This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Shocking Story

Gcbec

2kids4me Contributor

I got a PM from Cindy- apparently genetic tests have been ordered and done since this all happened and she does have doctors that are looking at the file. She has to wait til it is presented in court.

This contradicts what was posted earlier today (No doctor will look at the file)... but it must be a topsy turvey world so will just assume she means the doctors who will diagnose the child ("??) ,... again, get confused by all this

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest nini

Ok I've spoken with Cindy and she say's " NO genetic test were done for celiac they tested him for FMF in May and it was inconclusive ... " they didn't test specifically for Celiac EVER. If you read some of her earlier posts, ONE of the tests showed elevated markers for Celiac (although they weren't looking for it) so it was ignored.

2kids4me Contributor

I misunderstood her then and I have told her so in a PM, I based my response on her statement:

well the peditrician had it done it came back negative for the 2 most likely genes but claims it is not a accurate result becasue there are 121 other genes it could be linked to it just was not linked to the 2 most common.

I told her that - it can be easy to misunderstand when a test was done if it is not made clear - I apologized and am publicly posting that I misunderstood the above comment as having happened recently. I am also to understand that this test was for FMF and not celiac ?? I assumed she was talking celiac genes cause that is what the thread is about.

It is important to note how easily misunderstood some of the posts are.... and how that may be happening with others...

I hope that Cindy prevails in court and splashes this case all over the news, and that some of the doctors will answer to their errors

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular
how many of us are literary geniuses on this board? it's a MESSAGE BOARD for cryin out loud! Most of us write "stream of conciousness" and don't pay attention to grammar and spelling, Especially not when we are stressed out and upset.

My bad for not explaining my point well, Nini!

What I was trying to do was to explain why I thought people here were jumping on Cindy and saying that she must have left out something, and that she wasn't doing everything possible, and even questioning her honesty, etc. I had a very strong feeling (possibly wrong, of course) that people on this board were not giving her a fair shake because they were judging her by her writing style.

I am NOT trying to bash her writing. I am trying to point out that people may be misjudging her situation because for whatever reason she is not expressing herself clearly. If I were in her situation, I might not be able to do any better, or even as well. I think it is very important that she is able to express herself clearly. Her children's future and health depend first on just that. Her ability to present her case is at least as important as her lawyer's; if she is unable to present her case well, her lawyer might not be convinced, and will not do as good a job for her (not to mention the judge). ) That might be a moot point anyway, as I think most of us are suspecting that her lawyer is less than competent here.

I am also worried, for her sake, that the idiots who decided to take her children may be treating her far differently than they would treat someone who is a literary genius (to quote Nini) (and for all we know, Cindy just might be a literary genius). Prejudice still exists in this country, and sometimes it's not about ethnic background or religion, but about perceived class differences, not that class should even exist in this country, but many people (usually those in power) still treat others as though it does.

I apologize for coming off as critical. I am trying to be helpful. If I'm failing, then, again, I apologize.

Guest nini

lets just leave it that the written word can easily be mis interpreted and move on from there. Cindy needs our emotional support right now as she's going through a nightmare that most of us cannot even imagine. Apparently she is not alone in this. I think this is an opportunity to get the message out to the rest of the world, just how misdiagnosed Celiac is, and just how much ignorance there still is among the medical community about it. I see a mom that was definitively diagnosed with Celiac (just like me) and has a child with symptoms that have added up to this, but because she has spent years trying to find out why her child is sick, and following Dr.s advice to undergo certain tests and procedures, ONE Dr. has decided that she has a rare psychological disorder??? This ONE Dr. is so ignorant of Celiac that she has lobbied succesfully to have the kids removed from loving parents that were only trying to follow the system and do what they were told??? This is just so wrong on so many levels. I sympathise with Cindy because when I was trying to find out why my daughter was so sick before I was dx'ed with Celiac, MSBP was thrown at me as a threat by one Dr. that thought I was crazy and that there was nothing wrong with my child. He obviously was not observing the same child that I did, or that her pediatrician did.

Rikki Tikki Explorer
OK well she has already done this. SHe called my daughters orthopedic, told him she is expert in munchausen syndrome and that my children were in protective custody then she discussed my daughters medical with him. He told her everything about her medical and even listened to her when she told him to take her right afo brace off her leg.... she has had 2 braces on her since she was 12 mos old he just prescribed her 2 braces in April when he saw her, now my daughter is falling crying and uncomfortable. So I suppose I just gave us another lawsuit to collect on huh.. No actually we already new this one. And by the way there was no signed release, and I didnt even sign a realease for acusing dr ever.

Whatever is going on, I have stated I pray for the best in the interest of the children. The above is when I started getting a feeling in the pit of my stomach. Now it is her daughter that is having medical procedures or not having them because the Dr. that removed them believes the mother has msbp? Have many of us been told that we are stressed, depressed, etc? You bet that's right, maybe I was wrong to question so much, no visitation for at the time 52 days? It doesn't happen unless there is such a threat to the children that even with a social worker in the room the child would be in danger. She's got letters from neighbors, teachers, doctors, and many more, these would be enough to give the Court pause.

It really had nothing to do with how well she wrote or how she didn't, it was simply that things were not adding up. I simply questioned what I was hearing. Guess if I wasn't the questioning sort I might actually believe the celiac symptoms really were caused by stress or depression.

I have not asked any of you to not believe what she writes as I stated many times, I have just questioned what didn't make sense.

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

Here in Pennsylvania a couple of years ago, a single African-American mom had her son taken away by Children's Services. I can't remember the reason, but it was in the newspapers, and some lawyer volunteered to help her fight because apparently Children's Services was totally in the wrong. I vaguely remember something about their holdinga termination of parental rights hearing--and not properly notifying her, and then not letting her in the courtroom. I'm not sure, though--I might have mixed it up with another high-profile case here.

At any rate, she fought this , and eventually won, but in the interim, Children's Services had taken her next child away immediately after birth! She had to fight that one, too. I think what turned things around was that it appeared in the newspaper.

Take it to the media. The reporter who covered the above incident was Barbar White Stack of either the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette or the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. She did a great job, and I think she made a huge difference in how it all played out.

Good luck, Cindy, and please keep us posted.

Whoever you talk to, you should probably point them to this board so that they can see all the people who have celiac who were misdiagnosed, told it was all in their heads, etc.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest nini

I agree it should be taken to the media...

mommida Enthusiast

There is a statistic, on average it can take 11 years for a diagnoses of Celiac Disease in the US. That may be very helpful in determining how this situation has gotten so out of control. There was also a post (by celiac3270 I think) of a poll of doctors about Celiac disease that showed doctors are ignorant of symptoms and generally misinformed.

L.

Oh by the way,

I was diagnosed with IBS, accused of being anorexic, written diagnoses of post partum depression, anemic, Hashimoto's thyroiditis, migraines, low blood pressure (sometimes they could never even get a blood pressure), and other things but never officially diagnosed with Celiac Disease.

plantime Contributor

Cindy keeps saying she wants her child to be tested, that is why I agreed with having her lawyer get with her children's lawyers and ordering the gene test. Why isn't her lawyer already doing this? Why isn't this in the public eye now?

joel Newbie

I SPOKE TO CINDY A LITTLE WHILE AGO.

HER FAMILY NEEDS OUR HELP.

IF YOU KNOW A MD WHO WILL TESTIFY IT WOULD BE GREAT WHO IS EXPERIENCED WITH CELIAC.

I PM SHE ANSWERED A LOT OF MY QUESTIONS.

I USSUALLY GO TO THE SUFFOLKK CELIAC GROUP BUT MISSED THE AUGUST MEETING.

MY FRIEND WHO HAD A CASE BEFORE THE SAME JUDGE. MY FRIEND DID NOT DESERVE THE WAY THEY

WERE TREATED BY THE PARTIES INVOLVVED. THE LAW GUARDIAN IS SUPPOSE TO HELP THE CHILD NOT

IN MY FRIENNDS CASE. THE LAW GUARDIAN AND THE COURT SYSTEM SHOULD BE CHARGED WITH

CHILD NEGLECT. THE CPS WORKER BLAMES THE JUDGE. THE CPS LAWYER BLAMES HIS SUPERVISOR.

THE COURT BLAMES CPS. WHAT A CRAPPY SITUATION . NO ONE WANTS TO TAKE THE BLAME.

I THINK MY FRIEND GOT RAILROAD INTO TAKING A PLEA.

IF ROCK COULD HELP OR SOME OTHER GROUP.

TODAY IT WAS CINDY YESTERDAY IT WAS MY FRIEND.

A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO THIS SAME JUDGE MADE 20 20 .

WILL IT BE YOUR FAMILY TOMMORROW.

CINDY I FEEL IS GETTING IN JUSTICE.

CINDY HAS NOT SEEN HER CHILDREN IN MONTHS .

THE COURTS ARE OVER BURDEN. I SPOKE TO MY ABOUT 20 LAWYERS ABOUT MY FRIEND GOING TO

TRIAL IN FAMILY COURT .

THESE ATTORNEYS TOLD ME THEY AT MOST WON ONE CASE.

THERE WAS TWO JUDGES I KNEW IN CINDY STATE WHO WOULD GIVE A FAIR SHAKE TO PARENTS.

BOTH WERE NOT RENEWED FOR JUDGESHIPS.

EITHER FIND FOR CPS OR THE HIGHWAY. o R THE COURTS RAILROAD YOU TO PLEAD GUILTY.

CINDY NEEDS OUR HELP. DO NOT CRITCISE HER BUT FIGURE OUT HOW WE CAN HELP.

DO YOU KNOW SOME ONE WHO CAN HELP.

A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO IT WAS THE WOMAN ON 20 20 A FEW MONTHS AGO IT WAS MY FRIEND NOW

CINDY.

WHO IS THE NEXT VICTIM OF THE JUSICE SYSTEM.

I HOPE TO HEAR GOOD NEWS. BUT JUSTICE WORKS VERY SLOWLY. IT MAY TAKE HER YEARS TO GET

BACK TO NORMAL.

JDRF IS VERY STRONG IN FIGHTING FOR DIABETICS. BUT WHER ARE US CELKIACS. WE NEED TO GO TO

MEETINGS AND CONFRENCES AND SUPPORT OUR FRIENDS WHEN WRONGLY ACCUSED. THIS IS AMERICA

CINDY IS INOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY. THE STANDARD IS LESS THAN A CRIMINAL CASE AND NO

JURIES. SHE IS GETTING IN JUSTICE.

PS THINK HOW CAN WE HELP HER NOT CRITIZE HER.

2kids4me Contributor

I dont know what anyone else can do to help. She has stated that she has two top forensic psycologists working on the case. She has friends that have appeared on Montel - maybe they would be of more help to her in terms of contacting the right people.

It has been suggested that Cindy contact the National Celiac Association - maybe she can tell us how that went.

How else can we help over the internet? ... one of Cindy's earlier posts stated that her lawyer had experience in similar cases

My attorney is very good, he is also helping another mother accused of the same thing from the same dr.

There have been apologies from those (including me) who have said - it is difficult to get clear info from internet posts and that we have Cindy in our prayers. and continue to do so.

There have been helpful suggestions and support from the majority of posts.

Cindy said she attended a local support group and bring info to a meeting...those people would be far more helpful than we could - I am in Canada so am even less helpful.

Numerous helpful suggestions have been made - unfortunately we havent found the right course of action or the right contact for her.

I would have thought the National Celiac foundation may have had resources that would prove helpful (?)

Sorry, I am at a loss for suggestions.

Guest nini

I've spoken with Cindy too, and whether or not you want to believe her, action IS being taken based upon suggestions made by some of the wonderful people on here. She is following the advice of her attorneys as far as releasing info to the media is concerned. She DID go to the support group meeting, and she has contacted everyone that she can get ahold of. MOST do not want to get involved. How sad is this?

What she has asked for here is prayers and emotional support, and advice. That is all. Don't read anything into it that's not there.

The point is, this could happen to any one of us. Do not judge Cindy for what she has written or said or hasn't said or done or hadn't done. Just continue to keep her family in your prayers and offer her emotional support and IF you know someone who can help her, let her know.

Canadian Karen Community Regular

Didn't someone post awhile ago that the head of Comcast was diagnosed with celiac? Isn't that a major cable company down in the States? I bet he would have pull if anyone could actually get in touch with him!

Karen

2kids4me Contributor

Perhaps this will help - its site about fighting CPS, many links from there

Open Original Shared Link

I Need Help Fighting CPS Now - good advice at the site of the American Family Rights Association.

Taking Over Your Case - defending yourself Sui Juris in juvenile court... great article with practical advice.

The Social Worker at Your Door: 10 Helpful Hints - good advice from the attorneys at HSLDA.

Your Constitutional Rights: Use Them Or Lose Them - learn more about your Constitutional Rights before its too late!

Answering the CPS (Child Protective Services) Questions - a Virginia homeschool site posted this interview with a systemite.

Immediate Hearing Rights - written for NY but valid in every state.

Facing off with Children’s Protective Services! - this page is on a website about Rett Syndome, but has a lot of good suggestions for any parent, not just those with handicapped children.

If You're the Subject of a DCYF Investigation - attorney Paula Werme's advice on what to do when a child welfare investigation begins.

Parents victimized by children's protective services - good notes on cases built on unconstitutional religious prejudices.

What To Do If DSS Comes to Your Door - suggestions from a Massachusetts attorney, Gregory A. Hession.

Dont's and Do's When Falsely Accused - this was written by a friend of mine back in 1995.

Legal Survival - very awesome UK site with information on social services, courts, imprisonment, and just about any aspect of this nightmare you can think of. Lots of good information!

Save Your Children - click on "When they knock" for some good information.

Allegations of Maltreatment - This site was created for foster parents enduring false allegations. It has some good information on handling interviews and Minnesota child welfare laws. I suggest a careful reading of it whether you are a natural parent or fosterer in trouble.

The above is an example of the links from the site - its on the bottom of the page, and you can click on the heading to go to that page

Guest nini

that looks helpful :)

Gcbec Newbie

Thankyou so Muchh for this valuable information, I have been on different places to get information, this one is very helpful.

I want to thank you and everyone for all the hard work and prayers, we beleive in our innocence and know that our time will come. Unfortunatly, every minute from our children is hard, and every day is a strugle, but we get through. I beleive God knows the truth and everyone prayers have empowered me to beleive in myself. I wish I could wave a magic wand and say, ok my son has celiac, and ok they can come home now, but I need to face reality. I would garuntee he has celiac, but, that wont bring them home any quicker. I wish I could find a dr to stand up and say this is celiac, but that wont bring them home any quicker. I know and beleive in my heart my kids will come home. It is a vision I will keep everyday until they come home.

We are working very hard with our attorneys, and despite my son not having a "diagnosis" does not make me guilty. As my peditrician told me, do not fear, do not be defensive your records speak the truth. I want to again thank everyone even those that questioned because it is everyone that gave me the strenght I needed. Every word on here I read, and every word meant something to me, whether I responded or not. As all of you have shared in my sadness I will hope and pray you will all be there when we rejoice and our family is back together.

For now I am going to end my participation in this thread, but I want everyone to know how much you all mean to me please PM me anytime. I have not stopped fighting I have decided my energy would be better channeled at the issue at hand, and that is preparing for trial. You will all be in our thoughts, and please keep us in yours. Love Peace and Happiness,

Cindy

Archived