This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Question About Beds

BRUMI1968

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

Okay, I really want a new bed. We bought a very good bed (steel spring pillow top bla bla bla) from the Bon (Macy's now I guess)...and it cost over 2 grand...so I thought, good bed. Actually, I wanted a Duxiana, which has springs made of soft metal, but hubby kaboshed it due to price. Well, he hates our bed now too.

Anyone out there sleep on these beds:

air bed?

foam bed - nasa stuff

wool/horsehair bed

Duxiana bed

other good bed

I'm desperate. I'm willing to pay the big bucks to get out of my little hard ditch on the my edge of the bed.

Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

We've moved to a foam mattress. I love it, but I know others who don't. Definitely go and try it out - I laid on that thing for 15 minutes in the store. The concerns about it sleeping hot weren't a particular issue for us, but we did find that we had to use a *very* thin mattress pad, and that stretchy sheets (we use modal sheets - it's a type of cotton) are a must to take advantage of the compression factor out of the foam mattress. I definitely consider it an improvement over our previous mattress, which is now our guest mattress, which has gotten a number of compliments.

I should add that I hate pillow-tops. Mattresses should *not* be uber squishy soft fluffy. Well, not for the vast majority of people. It's lovely for the first two minutes, but after a full night, it's not supportive enough.

Guest cassidy

We just bought a bed. We went to mattress firm where they have all the brands. You can try out the sleep number, temperpedic and normal beds. After we did that we decided on a temperpedic and we like it a lot.

kabowman Explorer

I have problems with regular mattresses so I have been on a futon since before my kids were even thoughts - about 20 years. My boys have futons at both homes and my husband has been converted too. BUT, I really like a firm bed.

lindalee Enthusiast

temperpedic adjustable-almost went with the temperpedic pillowtop (that bed is really great but you couldn't get that one adjustable). Just touch the button and you can raise your feet and or head. No one would know it is adjustable-I still have my 4 poster bed and dustruffle. I also bought those risers from Bed Bath and Beyond - I like a high bed. It has a massager on it also. No more aches like on the spring mattress. I also tried the Sleep Comfort (air) but did not feel that one had the support this one does. I bought the thicker mattress. I can check the exact name of that one if you need it. (didn't buy the thinner one). LL

CarlaB Enthusiast

We have a sleep number bed. I don't really like it and sometimes wish we had gotten a Temperpedic. However, I must say that I sleep REALLY well on it. I sleep through the night without waking up at all.

There are some hotels that have Termperpedic beds, I'm sure you could google it and find one near you. Actually, when we stayed at a hotel with one, I ended up liking my bed better than I did before.

We used to have a soft-sided waterbed for years before this bed, and I loved it, so I think that might be part of the reason I think I don't like our bed.

Nancym Enthusiast

I think all beds have their drawbacks! I have used an air type mattress. It had some drawbacks. There is foam around the sides that doesn't really mesh with the rather small internal air mattress and it is uncomfortable if you don't sleep squarely in the center of your mattress. In my Queen bed, I found it annoying.

Water beds tend to be a pain to set up and move. I had one with cylinders once and the cylinders separated over time leaving holes you fall into.

I've heard memory foam beds can be really hot and not a good choice for anyone nearing menopause.

I once slept on a hotel bed that was foam, but not memory foam. I wish I had gotten it's makers name because it was wonderful.

I currently have a Sealy with a memory foam pillow top. Its ok, but you dig a ditch in the memory foam that doesn't really adjust when you do.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived