Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Smoking And Celiac Disease

49 posts in this topic

I would like to know if anyone out there knows about cigareette smoking and celiac sprue disease. Is there a major problem with smoking and celiac disease that I should know about. Please let me know asap.

Thank you GClrdsprn

Ads by Google:

The only thing I've heard is that the onset of symptoms in smokers may be delayed.

I would like to know if anyone out there knows about cigareette smoking and celiac sprue disease. Is there a major problem with smoking and celiac disease that I should know about. Please let me know asap.

Thank you GClrdsprn

I'm a smoker :ph34r: My biggest problem was when they changed the glue they used in making them. All of a sudden my lips started to blister. You would have thought that would have got me to quit but I found a brand that didn't do that. Another issue is that some companies will put gluten containing ingredients in the ciggarettes themselves. I believe this is because they are aware of the addictive nature of gluten and increases the chance of you staying with their brand once hooked. I have 'quit' quite a few times and Walmart's nicotine patch is gluten-free. Many of the others have gluten in the glue, I would get DH sores from the patches. For myself I think maybe it's time to try again.

I'm a smoker :ph34r: My biggest problem was when they changed the glue they used in making them. All of a sudden my lips started to blister. You would have thought that would have got me to quit but I found a brand that didn't do that. Another issue is that some companies will put gluten containing ingredients in the ciggarettes themselves. I believe this is because they are aware of the addictive nature of gluten and increases the chance of you staying with their brand once hooked. I have 'quit' quite a few times and Walmart's nicotine patch is gluten-free. Many of the others have gluten in the glue, I would get DH sores from the patches. For myself I think maybe it's time to try again.

Really- is this DEFINITELY true? If so, what brands use gluten?

I'D LIKE TO KNOW TOO.

JUDY IN PHILLY

I'd like to know too. I'm going to try and quit again :)

I know that Chrones Disease, smoking is actually encouraged. That is if you were a smoker before dx'd.

I'm a smoker and all I can say is that since I have celiac disease my immune system is WAAY low and I have bronchitis at least 3 times a year. I also have scarring on my lungs from who knows where. I know I should quit, but when you have to give up just about everything you like, you get kind of bitter about it.

Tobacco is a nightshade and some Celiacs are sensitive to nightshades... I smoke and have Celiac... not a good idea to smoke anyway tho... wish I could quit.

Don't really know about the healing process with a smoker vs non-smoker, you might want to ask your doctor.

Floridian-

a fellow rachelvillian a smoker- I thougt I would be booted out of town if i admitted this.

miamia

Floridian-

a fellow rachelvillian a smoker- I thougt I would be booted out of town if i admitted this.

miamia

Shoot, I"m the Mayor, and I smoke, but I will go outside though.......... ;)

But maybe by the time I get to Rachelvill, I'll quite???

No tobacco on the compound, ladies, it makes the geese nervous! ;)

Seriously y'all, I know it's hard, but you've got to quit! I know you can do it!!! :)

I only smoked for like, a year, so I didn't have the longstanding addiction to deal with. I did watch my mom quit though after smoking since she was a teenager! Ironically, she's now allergic to cigarette smoke.

I need to quit too but at least I'm in good company with you rachel-villites. :P

Shoot, I"m the Mayor, and I smoke, but I will go outside though.......... ;)

But maybe by the time I get to Rachelvill, I'll quite???

Yes maybe we can quit before we get there- I have cut down so much but those last few are killing me .

miamia

Ok, I say people can smoke in the smoking area in R-ville. It's not so easy to quit. I quit almost six months ago and it has not been easy at all. I will say that the psychological part is the hardest for me. I used the patch for about 2 months and then weaned myself off from there.

If anyone wants to talk about it just email me. It's a struggle, and not really feeling like it has been worth it but I know that day will come. I just got so sick of every time I got a cold it went to my lungs. There are a few things I tell myself:

What would I do if I knew the next one I picked up was the one that gave me lung cancer

I tell myself not to make it romantic

I tell myself having one really won't make the situation any better

I can't have one because for me they travel in packs

The other thing that helped initally was that I didn't carry any money with me so I would have to actually write a check and that would require some thought

I don't know there is no easy way, I am just trying to stay away from them. I haven't really exposed myself to them because the desire is way too strong

Really CC you thought it would get you kicked out? Never

:D Hi everyone! Storm's over so I thought I'd check back here -can't sleep-just had a smoke out on the wet patio. I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!! I thought I was the only one in R'ville!!! So, is this the smoking section? I quit/started up/quit/started up at least 3 times since March. I am like ravenwoodglass-I changed brands because of lip blisters. I think it was in the "Dangerous Grains" book that I read that it is very hard for a celiac to quit smoking. I forget the exact reason given. Will look that up. Also, I really, really need the nicotine after a bad bout of D. It has a relaxing effect on my intestines. Maybe I am just weird, but I have noticed this for years. My neighbors all quit, and I was going to quit with them, but I backslid again. Geez, they are all substituting with foods and snacks and using the patch. I cannot handle that patch. It gives me nightmares and makes me jittery. (excuses, excuses, I know, I know) I guess I really like it too much. Please don't hate me. :blink:

The only thing I've heard is that the onset of symptoms in smokers may be delayed.

I heard that too

And I have just realised I gave up smoking 16 years ago, maybe i should not have, cause that would be about the time I started getting symptoms

Silly me

Can it all be reversed if i start smoking again?

cathy

Wow everybody--I think after reading this thread that there may be more smokers in Rachelville than non smokers! :D No one will be kicked out of R'ville for smoking--the Vice Pres. has spoken! :P

I smoked for 8 years, up until I got pregnant with my first child. I was SO nauseous that I literally couldn't smoke (or eat, for that matter). I just never started again after he was born, although the cravings lasted for a long time--actually, after all these years, after a nice meal, I still remember how much I enjoyed a cigarette :ph34r:

This thread is making me want to smoke. :lol: ... :( ...:lol:

There is something wonderful about smoking with others, has anyone else noticed the way people will inhale at the same time?

I think it is a pity that we have taken what was once a ceremony and turned it into a "bad habit". I think the First Nations people had it right. Smoking really should be something we do together, therefore I would never wander out by myself to the patio to......

:ph34r:

Ok, I say people can smoke in the smoking area in R-ville. It's not so easy to quit. I quit almost six months ago and it has not been easy at all. I will say that the psychological part is the hardest for me. I used the patch for about 2 months and then weaned myself off from there.

If anyone wants to talk about it just email me. It's a struggle, and not really feeling like it has been worth it but I know that day will come. I just got so sick of every time I got a cold it went to my lungs. There are a few things I tell myself:

What would I do if I knew the next one I picked up was the one that gave me lung cancer

I tell myself not to make it romantic

I tell myself having one really won't make the situation any better

I can't have one because for me they travel in packs

The other thing that helped initally was that I didn't carry any money with me so I would have to actually write a check and that would require some thought

I don't know there is no easy way, I am just trying to stay away from them. I haven't really exposed myself to them because the desire is way too strong

Really CC you thought it would get you kicked out? Never

Maybe in rachelville we can invent a cigerette that isn't bad for you. I am the chef maybe I can come up with something!!!

Miamia

Maybe in rachelville we can invent a cigerette that isn't bad for you. I am the chef maybe I can come up with something!!!

Miamia

I long for that day!!!!!!! I feel like it's one of the few things I haven't HAD to give up. Of course, I won't smoke when I get pregnant, but I really like it too. :(

Miamia That would be grat if you could invent somehting!

Berneses: I smoked through all 3 of my pregnancies, but then people didn't give you such a hard time about it.

I grew up in a smoking home, and it totally screwed up my sinuses. I had huge adenoids that never went down and too-small sinuses that had to be widened, the ENT said that it was a result of all the smoke...

I think my mom quit soon after surgery. :blink:

Miamia

If you do that, I'll be the first in line. :D

I know that my Celiac Symptoms didn't get really bad until after I quit smoking. I started again right around diagnosis, and have found that it really does settle my stomach when I'm not feeling well. I know its a bad thing, but even my doctor isn't that stressed about it right now. I know that I will definitly quit when I decide to have kids though. My new BF is a non-smoker too, so who knows, I might quit sooner than that.

Elonwy