15 replies to this topic

#1 BeckyW

BeckyW

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 05:35 PM

Hello, can anyone recommend a protein drink that is gluten-free, dairy free, soy free and nut free? I've heard there are some that help promote weight gain but have not been able to find any. Is there a reliable place to order produts like this one line?
Thanks again,
Becky

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 BRUMI1968

BRUMI1968

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 06:59 PM

I think Rainbow Light has a rice based protein powder. Don't know if it fits all the other requirements, but it may well since I have the same no no's.

I'm adding onto this I wonder if there are protein/weight gain options for folks who don't do the things you said, AND don't do grains.....

#3 Lauren M

Lauren M

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 08:29 PM

Ensure and Boost are gluten-free (except the chocolate malt ones) and come in "Plus" versions that are about 350 cals each. They also come in "high protein" versions.

If you want a protein powder, Genisoy makes choco, vanilla, and strawberry flavors.

- Lauren

#4 BeckyW

BeckyW

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 05:15 AM

Ensure and Boost are gluten-free (except the chocolate malt ones) and come in "Plus" versions that are about 350 cals each. They also come in "high protein" versions.

If you want a protein powder, Genisoy makes choco, vanilla, and strawberry flavors.

- Lauren

Ensure and Boost are good products but Ensure contains milk and Boost contains casein. We tried the Boost and then found out after getting sick that my daughter has sensitivities to those foods. I will check into the Genisoy protein powder. Since it has "soy" in the name I wonder if it contains soy? Thanks!

#5 marciab

marciab

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 08:09 AM

Living Harvest hemp protein and Nutri biotic rice protein. I found both of them at my health food store.
But neither have a lot of calories. THe rice is only 58 calories per tbsp.The hemp is only 65.

I had trouble finding protein powders without soy, etc too. IMO the hemp has a strong flavor, but some like it. The hemp seeds taste a little like cashews.
Jan 1990 - Dx CFS/ME/FM (URI's, Ataxia, myoclonus, orthostatic hypotension, insomnia, brain fog, swollen lymph nodes, sore throat... ) Completely Disabled (housebound and bedridden at times)

2004 - Digestive pain all the time.

May 2004 - Hiatal hernia, erosive gastritis, gastroparesis (endoscopy)
August 2004 - Colon polyps, diverticulitus, internal hemorrhoids (colonoscopy)

No relief from Nexium, Prilosec, Protonix, Zelnorm, Miralax, Imodium, Lomotil ...
July 2005 - GP recommended WFDFSFEFCF + vegan (Also, anything that hurts free)
Immediately stopped needing naps and digestive pain reduced.

Sept 2005 - GFDFCFSFEF + chemical free - Immediately stopped feeling jittery / buzzing and digestive issues were much better.

June 2006 - Dx B12 and iron deficient. Started B12 injections and using cast iron pan.

August 2006 - MYOCLONUS GONE. (off Klonopin)
September 2006 - ATAXIA, INSOMNIA and Feeling like the floor was moving under my feet gone.

June 19, 2007 - Positive DQ2, Dx Celiac

October 2007 - Sleeping like a baby, waking up with energy, but still having fatigue/stamina issues

Nov 2007 - Started Paleo diet for chronic hypoglycemia

April 2008 - GTT normal. I'm no longer hypoglycemic. Started Low oxalate diet for kidney stones.

May 1, 2008 - Began salt loading for OI/NMH - noticed immediately muscle weakness was gone. I was sodium deficient but my labs don't reflect it. Still working on OI and PEM.

#6 Lauren M

Lauren M

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 09:05 AM

Ensure and Boost are good products but Ensure contains milk and Boost contains casein. We tried the Boost and then found out after getting sick that my daughter has sensitivities to those foods. I will check into the Genisoy protein powder. Since it has "soy" in the name I wonder if it contains soy? Thanks!

Yikes, duh, yeah Genisoy powder would contain soy. Sorry, I gave you my response after a loooong night at work and obviously my brain wasn't functioning :blink:

Hmm, I really can't think of any way to get a substantial amount of protein in a beverage without soy, dairy, or casein. Hmm....

Sorry I'm not much help! I knew that Boost and Ensure were "lactose-free" but I didn't know much else. Hopefully some others will come up with good suggestions. Would you consider protein bars, or does it need to be a beverage?

- Lauren

#7 BeckyW

BeckyW

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 09:10 AM

Yikes, duh, yeah Genisoy powder would contain soy. Sorry, I gave you my response after a loooong night at work and obviously my brain wasn't functioning :blink:

Hmm, I really can't think of any way to get a substantial amount of protein in a beverage without soy, dairy, or casein. Hmm....

Sorry I'm not much help! I knew that Boost and Ensure were "lactose-free" but I didn't know much else. Hopefully some others will come up with good suggestions. Would you consider protein bars, or does it need to be a beverage?

- Lauren

Hey Lauren, I appreciate you trying to help us! A protein bar would be fine too. Any type of high protein would be great. After finding out a person is Celiac and losing alot of weight, does the weight ever come back?
Thanks,
Becky

#8 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 11:50 AM

I use rice or hemp seed protein powder in fruit smoothies with coconut milk. You can easily get those things quite packed with calories that way. :-)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#9 mbg98

mbg98

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 01:17 PM

Try designer whey products, I emailed and they told me their products are gluten-free not sure on the other stuff you need but they have a web site to check out.

#10 lorka150

lorka150

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 07:42 PM

hemp (as tarnalberry mentioned), or vega (is what i have).
Gluten-free, Vegan

#11 mle_ii

mle_ii

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 12:27 PM

Rice and Pea protein are the only ones I can think of. Well besides meat products, but I'm sure a steak shake wouldn't work too well. :)

#12 ArtGirl

ArtGirl

Winter Forest - watercolor

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 01:47 PM

Try designer whey products, I emailed and they told me their products are gluten-free not sure on the other stuff you need but they have a web site to check out.

whey is a milk product.

I did a google search for gluten-free protein powder and came up with a rice protein powder by NutriBiotic. Check their website www.nutribiotic.com

I would like to have a protein powder to fall back on for hypoglycemia problems - it keeps well in my purse in a small plastic container and all I have to do is add water and shake (at least, that's the way it worked back when I could use the whey products, which I can't now).
Valda
Enterolab results: ...two genes for gluten intolerance ...casein intolerance
other sensitivities: corn, eggs, soy, potato, tapioca
Hypoglycemic
Sensitivity to high EMFs [electromagnetic frequency] (limits my time in front of the computer)
Living a healthier, happier life.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.Psalm 139: 9,10

#13 BeckyW

BeckyW

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 10:12 AM

Thanks for all your replies! We did buy the Nutribiotics Rice base protein drink and it seems alright. If anyone ever sees a high calorie one please let me know.

#14 Swimmy

Swimmy

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 01:24 PM

- Lauren

What about the Ensure Chocolate Milk Shake flavor? It doesn't say "chocolate malt" anywhere...but when I was looking at them in the store I didn't even see the chocolate malt one, so I wasn't sure if the chocolate milk shake one was malt or not. Thanks!

#15 Cheryl_C

Cheryl_C

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 01:05 PM

Does Boost have one only one chocolate flavour? Or is there chocolate and chocolate malt? I used to drink them all the time because of my busy/weird schedule, and now and then they'd still be a help. The chocolate was the only one I ever liked though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: