This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Wonderful News

jayhawkmom

jayhawkmom Enthusiast

I'm still pretty new to this forum - so I wasn't here during the beginning of the doctor/hospital visits for our daughter.

Briefly... at 22 months, my daughter weighed 28 lbs.

On May 18th, at 2 months away from her 5th birthday - she weighed 30 lbs. The last time her height was checked, she was 39" tall. She wasn't even ON the growth charts. She'd completely fallen off.

Tummy aches, "D", vomitting... numerous doctor visits, and finally the word "Celiac" mentioned - more doctor visits, blood draws, tests, Upper GI, Endoscopy.... etc. Blood tests all high normal, except IgG - off the charts. Endoscopy - duadinal ulcers, consistant with celiac, but no damaged villi - so no diagnoses.

Prevacid for ulcers, gluten-free diet recommended.

June 13 - 30 lbs, 39" --- started gluten-free diet

July 26 - 5 year well child checkup ---- 33 lbs and 40" !!!!

And, she's back ON the growth charts, at 8th percentile and 10th for height.

This diet IS working!!!!

I am THRILLED!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Sarah8793 Enthusiast
I'm still pretty new to this forum - so I wasn't here during the beginning of the doctor/hospital visits for our daughter.

On May 18th, at 2 months away from her 5th birthday - she weighed 30 lbs. The last time her height was checked, she was 39" tall. She wasn't even ON the growth charts. She'd completely fallen off.

Tummy aches, "D", vomitting... numerous doctor visits, and finally the word "Celiac" mentioned - more doctor visits, blood draws, tests, Upper GI, Endoscopy.... etc. Blood tests all high normal, except IgG - off the charts. Endoscopy - duadinal ulcers, consistant with celiac, but no damaged villi - so no diagnoses.

This diet IS working!!!!

I am THRILLED!!

This is so wonderful to hear!! :):) Happy for your daughter!

Sarah

angel-jd1 Community Regular

Congrats. I'm sure you are breathing a sigh of relief!!

-Jessica :rolleyes:

jerseyangel Proficient

Wonderful news! :D

wolfie Enthusiast

Wow....great news! :)

lonewolf Collaborator

That's great to hear. You must be so relieved to find out what can help her be healthy!

zip2play Apprentice

That is great news! How exciting for you all!

I see your ID is jayhawkmom. You a KU fan? Live near Lawrence KS? That's where I live. Has your 8 year old been tested?

Monica

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Cheri A Contributor

Congrats to you and your dd!!

jayhawkmom Enthusiast
I see your ID is jayhawkmom. You a KU fan? Live near Lawrence KS? That's where I live. Has your 8 year old been tested?

Hi Monica. Yes, big KU fans, yes...we live near Lawrence - we are in the KC Metro. My 8 year old was tested a few years ago, but not recently. He doesn't have any outward symptoms but I do (now) realize that it's not necessary to HAVE outward symptoms. At 2, his pediatrician sent us for testing since he hadn't really gained much weight between 1 and 2. Then again at 5 we were sent for testing due to behavioral issues. They did some sort of peptide tests looking for "problems" related to gluten/casein.

But, I'm starting to have concerns about my baby. That's a whole other story.

Tori's Dad Apprentice

Awesome! It's amazing how quickly they start to gain weight. Our 5 yr old weighed 30 pounds on May 22 when she was diagnosed. By June 22nd she had gained 3 lbs. That's 10% of her body weight.

Nikki2003 Contributor

That is great. Can I ask you how long she was on the diet before she started gaining and doing better?

THanks for any answers

Braunson's-mom Rookie

Hi since you all are for Ks (I live 30 mi south of Salina) who do you dr with. We had Dr San Plablo at Children Mercy and didn't like him at all. We finally just put him on a gluten-free diet and then had sucess. Please let me know of a good dr because in 20mo of a gluten-free diet we have never had a check up. My ped would like to know if we are on the write track. Since putting Braunson on the diet my 9yr old and my self have all started the gluten-free diet. We still have 3 children not on it and my husband. My nephew last week was started on the diet. With great success. None of us have a celiac diagnosis but all have had postitive dietary change.

jenvan Collaborator

That's great! Keep up the good work mom! :D

taz sharratt Enthusiast

This diet IS working!!!!

I am THRILLED!!

oh well done you !! im thrilled for you too, this is fab news.i have a 5 year old to who is patly sighted and when things start to turn aroung for them its the best and you just wanna shout it from the roof tops. great!!!!

zip2play Apprentice

I too cannot suggest a KS doctor. MY GI Dr would completely disagree with me having gluten issues. He was full of CRAP! He felt, negative biopsy, NO ISSUES!

But, positive diet response....to me proves it!

Jayhawk, can your 8 year old go gluten free to see if it helps or changes things?

Funny thing, we live here in Lawrence, have for 10 years. My husband graduated from K State. WE have a 7 year old boy that EATS/SLEEPS/BREATHS KU! As you know, K State and KU polar opposites! I just have to sit back and laugh at it all! I am a Missouri girl! ;)

Monica

Archived