This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Introduction

carissa

carissa Newbie

Hi there, my name is Carissa. I'm 28 and from Vancouver, BC (Canada).

I am trying to self-test myself for either or both lactose or gluten intolerance. For about 6 months or more now I have been having excessive flatulence, diarrhea, and cramping before and during the above. I mentioned these symptoms to the substitute doctor 3 weeks ago (my regular doctor was on vacation) and a family history (more on that in a minute) and he sent me to the labs to get blood & stool work done.

I already have gone 2 weeks lactose-free. It sort of helped, but I still had a few "incidents" one especially after eating a plate of regular semolina pasta.

Now I'm just starting on testing myself by going on a gluten-free diet for the next two weeks.

The family history mentioned above is one aunt who has been DXd with it through a colonoscopy. Another aunt apparently had it, and according to her, it spontaneously disappeared with some Christian "faith healing." Put as much faith in that account as you would like, I'm just repeating what she said.

I have breakfast, dinners, and snacks worked out mostly. I just am having a hard time figuring out gluten-free-lunches for work. We don't really have leftovers as we only make enough for ourselves (hubby and I that is).

Thanks in advance.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient
Hi there, my name is Carissa. I'm 28 and from Vancouver, BC (Canada).

I am trying to self-test myself for either or both lactose or gluten intolerance. For about 6 months or more now I have been having excessive flatulence, diarrhea, and cramping before and during the above. I mentioned these symptoms to the substitute doctor 3 weeks ago (my regular doctor was on vacation) and a family history (more on that in a minute) and he sent me to the labs to get blood & stool work done.

I already have gone 2 weeks lactose-free. It sort of helped, but I still had a few "incidents" one especially after eating a plate of regular semolina pasta.

Now I'm just starting on testing myself by going on a gluten-free diet for the next two weeks.

The family history mentioned above is one aunt who has been DXd with it through a colonoscopy. Another aunt apparently had it, and according to her, it spontaneously disappeared with some Christian "faith healing." Put as much faith in that account as you would like, I'm just repeating what she said.

I have breakfast, dinners, and snacks worked out mostly. I just am having a hard time figuring out gluten-free-lunches for work. We don't really have leftovers as we only make enough for ourselves (hubby and I that is).

Thanks in advance.

Hi Carissa--welcome to the board :)

A couple of things, unless the doctor ordered the complete Celiac Blood Panel (which consists of 5 tests), the blood and stool testing that they did will tell you nothing about Celiac. You need the specific Celiac Panel.

If your Aunt had Celiac, it would not have been discovered through a colonoscopy. She would have needed an endoscopy--a tube down the throat, through the stomach to the small intestine. Samples are taken from this area for a biopsy. If the biopsy shows damage to the villi, you have a diagnosis of Celiac. Keep in mind that a "negative" biopsy does not always mean you don't have it--a biopsy can rule Celiac in, but can't rule it out.

It comes down to whether or not you feel you need a firm diagnosis. If you do, stay on the gluten and see a gastroenterologist. It is important to remain on gluten for any testing--you will skew the results if you don't. If not, you can go gluten-free yourself. Just make sure that you're 100 percent gluten-free. It won't work if you don't!

Good luck with it, and keep reading here!

carissa Newbie
A couple of things, unless the doctor ordered the complete Celiac Blood Panel (which consists of 5 tests), the blood and stool testing that they did will tell you nothing about Celiac. You need the specific Celiac Panel.

If your Aunt had Celiac, it would not have been discovered through a colonoscopy. She would have needed an endoscopy--a tube down the throat, through the stomach to the small intestine. Samples are taken from this area for a biopsy. If the biopsy shows damage to the villi, you have a diagnosis of Celiac. Keep in mind that a "negative" biopsy does not always mean you don't have it--a biopsy can rule Celiac in, but can't rule it out.

Well I'm not 100% sure what they called the blood panel. I know they took 5 or 6 vials. Felt like they drained my entire system of blood. (They actually completely drained my left arm of blood after the 5th vial. Tried taking the tourniquet off and getting the 6th vial. They had to poke my right arm to get the last vial. Then I nearly fainted on them (blood loss not seeing my own blood) and I got a free apple juice box for that. Then napped at home for a good few hours.)

And you might be right about the endoscopy, my aunt couldn't remember the word for "gastroenterologist" so it's possible she mixed that one up too.

lonewolf Collaborator

Welcome! I think that lunch can be a hard thing to pack, especially if you're new to all of this. I can't do dairy or eggs either, so I'm really limited when in comes to lunch away from home, but here are some things I take.

Lunch meat rolled up in lettuce leaves, secured with a toothpick

Salads

Sandwiches made with Br. Rice tortillas or corn tortillas

Tortilla chips and bean dip

Rice cakes and almond butter

Carrot sticks, other cut up vegies

Fruit

Baked chips or regular chips

Homemade cookies

Other people take things like yogurt, string cheese and hard boiled eggs.

Good luck!

Archived