This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Protein Drink And Help With Weight Gain

BeckyW

BeckyW Contributor

Hello, can anyone recommend a protein drink that is gluten-free, dairy free, soy free and nut free? I've heard there are some that help promote weight gain but have not been able to find any. Is there a reliable place to order produts like this one line?

Thanks again,

Becky

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

I think Rainbow Light has a rice based protein powder. Don't know if it fits all the other requirements, but it may well since I have the same no no's.

I'm adding onto this I wonder if there are protein/weight gain options for folks who don't do the things you said, AND don't do grains.....

Lauren M Explorer

Ensure and Boost are gluten-free (except the chocolate malt ones) and come in "Plus" versions that are about 350 cals each. They also come in "high protein" versions.

If you want a protein powder, Genisoy makes choco, vanilla, and strawberry flavors.

- Lauren

BeckyW Contributor
Ensure and Boost are gluten-free (except the chocolate malt ones) and come in "Plus" versions that are about 350 cals each. They also come in "high protein" versions.

If you want a protein powder, Genisoy makes choco, vanilla, and strawberry flavors.

- Lauren

Ensure and Boost are good products but Ensure contains milk and Boost contains casein. We tried the Boost and then found out after getting sick that my daughter has sensitivities to those foods. I will check into the Genisoy protein powder. Since it has "soy" in the name I wonder if it contains soy? Thanks!

marciab Enthusiast

Living Harvest hemp protein and Nutri biotic rice protein. I found both of them at my health food store.

But neither have a lot of calories. THe rice is only 58 calories per tbsp.The hemp is only 65.

I had trouble finding protein powders without soy, etc too. IMO the hemp has a strong flavor, but some like it. The hemp seeds taste a little like cashews.

Lauren M Explorer
Ensure and Boost are good products but Ensure contains milk and Boost contains casein. We tried the Boost and then found out after getting sick that my daughter has sensitivities to those foods. I will check into the Genisoy protein powder. Since it has "soy" in the name I wonder if it contains soy? Thanks!

Yikes, duh, yeah Genisoy powder would contain soy. Sorry, I gave you my response after a loooong night at work and obviously my brain wasn't functioning :blink:

Hmm, I really can't think of any way to get a substantial amount of protein in a beverage without soy, dairy, or casein. Hmm....

Sorry I'm not much help! I knew that Boost and Ensure were "lactose-free" but I didn't know much else. Hopefully some others will come up with good suggestions. Would you consider protein bars, or does it need to be a beverage?

- Lauren

BeckyW Contributor
Yikes, duh, yeah Genisoy powder would contain soy. Sorry, I gave you my response after a loooong night at work and obviously my brain wasn't functioning :blink:

Hmm, I really can't think of any way to get a substantial amount of protein in a beverage without soy, dairy, or casein. Hmm....

Sorry I'm not much help! I knew that Boost and Ensure were "lactose-free" but I didn't know much else. Hopefully some others will come up with good suggestions. Would you consider protein bars, or does it need to be a beverage?

- Lauren

Hey Lauren, I appreciate you trying to help us! A protein bar would be fine too. Any type of high protein would be great. After finding out a person is Celiac and losing alot of weight, does the weight ever come back?

Thanks,

Becky

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

I use rice or hemp seed protein powder in fruit smoothies with coconut milk. You can easily get those things quite packed with calories that way. :-)

mbg98 Contributor

Try designer whey products, I emailed and they told me their products are gluten-free not sure on the other stuff you need but they have a web site to check out.

lorka150 Collaborator

hemp (as tarnalberry mentioned), or vega (is what i have).

mle-ii Explorer

Rice and Pea protein are the only ones I can think of. Well besides meat products, but I'm sure a steak shake wouldn't work too well. :)

ArtGirl Enthusiast
Try designer whey products, I emailed and they told me their products are gluten-free not sure on the other stuff you need but they have a web site to check out.

whey is a milk product.

I did a google search for gluten-free protein powder and came up with a rice protein powder by NutriBiotic. Check their website Open Original Shared Link

I would like to have a protein powder to fall back on for hypoglycemia problems - it keeps well in my purse in a small plastic container and all I have to do is add water and shake (at least, that's the way it worked back when I could use the whey products, which I can't now).

BeckyW Contributor

Thanks for all your replies! We did buy the Nutribiotics Rice base protein drink and it seems alright. If anyone ever sees a high calorie one please let me know.

• 1 year later...
Swimmy Rookie

- Lauren

What about the Ensure Chocolate Milk Shake flavor? It doesn't say "chocolate malt" anywhere...but when I was looking at them in the store I didn't even see the chocolate malt one, so I wasn't sure if the chocolate milk shake one was malt or not. Thanks!

• 2 years later...
Cheryl-C Enthusiast

Does Boost have one only one chocolate flavour? Or is there chocolate and chocolate malt? I used to drink them all the time because of my busy/weird schedule, and now and then they'd still be a help. The chocolate was the only one I ever liked though.

UpbeatPete Explorer

Sorry, I'm not sure. Does anyone drink the Ensure Muscle Health Revigor?

Archived