This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Starbucks Gluten-free Cookie?

MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

Our Starbucks has a gluten-free cookie and my brother says they're good. I haven't tried them but he bought me one. I can't find any information on them.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

amybeth Enthusiast

Interesting....I have been emailing them regularly asking them to carry some gluten-free items - and received no response. I'll have to swing by and see if our store is carrying them. Thanks for the heads up!

jenyanderson Newbie

YAY!!!!! :ph34r::ph34r: and where would this Starbucks be??? :ph34r:

jenvan Collaborator

Seriously? Wow.

jaten Enthusiast

More info, please!!?? :)

Turtle Enthusiast

You're not kidding right??? What state are you in???

amybeth Enthusiast

Emailed Starbucks re: cookie -- got a standard form email in response encouraging me to contact "my" store. I guess they think people are loyal to one particular Starbucks and wouldn't dare enter one in another city or state........

Sorry, but I've tried and tried to get straight answers from them and they are just frustrating.

I've tried corporate and "my" store --- grrrrrrr.

Hopefully, one of us will find the mystery cookie, soon!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast

Yea, but when we find this legendary cookie, will it be in the case next to the regular ones? I can't wait to hear about someone finally finding one!! I'm glad that they are at least carrying roasted almonds now!

swittenauer Enthusiast

Wow! I would love to go to Starbucks & grab a cookie when I get some coffee. Sounds nice!

Turtle Enthusiast

CarlaB:

I agree with you.....this is ONLY a wonderful thing if the gluten-free Cookie isn't being CC'd by the regular cookies....or CC'd on the line, etc.

If anyone ever gets through to Starbucks w/ more details please share...I'll look around too & try to help out.

At least we can still get the coffee.....THANK YOU LORD!!!

Lauren M Explorer

I heard about the gluten-free Starbucks treat (didn't know it was a cookie) but heard that it was placed in the case with the other food items. Maybe you could ask for one right out of the package, but I haven't found anything gluten-free at any Starbucks around me. I'm not a fan of the coffee, either.

- Lauren

Turtle Enthusiast

I don't drink their coffee often b/c of the price and I like to make mine at home w/ gluten-free flavored creamer but it's a good back up plan if i'm ever on the road for work & need a "fix". HAHA!

samking72 Rookie

Maybe the mystery cookie is actually the marshmellow square? That's the only thing that I can think of and I don't trust it anway. Major CC alarm!!

CarlaB Enthusiast

I asked at our Starbucks today and the manager said it was not available on the order form, but that different regions have different forms, so other regions may have them.

• 2 weeks later...
angel-jd1 Community Regular

I just read on another forum about this mysterious gluten-free treat. Here is what they have to say :

The Starbucks in Charleston, SC are now selling a peanut butter gluten free whoppie pie! It is awesome. I still have not seen anything posted on their website about it though.

***********************************************************************************

I called Starbucks Corporate Public Relations and inquired about the peanut butter whoopie pies. A few days later the the same person called me back and told me that their whoopie pies were indeed gluten-free. The person advised me that the main ingredient in the cookie part was rice flour. This individual seem very knowledgable of gluten and said that they get a lot of inquires concerning gluten.

***********************************************************************************

Ok those are the highlights of the conversations...............anyways...it's a little more info than we had

-Jessica :rolleyes:

jayhawkmom Enthusiast
I just read on another forum about this mysterious gluten-free treat. Here is what they have to say :

We must have read that in the same place... I also just read that. And, felt happy for 2 seconds until I saw the words "Peanut Butter" -- and then I got upset. Since, it's a peanut butter whoopie pie. =( For someone who can't eat peanuts, gluten free or not... it "ain't no treat."

=(

Feelin' a bit let down.....

angel-jd1 Community Regular
We must have read that in the same place... I also just read that. And, felt happy for 2 seconds until I saw the words "Peanut Butter" -- and then I got upset. Since, it's a peanut butter whoopie pie. =( For someone who can't eat peanuts, gluten free or not... it "ain't no treat."

=(

Feelin' a bit let down.....

That does totally stink. I'm a peanutbutteraholic.......so it's good for me, bad for you :( Maybe if it is successful they will come out with some other varieties?!?!

-Jessica :rolleyes:

hineini Enthusiast

I was told by Starbucks that the only item they have that is gluten-free is the Marshmallow Squares (rice krispie treats). Has anyone gotten sick from eating this item?

I was excited that they had macaroons a few weeks ago, but called and found out there was wheat in them. Macaroons are a traditional Jewish Passover food and they never have wheat in them! HOw obnoxious and unnecessary to add wheat to a product that really needs nothing to coconut, sugar and egg whites! Bah.

I am glad some of you all have access to a gluten-free "whoopie pie" (whatever that is!) ... I hope they start having them in my area, too. I try not to eat too much processed food but sometimes I just want to feel normal and buy a pastry to go with my coffee!

elonwy Enthusiast

There is a good chance the marshmallow squares have malt in them, and if they are indeed made with Rice Crispies, they are not gluten free. Most commercial puffed "rice cripsy" cereals have malt.

Elonwy

jayhawkmom Enthusiast
I was told by Starbucks that the only item they have that is gluten-free is the Marshmallow Squares (rice krispie treats).

If they are made with rice krispies... they are NOT gluten-free!!

edited to add.... Woops, i see that's already been addressed.....

hineini Enthusiast

They're not made with Rice Krispies, that's why they call them "Marshmellow Squares"....

CarlaB Enthusiast
They're not made with Rice Krispies, that's why they call them "Marshmellow Squares"....

In that case, you would have to know what kind of cereal they use to know for sure.

debmidge Rising Star

RE: marshmallow treats made outside your home

Unless the person making them used gluten-free rice krisp cereal, you should question them. Most commercial cereal has the barley malt in them and that's not gluten-free.

RE: Whoopie Pies

Whoopie Pies - a baked treat found in Amish areas. Two flattish round chocolate cake layers (4" diameter about) with a fluffy white boiled frosting inside (think Devil Dog, which is not gluten-free). If the cake is gluten-free and the filling is gluten-free then it's an OK treat to eat. I'm sure they can be made at home using gluten-free ingredients.

hineini Enthusiast

Well, all I know is that I asked Starbucks (called their CS line) and they confirmed that marshmellow squares are gluten-free. It's up the individual to trust them or not. I seriously doubt they're made in a gluten-free facility, and would have doubts in general about information provided by Starbucks after hearing a number of stories here from people who found their products had hidden gluten ingredients.

I had a marshmellow square from S'bux the other day and it didn't make me sick, but I haven't been confirmed Celiac so I'm certainly no one to use as a gauge!

And mmm... Whoopie pies sound tasty, I hope the gluten-free ones make their way out here to CA!

• 1 month later...
kimjoy24 Apprentice

I just wanted to let anyone in the metro Atlanta area know that I found the gluten-free peanut butter whoopie pies at the Starbucks at Peachtree and 7th in Midtown Atlanta, right across the street from the shiny new Spire high-rise condo building. The cashier checked with the manager who verified they are gluten-free (there was no tag on it in the display case).

It's pretty tasty, though quite sweet, so I only ate half of it in one sitting.

Archived