This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Smoking And Celiac Disease

GClrdsprn

GClrdsprn Newbie

I would like to know if anyone out there knows about cigareette smoking and celiac sprue disease. Is there a major problem with smoking and celiac disease that I should know about. Please let me know asap.

Thank you GClrdsprn

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest BERNESES

The only thing I've heard is that the onset of symptoms in smokers may be delayed.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
I would like to know if anyone out there knows about cigareette smoking and celiac sprue disease. Is there a major problem with smoking and celiac disease that I should know about. Please let me know asap.

Thank you GClrdsprn

I'm a smoker :ph34r: My biggest problem was when they changed the glue they used in making them. All of a sudden my lips started to blister. You would have thought that would have got me to quit but I found a brand that didn't do that. Another issue is that some companies will put gluten containing ingredients in the ciggarettes themselves. I believe this is because they are aware of the addictive nature of gluten and increases the chance of you staying with their brand once hooked. I have 'quit' quite a few times and Walmart's nicotine patch is gluten-free. Many of the others have gluten in the glue, I would get DH sores from the patches. For myself I think maybe it's time to try again.

Guest BERNESES
I'm a smoker :ph34r: My biggest problem was when they changed the glue they used in making them. All of a sudden my lips started to blister. You would have thought that would have got me to quit but I found a brand that didn't do that. Another issue is that some companies will put gluten containing ingredients in the ciggarettes themselves. I believe this is because they are aware of the addictive nature of gluten and increases the chance of you staying with their brand once hooked. I have 'quit' quite a few times and Walmart's nicotine patch is gluten-free. Many of the others have gluten in the glue, I would get DH sores from the patches. For myself I think maybe it's time to try again.

Really- is this DEFINITELY true? If so, what brands use gluten?

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

I'D LIKE TO KNOW TOO.

JUDY IN PHILLY

TERESE Rookie

I'd like to know too. I'm going to try and quit again :)

Guest BERNESES

I found this at:

Open Original Shared Link

and this:

https://www.celiac.com/st_prod.html?p_prodi...-30106488193.13

Obviously I'm not implying that smoking is good for you!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

I know that Chrones Disease, smoking is actually encouraged. That is if you were a smoker before dx'd.

jenyanderson Newbie

I'm a smoker and all I can say is that since I have celiac disease my immune system is WAAY low and I have bronchitis at least 3 times a year. I also have scarring on my lungs from who knows where. I know I should quit, but when you have to give up just about everything you like, you get kind of bitter about it.

miamia Rookie
Tobacco is a nightshade and some Celiacs are sensitive to nightshades... I smoke and have Celiac... not a good idea to smoke anyway tho... wish I could quit.

Don't really know about the healing process with a smoker vs non-smoker, you might want to ask your doctor.

Floridian-

a fellow rachelvillian a smoker- I thougt I would be booted out of town if i admitted this.

miamia

Lisa Mentor
Floridian-

a fellow rachelvillian a smoker- I thougt I would be booted out of town if i admitted this.

miamia

Shoot, I"m the Mayor, and I smoke, but I will go outside though.......... ;)

But maybe by the time I get to Rachelvill, I'll quite???

penguin Community Regular

No tobacco on the compound, ladies, it makes the geese nervous! ;)

Seriously y'all, I know it's hard, but you've got to quit! I know you can do it!!! :)

I only smoked for like, a year, so I didn't have the longstanding addiction to deal with. I did watch my mom quit though after smoking since she was a teenager! Ironically, she's now allergic to cigarette smoke.

Guest BERNESES

I need to quit too but at least I'm in good company with you rachel-villites. :P

miamia Rookie
Shoot, I"m the Mayor, and I smoke, but I will go outside though.......... ;)

But maybe by the time I get to Rachelvill, I'll quite???

Yes maybe we can quit before we get there- I have cut down so much but those last few are killing me .

miamia

Rikki Tikki Explorer

Ok, I say people can smoke in the smoking area in R-ville. It's not so easy to quit. I quit almost six months ago and it has not been easy at all. I will say that the psychological part is the hardest for me. I used the patch for about 2 months and then weaned myself off from there.

If anyone wants to talk about it just email me. It's a struggle, and not really feeling like it has been worth it but I know that day will come. I just got so sick of every time I got a cold it went to my lungs. There are a few things I tell myself:

What would I do if I knew the next one I picked up was the one that gave me lung cancer

I tell myself not to make it romantic

I tell myself having one really won't make the situation any better

I can't have one because for me they travel in packs

The other thing that helped initally was that I didn't carry any money with me so I would have to actually write a check and that would require some thought

I don't know there is no easy way, I am just trying to stay away from them. I haven't really exposed myself to them because the desire is way too strong

Really CC you thought it would get you kicked out? Never

Guest Robbin
:D Hi everyone! Storm's over so I thought I'd check back here -can't sleep-just had a smoke out on the wet patio. I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!! I thought I was the only one in R'ville!!! So, is this the smoking section? I quit/started up/quit/started up at least 3 times since March. I am like ravenwoodglass-I changed brands because of lip blisters. I think it was in the "Dangerous Grains" book that I read that it is very hard for a celiac to quit smoking. I forget the exact reason given. Will look that up. Also, I really, really need the nicotine after a bad bout of D. It has a relaxing effect on my intestines. Maybe I am just weird, but I have noticed this for years. My neighbors all quit, and I was going to quit with them, but I backslid again. Geez, they are all substituting with foods and snacks and using the patch. I cannot handle that patch. It gives me nightmares and makes me jittery. (excuses, excuses, I know, I know) I guess I really like it too much. Please don't hate me. :blink:
Kaycee Collaborator
The only thing I've heard is that the onset of symptoms in smokers may be delayed.

I heard that too

And I have just realised I gave up smoking 16 years ago, maybe i should not have, cause that would be about the time I started getting symptoms

Silly me

Can it all be reversed if i start smoking again?

cathy

jerseyangel Proficient

Wow everybody--I think after reading this thread that there may be more smokers in Rachelville than non smokers! :D No one will be kicked out of R'ville for smoking--the Vice Pres. has spoken! :P

I smoked for 8 years, up until I got pregnant with my first child. I was SO nauseous that I literally couldn't smoke (or eat, for that matter). I just never started again after he was born, although the cravings lasted for a long time--actually, after all these years, after a nice meal, I still remember how much I enjoyed a cigarette :ph34r:

rinne Apprentice

This thread is making me want to smoke. :lol: ... :( ...:lol:

There is something wonderful about smoking with others, has anyone else noticed the way people will inhale at the same time?

I think it is a pity that we have taken what was once a ceremony and turned it into a "bad habit". I think the First Nations people had it right. Smoking really should be something we do together, therefore I would never wander out by myself to the patio to......

:ph34r:

miamia Rookie
Ok, I say people can smoke in the smoking area in R-ville. It's not so easy to quit. I quit almost six months ago and it has not been easy at all. I will say that the psychological part is the hardest for me. I used the patch for about 2 months and then weaned myself off from there.

If anyone wants to talk about it just email me. It's a struggle, and not really feeling like it has been worth it but I know that day will come. I just got so sick of every time I got a cold it went to my lungs. There are a few things I tell myself:

What would I do if I knew the next one I picked up was the one that gave me lung cancer

I tell myself not to make it romantic

I tell myself having one really won't make the situation any better

I can't have one because for me they travel in packs

The other thing that helped initally was that I didn't carry any money with me so I would have to actually write a check and that would require some thought

I don't know there is no easy way, I am just trying to stay away from them. I haven't really exposed myself to them because the desire is way too strong

Really CC you thought it would get you kicked out? Never

Maybe in rachelville we can invent a cigerette that isn't bad for you. I am the chef maybe I can come up with something!!!

Miamia

Guest BERNESES
Maybe in rachelville we can invent a cigerette that isn't bad for you. I am the chef maybe I can come up with something!!!

Miamia

I long for that day!!!!!!! I feel like it's one of the few things I haven't HAD to give up. Of course, I won't smoke when I get pregnant, but I really like it too. :(

Rikki Tikki Explorer

Miamia That would be grat if you could invent somehting!

Berneses: I smoked through all 3 of my pregnancies, but then people didn't give you such a hard time about it.

penguin Community Regular

I grew up in a smoking home, and it totally screwed up my sinuses. I had huge adenoids that never went down and too-small sinuses that had to be widened, the ENT said that it was a result of all the smoke...

I think my mom quit soon after surgery. :blink:

jerseyangel Proficient

Miamia

If you do that, I'll be the first in line. :D

elonwy Enthusiast

I know that my Celiac Symptoms didn't get really bad until after I quit smoking. I started again right around diagnosis, and have found that it really does settle my stomach when I'm not feeling well. I know its a bad thing, but even my doctor isn't that stressed about it right now. I know that I will definitly quit when I decide to have kids though. My new BF is a non-smoker too, so who knows, I might quit sooner than that.

Elonwy

Archived