This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Should I Bother My Dx

Lister

Lister Rising Star

Im trying to justify calling my doctor about everything thats still wrong. these are my ownly complaints that i either a. want answers for or b. want some help fixing

1. the fatige, i eat balanced meals and its not helping, i literaly fell asleep while walking today at work and bashed my head onto the freezer

2. wierd stomic noisis/ pain like burning pain if i dont eat offten enough(fixable with eating but sometimes its like every 30 minutes

3.colon health? maybe colonoscopy? thinking maybe i should wait 10 years but if theres something wrong i wanna fix it now

also on the side

i went camping for the first time since i was 8 this weekend. and after one night i woke up and felt like complete poop, is this normal from camping? im thinking maybe it was the campsites water we did not notice until morning but the water is grey and smelled like rotton eggs. i used some of it to "clean" my dishs

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gf4life Enthusiast

Are you anemic? Are you only off gluten?

I ask because anemia can cause fatigue (as can many other things), but there is most likely something that you are still deficient in that is causing the fatigue, iron, B vitamins, etc...

A lot of people are also intolerant to dairy (very common) and also many other foods and this can cause many symptoms to continue. I went dairy free while staying on gluten waiting for the biopsy, and amazingly many of my stomach issues improved even though I was still on gluten. Of course I had other worse symptoms from eating gluten, but a lot of the stomach noises, gas, bloating, burning pain in my intestines, all improved when I cut dairy. I was off dairy for over a year, and when I reintroduced it again it took over 6 months before I started have problems again. I am mostly dairy free now. I don't stress the dairy as much as the gluten and occasionally have a small amount when eating out.

A colonoscopy would probably not be a bad idea regardless of your age.

Lister Rising Star

i was tested to see if i was anemic and that was a negative. i am currently gluten-free/casien free have been for about 5 months now(no cheating either) besides for a tiny tiny bit of milk in stuff here and there like premade stuff that has a lil milk but not like huge ammounts

im taking vitemans and sublingual b12s so its really frustrating to still feel this way

loraleena Contributor

Lister, please look into candida overgrowth!!

taz sharratt Enthusiast
i was tested to see if i was anemic and that was a negative. i am currently gluten-free/casien free have been for about 5 months now(no cheating either) besides for a tiny tiny bit of milk in stuff here and there like premade stuff that has a lil milk but not like huge ammounts

im taking vitemans and sublingual b12s so its really frustrating to still feel this way

are your vits milk free, the reason i ask was i had to chuck all my vits out as they all contained milk, suitable for vegans is a good tip when buying vits. sorry if ive got it wrong.

Lister Rising Star

hmmmm that i dont know, i take centrum advanced no clue if that has milk

as for the candida overgrowth, i have suspected that for a while now. i took one of the online quizes and i scored 50 points above the highest slot. and my spit test makes a instant octopuss. so yeah, i just cant convice my doctor to listen about it

ravenwoodglass Mentor
hmmmm that i dont know, i take centrum advanced no clue if that has milk

as for the candida overgrowth, i have suspected that for a while now. i took one of the online quizes and i scored 50 points above the highest slot. and my spit test makes a instant octopuss. so yeah, i just cant convice my doctor to listen about it

Lister have you called the company about those vitamins yet? I could be wrong but I don't think those are gluten free. You really sound like you are still getting gluten I would change to a vitamin that says gluten free right on the box.

I just did an online search for the ingredients of this vitamin. They may have gluten couldn't verify that for sure but they DEFINEATELY have dairy. You need a certified gluten-free and Dairy free vitamin, these are keeping you sick.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

I called the company, as I take these vitamins--they are certified to be gluten-free. Not all Centrum products are, but the Advanced definately are gluten-free. The do contain milk ingredients, though.

Guest southgoingzax

I've been gluten-free for three years, dairy, soy, and egg-free for 6 months. I am still experienceing fatigue. This is something you definitely want to check out. I have had a lot of problems with getting regular doctors to listen to my complaints...You may want to try to find a Naturopath or wholistic care doctor (it'll usually say in their advertisments). They seem to be willing to run other tests than the standard bloodwork ones and listen to your symptoms much more. I had other symptoms for 2 1/2 years that I couldn't get any doctor to listen to on run tests about until I found a nurse practitioner with a degree in nutrition who was actually willing to do allergy testing and hormone level tests. Keep trying, and you have a right to get answers - if there's a test out there you want, demand it!

zax

CarlaB Enthusiast

Lister, I'm casein intolerant and this little bit of milk here and there would make me very ill. I got really sick from some barbeque flavor Lays Stax before I believed I was senstive to casein (the tests had shown I was, but I was in denial). So, you could try cutting out dairy completely and see if it helps.

Also, definately address the candida overgrowth. I've had it before and it does make you sluggish.

Nancym Enthusiast
1. the fatige, i eat balanced meals and its not helping, i literaly fell asleep while walking today at work and bashed my head onto the freezer

This sounds like that neurological sleep problem, can't think of the name, but basically you fall asleep at abnormal times.

CarlaB Enthusiast

Narcolepsy.

Funny you bring this up, I googled the genes I have for gluten intolerance to learn what I could about them and a bunch of narcolepsy articles came up. I have two copies of the HLA DQ1 genes, which not only means I'm very sensitive to gluten, but it also predisposes me to narcolepsy, which, thankfully, I do not have.

gf4life Enthusiast

Yeah, I would try to eliminate ALL dairy for a while (even the little bits in processed foods), switch vitamins, and check into treating candida if that might be causing problems. I was never tested for it, but I suspected my intestinal bacteria was off balanced. I started using Jarro brand pro-biotics and they helped a lot.

That is interesting to note the genetic link with DQ1 and narcolepsy.

CarlaB, is it every one with DQ1 or just those with 2 copies that makes them have a higher risk? Just curious, since both my husband and younger son have 1 copy each of DQ1. I guess I should just go do my own research, but thought I would pick your brain first. :D

CarlaB Enthusiast
Yeah, I would try to eliminate ALL dairy for a while (even the little bits in processed foods), switch vitamins, and check into treating candida if that might be causing problems. I was never tested for it, but I suspected my intestinal bacteria was off balanced. I started using Jarro brand pro-biotics and they helped a lot.

That is interesting to note the genetic link with DQ1 and narcolepsy.

CarlaB, is it every one with DQ1 or just those with 2 copies that makes them have a higher risk? Just curious, since both my husband and younger son have 1 copy each of DQ1. I guess I should just go do my own research, but thought I would pick your brain first. :D

Sorry, I didn't pay attention to whether it was just with one gene or with two. I had expected lots of stuff on gluten intolerance to come up, and a bunch of stuff on narcolepsy came up instead!

Guhlia Rising Star

Hey, Lister... I just had a thought about your stomach burning... I was thinking about it and realized that I never experienced hunger until I went gluten free. Perhaps this is just what hunger feels like. That's what my hunger pangs feel like. Just a thought... I could be totally off base. I was surprised by those feelings and sounds too though when I first went gluten free.

Lister Rising Star

i used to get "hungy" like i would have a erge to eat food. Now i have no urge but instead its been replaced by those stomic burns then gurgles then burns then gurgles until i eat. i really do think its hunger but at the same time i got weighed today

in the past month and a half i lost another 20 pounds not sure if thats normal or not it could be but since going gluten-free 4 months ago the total weight loss is almost 200 pounds now

Guhlia Rising Star

That sounds like excessive weight loss and i'm surprised your doctor hasn't stepped in.

However, after saying that... I totally agree with you about having had the urge to eat before, but never the hunger pangs like now. I've gotten used to them over the past two years, but I never had them before in my life. I always just had an urge to eat, never physical symptoms that forced me to want to eat.

Lister Rising Star

i feel like i have reached a road block. i am not making any more progress on getting better. i meen yeah im alot better then i was 4 months ago but im still having ongoing problems

stomic noisis/burning

slightly blurred off and on vision/ stoned like state (btw i quit smoking my mj about a week ago to see if this was causing problems) and i still feel stoned all the time and im not smoking so i know something is not quite right.... garh i hate beeing sick all the time :(

i want to find the source of this problem so i can fix whatever it is :(

as for my exesive wait loss, he did step in and was monitering me on a daily basis for my weight for the first 2 months, but after that the calls stoped coming because he said "it sounds like your getting better just keep with the diet and everything will work itself out" so he has no clue i lost another 20 pounds yet

I almost gave myself a panic attack. I was just sitting there, and my legs started to tingle and then move without me wanting them to. i got up moved around and now my stomic feels like poop no matter how much i eat.... ahhhh whats going on

CDFAMILY Rookie

Lister,

Are you taking any mega vitamins? It sounds like you could have some serious deficiencies when you have such drastic weight losses. Vitamin deficiencies can cause leg movements, tingling, buzzing and many other neuropathy type symptoms. I would especially encourage your doctor to test you for Vitamin B12, B6 and vitamin D.

Celiac Mom

Lister Rising Star

wait buzzing? as in noisis o please say thats what you meen.... i was seriusly going to commit myself today to the mental ward(im not joking, my girlfriend even agrees that i should) because last night i had a really bad incadent where i literaly thought i was dying and it happend at a friends house :(

we were all standing outside smoking acig, and i started to have breathing problems, i stepped inside to get a drink of water and everything started to spin, but not like full spin instead my vision was vibrating from left to right, i stepd back outside and a gust of "cold" hit me and i felt like i was freezing all over(but its hot outside) then my ears started to ring, but it was not a normal little ring, it was like a vibrating ring in both my ears, and eventually it got so loud i temparary went def, i ended up on the floor eventuall ybecase i could not support my own weight, then i was walked by some friends to my girlfriends car, and went home and tried to go to bed..... i was seriusly freaking out(i was sober before anyone asks) i was so scared, i woke up today incrediably tired but i dont think that was linked

(on a side note) anyone see clearks 2 if so where u just as shocked by jays tuck as i was, i almost crapped myself when he did that

Lister Rising Star

anyone got a clue as to what caused this reaction. i serisuly thought i was going to die once my sound went and my vision started to get all fd up i was completly sober so it was total shock

Cornhusker Apprentice

Can't really help with the specifics, but please go see a doctor.

Guest nini

oh boy... um, I get those reactions some times and I was told it was anxiety attacks... it ONLY happens when I am accidentally glutened, are you 100% sure that every single thing you come into contact with is gluten free? I know we've been through this before, but ingredients change, companies that used to make a gluten-free product decide to make it "new and improved" by adding guess what, gluten, so something that is on a "safe" list may not in fact be safe. Or it may be a cc issue. You may be one of those people (LIKE ME) who is so hyper sensitive to even the tiniest amt. of gluten that just breathing the air with gluten particles is enough to get ya... (ie: your work) (are you still at BK?)

not every gluten reaction is digestive in nature, some are neurological and affect your senses... It def. freaks me out when my ears go all ringy and then I can't hear for a few minutes... I also get really dizzy and even shakey. Happened to me on Friday and I was a mess for the rest of the day, was even so spaced out I burned my hand on the stove AND I broke my little toe. I'm sure my family that was visiting all thought I was either drunk or on drugs (I don't do either anymore... haven't in years)

anyway, I would go back through everything you are consuming or coming into contact with, with a fine tooth comb and IF that doesn't reveal a hidden source of glutening, it might ease your mind to go see a Dr. You may need to get on some kind of anti anxiety med...

Archived