05:46 AM

Are there different levels of Celiac? I was sick as a dog last year but now that I have been on the gluten-free diet I feel great. I had pizza and beer last week and didn’t get sick at all. If I stay on the gluten-free diet for a long time can IO cheat occasionally?

NO NO NO NO NO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even if you don't think you are reacting your body will still be damaged.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#3 angel_jd1

angel_jd1

Gluten Free Goddess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 05:47 AM

Nope there aren't different levels of celiac. You either "have it" or "don't have it". You can't cheat if you want to be healthy. You are still doing damage to your insides, even if you aren't feeling the pain.

I guess you CAN cheat if you enjoy things such as Cancer. It's up to you. Nobody is going to do this for you.

I hope you make the right choice for your health and stay on the diet.

-Jessica :rolleyes:
Jessica
Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!
Kansas

#4 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 05:48 AM

NO!!!! It will still damage your intestine. That would be like someone in remission with emphysema having an ocassional cigarrette!
gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

#5 DavidB

DavidB

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 05:49 AM

In what way will my body be damaged? Won’t the Velli grow back - hence me not being anemic or sick anymore?

NO NO NO NO NO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even if you don't think you are reacting your body will still be damaged.

#6 taz sharratt

taz sharratt

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 05:52 AM

wouldnt it be good if you could tho. carla hit the nail on the head tho with the cigerrete thing or an alchaholic haveing the ODD drink, it just doesnt work.
married with 3 boys, maclain, dylan and finlay. symptoms for more than 10 years but only diagnosed may 06. lactose and casien intolerant may 06.

#7 VydorScope

VydorScope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 05:53 AM

If your truly have celiac disease, then no you can not cheat. How were you dx'd ?

- Vincent -

#8 DavidB

DavidB

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 05:59 AM

I had a scope and blood test. I don't mean to be rude but I just want to know how my body is being damaged if I have some gluten then remain on the diet - I look at it more like a diabetic than a smoker - The cancer of a smoker does not improve if you quit for a while. I just want to know where I can get this info on what it will do to my body?

If your truly have celiac disease, then no you can not cheat. How were you dx'd ?

#9 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,747 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 06:02 AM

In what way will my body be damaged? Won’t the Velli grow back - hence me not being anemic or sick anymore?

In addition to being bad for your gut gluten is a systemic poison effecting not just your villi but every cell in your body. It can damage many organs leading to neurological problems, including mood disorders like depression and anxiety, it can damage the pancreas leading to diabetes (this can appear even years after being gluten-free I am a case in point for that), it can damage the lymphatic system leading to lymphomas, it can damage the joints and muscles leading to arthritic changes, it can damage the skin leading to psoriasis, acne like lesions and sores resembling herpes the list goes on. It's your body but the prudent thing to do is to avoid it. We get enough damage from accidental glutening and CC but if you want to add to it that's your choice.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#10 VydorScope

VydorScope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 06:06 AM

David,

Everyone has different levels of external reactions to gluten.

Gluten causes an imune response that destroys villa. So while your villa might be healed now (prbly not competely...) re introducing gluten starts destroying them agian.

- Vincent -

#11 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 06:10 AM

I used emphysema as an example because I thought it was a better example than cancer. I like the alcoholic example, too.

You will have the antibodies and autoimmune antibodies wreaking havoc even if the damage isn't bad, yet.
gluten-free 12/05

#12 DavidB

DavidB

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 06:17 AM

Thank you all very much - I wish my doctor would have told me all this. Where can I find this information?

#13 Daxin

Daxin

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 06:22 AM

I suppose I should add one more voiceof concern here. Cheating on the diet is PURPOSELY hurting yourself.

I like the alcohol example. They CAN not drink because of the mental/physical problems it can cause. We can not eat gluten because of the physical damage it can do to our bodies. Granted our bodies will heal, but it maytake longer and longer every time. Especially if you are "cheating" on large amounts of gluten containing products (pizza and beer)

I will admit that I have only been gluten-free for about 2 months, and the temptation to cheat is overwhelming some days. Then I just think about the over 50 lbs I lost before I was diagnosed, and all the problems I was having, and how it was affecting my marriage (much like alcoholics) and I will never cheat.

All that being said ( and I do not mean to lecture. I am sorry if it came off that way) you are your own person, and if it did not effect you this time then that is awesome. But be careful.
Ryan

Positive blood work May 06
Positive results with diet change

#14 Daxin

Daxin

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 06:24 AM

Thank you all very much - I wish my doctor would have told me all this. Where can I find this information?

Seach for "newbie kit" on this site, and there are some great resources out there in internet land. If there is a decent dietician in your area, you can check with them, or try calling the local hospital and see if their dietry planners have any information etc.

Gkad we could be of help. :)
Ryan

Positive blood work May 06
Positive results with diet change

#15 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 06:32 AM

David, I've gotten so much information from this site. You can learn a lot here.

I would think that if you were cheating, say twice per month, that you would have a certain level of antibodies causing damage in your body all the time. So, even though your health would improve from where it was before, you still would not be in optimal health. You probably felt fine because your intestines had a whole year to heal and your one time wasn't enough for you to feel the damage it did. If you did that regularly, then the damage would build up again so that you notice the symptoms. As it was, it caused damage, you just didn't feel the symptoms. It just doesn't seem like it would be healthy to repeatedly damage a body part, let it heal, then damage it again.

As far as different levels of celiac, no, you either have it or you don't. Some people have it longer before diagnosed so some people have more damage at the time of diagnosis, but for everyone, it's still gluten-free for life.
gluten-free 12/05

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: