4 replies to this topic

#1 tgcatmr

tgcatmr

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 03:36 PM

I've been gluten-free for six months now, and I have one more question. I understand that lots of celiacs have allegies to other food products besides wheat. Now, I've noticed that I have the same reaction to corn that I have to wheat (cramps and diarhea), but only when I eat alot of corn (even corn chips, popcorn, etc.) at one sitting. I wonder if this is an allergy or a "normal" reaction to too much fiber or something? I hope I don't sound too dumb here, but it took me awhile to figure out that it was corn and not a gluten "accident." I'd rack my brain trying to figure out what I did wrong since I am so careful about the food I buy. Small amounts of corn have no effect, so it took awhile for me to see the pattern. Does anyone have any insight into this? Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 dana_g

dana_g

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 07:20 PM

I just googled "corn allergy" recently because something's been giving me allergy symptoms, and my interpretation is that if you have an allergy, it would generally show up after ingesting a moderate amount of allergen. If you're like me and make a GIANT bowl of popcorn and refuse to share it with anyone, and ignore the fact that your gut is probably more sensitive than the normal person's anyway because of the celiac disease and hog the whole thing then drink a big glass of water...well, I hope you don't do what I do, but if what you do is similar, yup, that would give you tummy trouble. Otherwise, food allergy symptoms come on after eating say, a regular serving or less, and often include a headache, stuffy nose or hives in addition to the gastro stuff. Which is not to say you aren't allergic to corn, because you may just not yet be ultra-sensitive. Isn't this fun? If you can live with eating moderate amounts of popcorn and chips and not get the symptoms, that sounds like a solution. Me, I must be the little piggy. Oink.
Gloriously gluten-free--Dana

#3 LUAP

LUAP

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 04:32 AM

Does anyone have any insight into this?

YES, IT MAY BE ADVISED TO REMEMBER THAT THERE IS SOMETHING BAD THAT COMES ALONG WITH CORN. IT IS CALLED AFLATOXIN. THERE IS A LOT OF INFORMATIONS ON THE WEB CONCERNING THIS. ALSO, I GAVE A LINK FROM UNIVERSITY OF ALBERTA (CANADA) ON THE TOPIC CANDIDA AND RELATED COMPLEX IF YOU WANT TO SEE PICTURES OF IT AND LIVER AFFECTED OF IT.

PAUL
Canada
Where the health cares are free, but where the doctors worry more about their bank account than the health of their patients.
gluten-free since april 2003
On the no grain diet (Mercola) and initial phase diet (kaufmann) since january 2005. healthy since january 2005

#4 crc0622

crc0622

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 05:10 AM

When a person is ill, it is our first instinct and human nature to try to correlate any symptoms with that illness. However, we would all be wise to remember that moderation is the key in all that we do. Anytime we make a pig of ourselves, our body is going to remind us that it was not designed to handle more that it needs to survive. Even the most benign food will make you sick if you eat too much. Yes, we all have a disease that causes yucky symptoms, but every day folks get viruses, eat bad food, or just plain overindulge and suffer the consequences, and that means we will, too. It's not all disease-related.

#5 MollyG.

MollyG.

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 07:03 AM

I have problems when I eat corn tortilla chips (I have really bad gasy and bloating) and maybe when I eat corn tortilla shells (not sure about that one). However, I do not seem to have problems when I eat popcorn in moderation or just plain corn. I wonder if it matters whether you eat white corn as opposed to yellow corn?? Sorry I do not have any answers, I am in the same boat as you and not sure what to do about it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: