16 replies to this topic

#1 samking72

samking72

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 07:28 AM

Last night is not the first time that this has happened...

I was so afraid to go to sleep last night because everytime I was almost asleep I would wake up gasping for air. After that it was like I had to tell my brain to breathe. My heart rate was getting faster and faster everytime I woke up. This has happened 4 times in the 6 weeks. Could it be stress related? Anxiety attack? Has anyone ever had this happen? I really thought I was going to die, no joke. I finally just shut down and obviously i made it through the night but this is making me really nervous that it has happened so many times in such a small window of time. Any ideas?
Celiac - 06/06
Lactose Intolerant - 05/06
Tendonitis in wrists, elbows, and shoulder
Arthritis in knees
Anemia
Possible Sleep apnea (waiting on test)
Falling apart :)

Town Maintenance; Construction Worker; Horse Trainer and Trail Guide of Rachelville

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Sarah8793

Sarah8793

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 07:46 AM

I was so afraid to go to sleep last night because everytime I was almost asleep I would wake up gasping for air. After that it was like I had to tell my brain to breathe. My heart rate was getting faster and faster everytime I woke up. This has happened 4 times in the 6 weeks. Could it be stress related? Anxiety attack? Has anyone ever had this happen? I really thought I was going to die, no joke. I finally just shut down and obviously i made it through the night but this is making me really nervous that it has happened so many times in such a small window of time. Any ideas?

This has happened to me. And I was afraid to go back to sleep also. I was afraid I would stop breathing and never wake up. The only thing I have found connected to this is eating something with MSG in it or gluten. Since eliminating these it hasn't happened for awhile.

Sarah
Don't be afraid to reach for the moon. The worst that can happen is you'll miss and land among the stars.

Positive blood work
2 negative biopsies over 4 year period
Postive EnteroLab results
Lactose/Casein Intolerant
Gluten free since May 2006
Soy free since May 2007

#3 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 07:46 AM

You should definitely go see your doctor.

#4 Nancym

Nancym

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 09:35 AM

It sounds like sleep apnea, which can be deadly. Go see your doctor and insist on getting evaluated.

#5 taz sharratt

taz sharratt

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 09:38 AM

thats really frightening, you cant go without sleep you should go see your doctor.
married with 3 boys, maclain, dylan and finlay. symptoms for more than 10 years but only diagnosed may 06. lactose and casien intolerant may 06.

#6 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 09:47 AM

I have that happen to me now and then. A sleep study determined that I have mild sleep apnea. As long as I do not sleep on my back, I am fine.
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

#7 GFBetsy

GFBetsy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 03:38 PM

This happened to my DH while taking anti-depressants . .. could that be a contributing factor?

#8 lorka150

lorka150

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 07:44 PM

i went through this forever until i went gluten-free. they did test after test and found nothing. i was horrified. i went to sleep clinics, but because they 'wake' you when you're there, it didn't happen because it happened when i awoke on my on.

they disappeared after i went gluten-free. i understand your fear. honestly, it was the scariest thing in the world.

are you newly gluten-free?
Gluten-free, Vegan

#9 Lister

Lister

Sidewalks are for skating

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 09:11 AM

i had the same thing for a while, but it would happen right before i fell asleep preventing me from going to sleep, over and over until i would just fall alseep.
i do belive mine where axiety related you should look into it, it seems to be worse on glutened days

#10 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 10:08 AM

You should go to your doctor for sure. Maybe you have an allergy? Those symptoms are similar to my food allergy symptoms. I get heart palpitations, heart pain, fast heart rate, trouble breathing, a feeling like my throat will close over, and hives or a rash.
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

#11 ms_sillyak_screwed

ms_sillyak_screwed

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 07:01 PM

-

#12 Guest_SusieQ_*

Guest_SusieQ_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2006 - 04:24 AM

As we age, and/or when we gain weight, the tissues in the throat can collapse somehow and stop our breathing. That is called sleep apnea.

I was exhausted for years. Thought it was part of my dx. of fibromyalgia. I think that dx. actually was gluten intolerance and sleep apnea now.

A person can wake up hundreds of times a night apparently, just awake enough to take a breath and go back to sleep. However, it interferes with sleep enough so that one doesn't get in to deep sleep and so you never wake up feeling rested.

Get the doc. to order a sleep study for you. If it comes up positive, then you would need a machine for breathing. Air rushes in and it keeps the throat from closing up. I'm very comfortable with mine. Didn't take me long to start feeling better with the machine.

It is really important to get it diagnosed and treated because it can affect ones health in so many ways. It can contribute to heart disease and contribute to high blood pressure to start with. Along with causing automobile accidents from falling asleep at the wheel.
Also, it is, in and of itself dangerous. It can happen that a person just doesn't wake up enough to get that breath, but I don't think it is common, but it does happen.

I'm losing weight since going gluten free and hope to get to where I don't need the machine anymore. Of course, I just plain feel so much better with being able to get some sleep during the night. Not entirely rested now, but lots better.
I hope this helps.

#13 samking72

samking72

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 04:53 AM

Thanks everyone! I'll be going to a sleep clinic for tests very soon. Hopefully that will determine what's wrong. I'm pretty sure it's stress, but we'll see :)
Celiac - 06/06
Lactose Intolerant - 05/06
Tendonitis in wrists, elbows, and shoulder
Arthritis in knees
Anemia
Possible Sleep apnea (waiting on test)
Falling apart :)

Town Maintenance; Construction Worker; Horse Trainer and Trail Guide of Rachelville

#14 Guest_~jules~_*

Guest_~jules~_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2006 - 04:26 PM

When we were kids my brother did that in his sleep all the time, I'd smack him or nudge him to wake up. His wife says he's still doing it, and it scares her to death. I have no clue what it is though sorry.....

#15 GFBetsy

GFBetsy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 07:11 AM

When we were kids my brother did that in his sleep all the time, I'd smack him or nudge him to wake up. His wife says he's still doing it, and it scares her to death. I have no clue what it is though sorry.....

jules -

Talk to your sis-in-law about apnea. Childhood apnea is rarer than adults having it, but it does happen. I've also heard that lots of people who are later diagnosed with sleeping disorders were first diagnosed with ADD or ADHD. (Inability to sleep well leads to inability to concentrate.) So if he has trouble concentrating, that might be another sign that he's having sleep problems. Anyway, if I were you I'd try to talk my brother into going to a sleep clinic. My husband is going later this month because I'm tired of smacking and nudging him to wake up. Besides, I know that once I'm asleep no one wakes him up when he stops breathing. And that scares me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: