This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Candida Overgrowth And Celiac Connection

esthesio-vivi

esthesio-vivi Rookie
I have discovered that I must have two other things under control in addition to a sugar and gluten free diet to keep me in good health. The first thing is that my estrogen can not be high in proportion to my progesterone. I had read somewhere that the yeast feed off excess estrogen like they do candy. I had a saliva test done (blood tests are not accurate) and it showed I was estrogen dominant. So I now use progesterone cream even though I am not at all near menopause. I also have to watch eating things with a lot of soy because that raises estrogen. The second thing is that sugar can also be released into the blood stream when a person is under stress and the yeast can feed off that sugar. So you must keep your stress to nil, which I have only been able to do by going into the Bible and reading it to change my perspective, transform my mind, and remove my fears. I would also look into whether you might not be diabetic. Diabetics have a high blood sugar content and often suffer from yeast problems. I imagine that even with hypoglycemia there is a sugar high before there is a sugar low. So when you eat always include some form of protein to keep blood sugar down. As for the type of carbs to eat, I find that the best carbs for me are whole grains, especially amaranth, quinoa, and millet, and of course any variety of rice (but I would avoid processed white rice)..... I cured myself once before on another regiment and the yeast came back stronger than ever because as soon as I was better I began eating sugar. You can't do this. You must stay on your diet several years after you think you are better to allow the good bacteria to really outgrow the yeast. Hope this helps!

chericovenant!

Great advice... I feel like I've been so thorough, but I'm learning more and just starting to realize how important all of these elements are. I can't believe how much knowledge it takes to keep systemic Candida under control! I just got my blood taken yesterday to test for Diabetes, among other auto-immune deficiencies, so I suppose I'll find out about that soon.

My new concern is the hormone thing. I know birth control pills can be a problem, I've been on them for about 7 months now, before that my period was absent for about 7 months! I'm wondering if there is another type of birth control that would encourage the yeast less. My doctor mentioned something about progesterone withdrawal every three months... I can't find any info on it though.

Also, I experienced something similar to you. I recovered from Candida once and foolishly started eating sugar again. The second time around has definately been more difficult to shake. I learned the hard way to stick with it... I believe alot of long-term candida problems could be avoided with this knowledge.

I've come a long ways, now I'm determined to be free of it for good. Thank you so much to everyone for the advice and wealth of knowledge. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
lindalee Enthusiast
chericovenant!

Great advice... I feel like I've been so thorough, but I'm learning more and just starting to realize how important all of these elements are. I can't believe how much knowledge it takes to keep systemic Candida under control! I just got my blood taken yesterday to test for Diabetes, among other auto-immune deficiencies, so I suppose I'll find out about that soon.

My new concern is the hormone thing. I know birth control pills can be a problem, I've been on them for about 7 months now, before that my period was absent for about 7 months! I'm wondering if there is another type of birth control that would encourage the yeast less. My doctor mentioned something about progesterone withdrawal every three months... I can't find any info on it though.

Also, I experienced something similar to you. I recovered from Candida once and foolishly started eating sugar again. The second time around has definately been more difficult to shake. I learned the hard way to stick with it... I believe alot of long-term candida problems could be avoided with this knowledge.

I've come a long ways, now I'm determined to be free of it for good. Thank you so much to everyone for the advice and wealth of knowledge. :)

Does any one else have itching ears? LL

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

I am constantly at bedtime wanting to stick my fingers in my ears and wiggle them around. Sometimes my inside ear can get no relief. Arg. But my outside ears don't' itch. Right now my head itches and I think it must be some product I'm using that has gluten or something. It's nuts.

lindalee Enthusiast
I am constantly at bedtime wanting to stick my fingers in my ears and wiggle them around. Sometimes my inside ear can get no relief. Arg. But my outside ears don't' itch. Right now my head itches and I think it must be some product I'm using that has gluten or something. It's nuts.

Bully, my ears itch on the inside also. I believe mine came from when I was washing my ears out with my old shampoo that had sodium laurel sulfate in it. I have been searching for info. and this is what I did--put a tiny drop of alcohol in each ear (did that this morning and it has gone away). I went to Weston A. Price Foundation web site( I have been using this alot and like it) and typed in itchy ears and then after reading about the salmon clicked on the bottom for Linda's site (the author of that article) and googles itchy ears and came up with this. Let me know if you try it and it works for you.

The itchy head? I haven't figured this out yet. I have it also and I have bumps along my hairline in the back of my head.....they itch also. LL

esthesio-vivi Rookie

This is what the Eye and Ear foundation would say about it:

Open Original Shared Link

But maybe some ear candling would do you good

here's a little info just in case:

It is a simple, natural ear-cleaning technique using a hollow cone, which has one end burning, and the other end set at the opening of the ear canal. Smoke travels into the ear and loosens the ear wax, ear mites and the build up of yeast making the rounds inside the complexities of the inner ear, it comes back up the cone bringing with it wax and debris.

Benefits of Ear Candling

1. Removal of excess ear wax

2. Soothing and beneficial with ear infections

3. Release of head congestion due to sinusitis, allergies, colds and flu

4. Removal of Candida (yeast) and relieving itchy ear

5. Helpful with some hearing loss and tinitus-ringing in the ears

6. Beneficial for persistent chronic ear infections

7. Improves balance and equilibrium

8. Detoxification of sinus and lymph system

lindalee Enthusiast

Thanks for the info. Mine seems ok since the alcohol treatment. So far -so good. LL

Rice Cakes Newbie
I think I read somewhere that the yeast has an amino structure similar to wheat so that your body may be using up all its resource that are needed to digest wheat when you are fighting yeast problems.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lymetoo Contributor

I have found that itching ears and scalp are related to sugar consumption [yeast]...or any other offending foods that create yeast.

I've also found that consuming coconut oil gets rid of my itchy, flaky scalp!!

lindalee Enthusiast
I have found that itching ears and scalp are related to sugar consumption [yeast]...or any other offending foods that create yeast.

I've also found that consuming coconut oil gets rid of my itchy, flaky scalp!!

I have that on my list. What kind of coconut oil do you get? I do plan to get some. Thanks, LL

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

Yeah - I'm going back on body ecology here next week, though I don't see what I could be eating that is yeasting me out. I'm bloated, too, though, so it could be the little buggers. Body Ecology, here I come. Darn!

Lymetoo Contributor
I have that on my list. What kind of coconut oil do you get? I do plan to get some. Thanks, LL

I buy Spectrum brand from our health food store.

Yeast-free diet includes no potatoes, white rice, bread, etc....so check your diet!

lindalee Enthusiast
I buy Spectrum brand from our health food store.

Yeast-free diet includes no potatoes, white rice, bread, etc....so check your diet!

I haven't had those except Lay's Original Potato Chips ( guess I better not do those). Thanks, LL

esthesio-vivi Rookie

Just so y'all know, I got my blood tests back.

Negative for Diabetes, metabolism/thyroid and other auto-immune deficiencies!

The Celiac panel showed a 61 in the IgG, but nothing else.

So now I'm a assuming I'm Celiac even though I know the blood test is not conclusive.

I've stopped eating all gluten and it seems things are easier to balance. hallelujah!

No infections, no brain fog, better energy thus far... now I just need to heal so that I can eat more normally without fear.

I want to encourage other chronic Candida sufferers to investigate Celiac disease! Previously I thought Candida was my primary issue, but in my case gluten was definately aggrivating it.

I'm mystified as to which symptoms were from candida or gluten-eating though, it's very difficult to differentiate some of them. Guess it doesn't matter as long as I'm doing betterl.

Lymetoo Contributor

I think there's a connection. I hope in a few months that I can beat the yeast! I think it's already better!

Helena Contributor

I didn't read this entire thread so i don't know if i'm repeating what was already said, but there was an interesting article in the _Lancet_ on this topic:

http://eutils.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer...t_uids=12826451

I read the article . . . the idea is that in people genetically predisposed to get celiac candida might trigger it. . . also that perhaps in people sensitive to gluten that the immune system might react to yeast in the same way as to gluten. this might explain why some people don't improve that much on the gluten-free diet but have celiac . .

this sounds very hypothetical at this point . . . but it seems to match up with what peoples' experience here has been.

esthesio-vivi Rookie
I didn't read this entire thread so i don't know if i'm repeating what was already said, but there was an interesting article in the _Lancet_ on this topic:

http://eutils.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer...t_uids=12826451

I read the article . . . the idea is that in people genetically predisposed to get celiac candida might trigger it. . . also that perhaps in people sensitive to gluten that the immune system might react to yeast in the same way as to gluten. this might explain why some people don't improve that much on the gluten-free diet but have celiac . .

this sounds very hypothetical at this point . . . but it seems to match up with what peoples' experience here has been.

Helena, The link you posted is dead, did you miss some characters from it?

Also, I read something in the Yeast Connection today, a quote by Dr. Lloyd Rosenvold (sure the book's a little dated, but still has some great information)

"I believe in some cases (maybe even most cases) the presence of celiac sprue, which is secondary to gluten intolerace offers a fertile....culture medium for the propagation of yeast organisms. In any case of intestinal yeast infection the possibility of conocmitant CS should be considered until it can be confidently ruled out...

How are CS and yeast infections connected, if they are? I'll breifly state my simple concept. The petrefactive processes in the bowel, incidental to the maldigestion and malabsorption present as a result of the CS, furnishes... an ideal culture medium for the propagation of Candida albicans..."

Makes sense to me.

esthesio-vivi Rookie
I'm an otherwise healthy 24 year old, and I've been suffering with a chronic Candida overgrowth for over a year and a half. At the time of my self-diagnosis I decided I was also allergic to wheat. My health has been in shambles this entire time, but about three weeks ago I decided that I am GLUTEN intolerant/maybe Celiac. Since then have stopped eating gluten all together, and this has definately helped me feel better.

I have been on a regimen of Diflucan for about four months, and I have been on a strict yeast-free/sugar-free diet. The issue is, I am still suffering from horrible yeast infections constantly. From everything I've read I should at least be able to manage it this way so it doesn't get out of control, but I don't believe it's working.

LATEST UPDATE: sooo.... I went to the Gyno, got a culture and pap done... swore up and down that I had a yeast infection. On Tuesday they called with the results that everything was NORMAL. This is the second time that I have had a culture come back normal. I guess this means that I am not suffering from Candida... what could it be then????

ALLERGIES?!

"Allergic reactions of the vaginal or vulvar epithelium are often confused with yeast infections because they cause a histamine release in the skin of the vulva with subsequent itching or burning. That is one reason why culture for yeast is so important because you may assume it's a yeast infection when in fact it is an allergic reaction. "

I talked this over with my Mom and sister, apparently my sister had the same problem. They tested her over and over again for yeast, and the gyno told her she thought it was allergies. The moment she started taking Peptide shots for food allergies the symptoms dissapeared.

My theory is that when I was on the Anti-candida diet I was gutting out all gluten, and allergens. The moment I relaxed a little I would end up getting glutened and crash, the yeast infection-like symptoms would also flare up. I would immediately think it was the yeast getting out of hand and not the gluten. Talk about confusing symptoms! I have taken myself off Diflucan and have started going off the anti-candida diet. I have been off Gluten for about six weeks now, and I've been feeling great, better than ever! Celiac was the key to my mystery, thank God! Going without Gluten is nothing in comparison to treating yourself for Candidiasis, and the anti-candida diet.

This just proves the importance of having cultures done. Those suffering from Candidiasis for years and years need to seriously consider the possibility of chronic food allergies and Celiac disease.

Michi8 Contributor
This is what the Eye and Ear foundation would say about it:

But maybe some ear candling would do you good

here's a little info just in case:

It is a simple, natural ear-cleaning technique using a hollow cone, which has one end burning, and the other end set at the opening of the ear canal. Smoke travels into the ear and loosens the ear wax, ear mites and the build up of yeast making the rounds inside the complexities of the inner ear, it comes back up the cone bringing with it wax and debris.

Benefits of Ear Candling

1. Removal of excess ear wax

2. Soothing and beneficial with ear infections

3. Release of head congestion due to sinusitis, allergies, colds and flu

4. Removal of Candida (yeast) and relieving itchy ear

5. Helpful with some hearing loss and tinitus-ringing in the ears

6. Beneficial for persistent chronic ear infections

7. Improves balance and equilibrium

8. Detoxification of sinus and lymph system

Sorry for the late reply to this post...I just found this thread.

Ear Candling has been proven to be a quack practice, and can actually be dangerous. There is a high risk of burns from the wax, and potential damage to the eardrum itself. Open Original Shared Link

In terms of itchy ears, it can be a sign of allergies and food intolerances. I have problems with my ears when I eat foods I'm allergic to....the itch can be so intense inside my ears. I also have problems with pain in my ears with wind, and changes in temperature (going indoors after being outside on a cold day.)

Michelle

TCA Contributor
LATEST UPDATE: sooo.... I went to the Gyno, got a culture and pap done... swore up and down that I had a yeast infection. On Tuesday they called with the results that everything was NORMAL. This is the second time that I have had a culture come back normal. I guess this means that I am not suffering from Candida... what could it be then????

ALLERGIES?!

"Allergic reactions of the vaginal or vulvar epithelium are often confused with yeast infections because they cause a histamine release in the skin of the vulva with subsequent itching or burning. That is one reason why culture for yeast is so important because you may assume it's a yeast infection when in fact it is an allergic reaction. "

I talked this over with my Mom and sister, apparently my sister had the same problem. They tested her over and over again for yeast, and the gyno told her she thought it was allergies. The moment she started taking Peptide shots for food allergies the symptoms dissapeared.

My theory is that when I was on the Anti-candida diet I was gutting out all gluten, and allergens. The moment I relaxed a little I would end up getting glutened and crash, the yeast infection-like symptoms would also flare up. I would immediately think it was the yeast getting out of hand and not the gluten. Talk about confusing symptoms! I have taken myself off Diflucan and have started going off the anti-candida diet. I have been off Gluten for about six weeks now, and I've been feeling great, better than ever! Celiac was the key to my mystery, thank God! Going without Gluten is nothing in comparison to treating yourself for Candidiasis, and the anti-candida diet.

This just proves the importance of having cultures done. Those suffering from Candidiasis for years and years need to seriously consider the possibility of chronic food allergies and Celiac disease.

Not trying to pry here, but I have a lot of issues like this too. After being married for few years I discovered I was allergic to latex, causing yeast infection type symptoms when certain birth control methods were used. Don't know if this could be an issue for you, just thought it was worth mentioning.

Also, here's a web site that compares celiac and candida. Open Original Shared Link

loraleena Contributor

ALLERGIES?!

There are yeast infections that do not show up on their tests!!

TCA Contributor

just ran across this at Open Original Shared Link and thought it was interesting:

Why is Gluten Excluded in Candida Diets?

Many of the Candida diets also suggest excluding gluten from the diet. What

isn't explained is why this particular protein is excluded and other

proteins are not. Usually sugars are the main foodstuffs to exclude. In this

article Ron Hoggan explains his theory of why gluten is a problem for people

suffering from yeast problems.

Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997

If we assume that yeast overgrowth occurs when "friendly" intestinal

bacteria are killed off by antibiotics, and the yeast, among other things,

interferes with adequate absorption, then they do have a point. After all,

some B vitamins require the bacterial action in the intestine, to be absorbed.

What disturbs me is that I doubt that these recurring candida infestations

could happen without gluten or lactose problems. Sure, antibiotics kill off

the "friendly" bacteria. But that should be a very temporary event, followed

by re-colonization of the gut, by bacterial cultures.

What stops that return of the bacteria? A condition where clubbed and

flattened villi cause decay of food in the intestine due to malabsorption.

In that case, the candida is provided with food so it can continue to

proliferate.

If gluten/casein is eliminated from the diet, the situation will soon

normalize, in most cases. Then a return to a normal diet, after the repair

of the intestine has taken place, will not result in immediate symptoms. In

fact, it may take months or years before sufficient intestinal damage

results, and the symptoms return. The conclusion drawn from this is that a

new return of the candida has taken place. Within limits, this is a correct

assessment. But it ignores the underlying problem.

The underlying problem is gluten-induced intestinal damage, but because the

Candida is easier to identify, the underlying pathology is missed.

If I'm right, then these people with recurring and chronic yeast infections

will be at much greater risk of developing stomach and intestinal

malignancies, especially lymphomas. If they are right, they get to eat a

food that is of questionable nutritional value, and has been identified as

causing a variety of other ills. It is a lop-sided equation, but I don't

know how to convince them that they are walking into the lion's den. It is

too bad!

Best Wishes,

Ron Hoggan Calgary, Alberta, Canada

esthesio-vivi Rookie
What stops that return of the bacteria? A condition where clubbed and

flattened villi cause decay of food in the intestine due to malabsorption.

In that case, the candida is provided with food so it can continue to

proliferate.

If gluten/casein is eliminated from the diet, the situation will soon

normalize, in most cases. Then a return to a normal diet, after the repair

of the intestine has taken place, will not result in immediate symptoms. In

fact, it may take months or years before sufficient intestinal damage

results, and the symptoms return. The conclusion drawn from this is that a

new return of the candida has taken place. Within limits, this is a correct

assessment. But it ignores the underlying problem.

The underlying problem is gluten-induced intestinal damage, but because the

Candida is easier to identify, the underlying pathology is missed.

Since I started this post I have done much research, abstained from Gluten, and I've learned alot!

The evidence I've found, and my personal results have me convinced that Celiac disease is in fact the real problem.

Whole approach forums, which is a candida support forum, has many people asking questions about celiac disease that are going unanswered. They are looking in the right direction, but because many of them are getting the celiac anti-body panel done, the docs blow it off because they rarely come out totally positive.

Many of them treat Candidiasis as though it's a disease that cannot be recovered from without extreme, long-term, or permenant depravation. I am believing more and more that Celiac is the most common cause... and there would not be nearly as many people having candida problems if they simply removed this destructive protein. This would allow healing and prevent further intestinal damage on such a devestating scale.

Celiac may be difficult to diagnose at this present time, but Candida sufferers need to look past this medical insufficiency and see the evidence. Only research and experimentation will convince you. Also, don't expect immediate results. If you have been eating gluten or casein there could be extensive damage that will take MONTHS to heal... that's why there is a candida problem in the first place.

Clark Bent as Stupor-Man Contributor

for those of you who have taken antifungals, has anybody had a very adverse reaction for more than a couple weeks to an antifungal?

I started taking SF722 in late June with only 1x1 the first week... I bumped it up over the next couple weeks until I was taking 2x1x2 per day and I did not feel good while I was taking it... I anticipated not feeling good the first week or so as part of the die-off process, but this got worse as I went up in the dosage and as I stayed on the 5 per day for a few weeks, I didn't start feeling better at any point... I ended up completely stopping the SF722 a few weeks back and have been doing a little better since then... anyone have a similar experience?

esthesio-vivi Rookie
for those of you who have taken antifungals, has anybody had a very adverse reaction for more than a couple weeks to an antifungal?

I started taking SF722 in late June with only 1x1 the first week... I bumped it up over the next couple weeks until I was taking 2x1x2 per day and I did not feel good while I was taking it... I anticipated not feeling good the first week or so as part of the die-off process, but this got worse as I went up in the dosage and as I stayed on the 5 per day for a few weeks, I didn't start feeling better at any point... I ended up completely stopping the SF722 a few weeks back and have been doing a little better since then... anyone have a similar experience?

Die-off seems to last about two weeks for most people... other unpleasent side-effects can linger even longer. The healing process can be a long one. Some Anti-fungals can be hard on the body other ways as well, such as some people have had trouble with their kidneys on Diflucan (how common that is, is arguable though). The only other thing I can think of is the binder (I'm assuming it's pill form) may contain gluten, or something else you're sensitive to.

Clark Bent as Stupor-Man Contributor
Die-off seems to last about two weeks for most people... other unpleasent side-effects can linger even longer. The healing process can be a long one. Some Anti-fungals can be hard on the body other ways as well, such as some people have had trouble with their kidneys on Diflucan (how common that is, is arguable though). The only other thing I can think of is the binder (I'm assuming it's pill form) may contain gluten, or something else you're sensitive to.

it didn't contain gluten or anything I was suspicious of reacting to... it was a gelcap and just had olive oil, gelatin, glycerin, and water as the other ingredients in addition to the active ingredient, which was derived from castor bean oil...

I was anticipating a die-off reaction for a week or 2 but I felt bad most of the time while I was taking it... and definitely worse when I went up in dosage... I might try another antifungal in a month or 2 but for now, I'm not going to try anything and I'm just going to let my body relax and recuperate... I also lost about a pound per week for 7 weeks while on it, which concerned me since I only lost a couple pounds the first 6 months of the year after going gluten-free... I'm hoping that my weight has stabilized recently and I am going to try to put some weight back on, which is difficult considering my dietary restrictions..

I don't know exactly why I reacted so negatively to it.. either way, I'm not going to try it again and I figure that any good it did is already done so hopefully it at least worked to some extent in clearing my system of candida...

Archived