Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Mcdonald's

8 posts in this topic

A while ago, I checked the McDonald's gluten free menu and they said that both their fries and burgers were Gluten-Free. A few nights ago, I checked again to see if they'd updated since the french fry snafu (evidently they aren't ALL gluten free) and now the burgers no longer seem to be ok. Has anyone else heard anything about this? What's left to eat at McDonalds??

Ads by Google:

the burgers aren't ok anymore?? I've always eaten their fires and burgers and have never gotten sick. But that's weird. We should probably email the company asking them.

Hamburger:

Beef Patty, Regular Bun, Ketchup, Mustard, Pickle Slices, Onions (Dehydrated), Grill Seasoning

that's the ingredient list for MickeyD's hamburgers. Of course we get it without the bun of course. Do they have a separate section for Celiac Disease somewhere?? If so, could you please give me the link?

French Fries:

Potatoes, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, natural flavor (beef, wheat and dairy sources), dextrose, sodium acid pyrophosphate (to preserve natural color). Cooked in partially hydrogenated vegetable oils (may contain partially hydrogenated soybean oil and/or partially hydrogenated corn oil and/or partially hydrogenated canola oil and/or cottonseed oil and/or sunflower oil and/or corn oil). Contains derivatives of wheat and dairy.

I didn't know it said that. I've always eaten them and never gotten sick. Usually if I eat frys that are made in the same fryer I have "D"

Here's the link....

http://www.mcdonalds.com/usa/eat/nutrition.../allergens.html

let me know what you think. A while ago I asked McDonald's to send me their Gluten-Free menu and it said burgers were ok. This seems to say otherwise...which sucks cause it's my usual fast food fix. I get a little gurgly after it, but other than that I am usually ok.

Guess I'll be eating Chic-Fil-A fries from now on :(

Folks, you really have to look further. Here's the ingredients of the beef patty.

Beef Patty:

100% pure USDA inspected beef; no additives, no fillers, no extenders.

If this isn't gluten-free, nothing is. No guarantees about CC though.

richard

McDonald's says their hamburgers have wheat in it, but maybe their just talking about the bun. The seasoning couldn't possibly have gluten in it, could it?? Maybe their just lying to protect themselves in case someone gets sick and trys to sue so they say it contains wheat to put people off of it.

Do not forget they will have crumb on counter, on their gloves, in their microwave, etc... its a game of russian rullete. (no clue on speeling). Eating out is risky, eating out at a fast food joint is amlost sucidal level risky, IMO.

I choose NOT to subject my son to that kind of risk, nor anyone else that ever may be in my care.

And if you are a Canadian, the fries and hashbrowns are safe up here.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Thanks, I'll check that out. I may have to apply for my own Medicare card in order to get any kind of coeliac-testing done beyond the screen (see above post.)  No, nobody has even mentioned it. I'm unsure if my doctor knows that I do not need to use my hands to vomit, or if she knows about the involuntary vomiting.  I have a part time job at McDonald's and make around $150 per week, which is how I afford to smoke. Mostly, I spend my money on (generally gluten-containing) binge food and cigarettes. I did attempt to start saving money, but then my shifts were cut at work - which meant I had more time to study, but no money, which was kind of pointless. It's complicated. Here in Australia, cigarettes are $25 per pack. These aren't fancy cigarettes either, just your run-of-the-mill Marlboro 20s. Thanks for caring. I am trying to stop I've had the vomiting thing all my life, way before I started smoking. And no, I'm not sure. I know he had an endoscopy and the flattened villi, but I'm not sure if he got a blood test - I assume he would have done, don;t know if it was the full panel. Supposedly he has this FODMAP thing, which I'll admit that I know next to nothing about. Interestingly, people who have to follow low-FODMAP or no-FODMAP diets can't eat gluten either, so there's that. 
    • Would a coeliac screen be the same as a test for antibodies, then? I have no idea why it was even included in my list of tests. It could be my brother, or my symptoms, or both - regardless, I can't say I know too much about the testing.  It's possible that my brother has coeliac disease, I really do worry about it sometimes. He was told to follow a strict low-FODMAP diet by his doctor, and eventually my parents stopped caring. Occasionally they will remind him not to eat things like pasta, greasy foods, etc. because of his condition, but by and large they don't care. He basically just eats whatever he wants. I'm not sure if it affects him or not. However, he isn't shorter than other family members - my dad is 183cm, and my brother is 178cm at the age of 14. Our mother is 173cm.  I do think I have bad digestion, yes. I get gassy and very bloated often, as well as constipated phases (and then following that, diarrhea phases.)  I have tried to ask my mum to call the doctor to get the tests done, but I'm hesitant to mention anything to do with gluten as I know they won't believe me, solely because a good friend of mine has celiac disease. I know they'll think I'm doing it for attention, or to be trendy, when in actual fact I'm just tired of being sick and having no explanation for it other than diet. I'm positive it's not dairy, as I was vegan for a couple of months at one stage. When I went back to eating animal products, I had no issues whatsoever. 
    • He had the IgG ELISA done as well as other blood panels, fecal and saliva tests. He is on an elimination diet right now where foods that score above 0.2 are eliminated for 2-6 months depending on the score, then added back slowly after the detox period.  I am aware that there is a lot of controversy over the IgG, and I'm not here to go into that issue, but I can say with certainty that eliminating the additional foods he reacted to has seen a huge reduction in the symptoms that persisted after cutting gluten and dairy. We will be attempting to add rice back in around October, and see how he does but until then I still need a solution for a baking mix.  I tried to wing it a bit with pumpkin bread today and my attempt was okay but not great. The loaf sank a bit and was overly chewy.  So, to my original question....recipes?
    • Ask the doctor's office!  But usually you can eat right after if you feel like it.  But ask them!  Some of them will try to give you crackers, so you may want to bring some gluten-free applesauce or Rice Chex
    • I'm wondering if he doesn't have an oat problem. He was only dx'd several months ago and really shouldn't use oats for a year after dx. Just thinking out loud. I too am wondering how the rice was picked out of all those other flours to be determined to be affecting him.
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Raany