Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Gluten/soy/high Fructose Corn Syrup And Corn Syrup Free Candy/cough Drops

20 posts in this topic

Hi!

Help!!! I need a cough drop or hard candy (for sore throat) that is gluten, high fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, soy and dairy free! Try to find this! I can't! Just pure cane sugar with ...something? Please help if you can.

Thank you,

lisa

Ads by Google:

Me too!!! Somebody please help us!

Me too!!! Somebody please help us!

Kabowman

Yikes! It looks like maybe there's no such thing! I have a nasty throat infection- weird, in the summer? I can't tolerate HFCS or corn syrup. Shoot, I wish someone knew something.

lisa

Kabowman

Yikes! It looks like maybe there's no such thing! I have a nasty throat infection- weird, in the summer? I can't tolerate HFCS or corn syrup. Shoot, I wish someone knew something.

lisa

Or even a recipe?

I have just gotten (getting) over one myself - finally went to the doc, thinking they can't do much for me but I got to the point where I couldn't swollow any pills and was having a hard time drinking - aparently I have strep throat!!! My kids have had it, not right now, but I have never had it and I have probably had it for a week before I finally went to the doc. Now I know what they put up with!!!

Each and Every St. Claire's Organics Products Are:

100% Vegetarian

Organically Certified by Oregon Tilth and the USDA

Wheat-Free

Gluten-Free

Peanut and Tree Nut-Free

Dairy-Free

Corn-Free

Soy-Free

Shellfish and Fish-Free

Gelatin-Free

Casein-Free

Genetically Modified Organism-Free (GMO)

These are what i use, St claires mints.

Hope you feel better!

Molly, can I buy these on the web?

Thanks Molly. I was going to order the chocolate items as I really need to put on some weight and they are out of them. I will order the tart sampler for now.

Wow! Thanks so much, Molly, for telling us about this company. Their stuff looks great. :)

St. Claire candies are good...but one warning on the cough drops--some have echinecea and a few other herbs in them. So, if you don't want to be taking those don't get them. The product I'm talking about is here: http://www.econaturalsolutions.com/site/70...oduct/TIN-OW-TH I like the candies...but they seem to make my throat sore if I eat too many of them. Acidic maybe? They are definitely worth buying, but if you are like me, too many might make a sore throat worse.

Lisa and Kate-- My recommendation is Thayer's Slippery Elm drops. This is what I use for a sore throat. Ingredients are slippery elm bark, dextrose, magnesium stearate, natural cherry flavor (you can get plain too), sucrose, vegetable stearine. Preservative, sodium, menthol, gluten, dairy free. The sweetner is corn derived. It doesn't say anything about soy, so you could ck on that. But I don't see any obvious soy on the label. See their products here: http://www.thayers.com/ They should be in any major health/natural food store.

St. Claire candies are good...but one warning on the cough drops--some have echinecea and a few other herbs in them. So, if you don't want to be taking those don't get them. The product I'm talking about is here: http://www.econaturalsolutions.com/site/70...oduct/TIN-OW-TH I like the candies...but they seem to make my throat sore if I eat too many of them. Acidic maybe? They are definitely worth buying, but if you are like me, too many might make a sore throat worse.

Lisa and Kate-- My recommendation is Thayer's Slippery Elm drops. This is what I use for a sore throat. Ingredients are slippery elm bark, dextrose, magnesium stearate, natural cherry flavor (you can get plain too), sucrose, vegetable stearine. Preservative, sodium, menthol, gluten, dairy free. The sweetner is corn derived. It doesn't say anything about soy, so you could ck on that. But I don't see any obvious soy on the label. See their products here: http://www.thayers.com/ They should be in any major health/natural food store.

Thank you, Molly and Kate and Jen and all!

Molly, yes, I have the peppermints (very tiny); I didn't know of their other things so I'm going to try some- thank you! Kate, I'm starting to wonder if this is strep myself although I've never had it, only my son. I now have lost my voice as well. Hoping you're feeling better. And,Jen, thank you for the Thayer's info, will check that, too!

lisa

Boy--that was the coolest growing up!

Yeah, I loved it when I was a kid, & my kids loved it when I did it with them!

It also occurs to me, OceanGirl, that you could make yourself a batch of simple syrup as a truly simple cough/throat syrup to take by the spoonful. Simple syrup is nothing more than equal parts sugar & boiling water, stirred until the sugar dissolves. We keep it on hand in a jar in the fridge, to sweeten iced tea & homemade lemonade-- & it is also the preferred food of hummingbirds, in case you have a feeder!

Leah

It also occurs to me, OceanGirl, that you could make yourself a batch of simple syrup as a truly simple cough/throat syrup to take by the spoonful. Simple syrup is nothing more than equal parts sugar & boiling water, stirred until the sugar dissolves. We keep it on hand in a jar in the fridge, to sweeten iced tea & homemade lemonade-- & it is also the preferred food of hummingbirds, in case you have a feeder!

Leah

This is a good idea--I have always used honey and lemon juice stired together and warmed.

This is a good idea--I have always used honey and lemon juice stired together and warmed.

Oh, yes, how could I forget that! My husband used to make something for me when I had a bad cold that he called "Rheumatiz Medicine" (Beverly Hillbillies reference!??) that consisted of warmed honey, lemon juice & whiskey! Boy it made colds a lot more tolerable! I guess you'd have to be careful about the whiskey...

Leah

Oh, yes, how could I forget that! My husband used to make something for me when I had a bad cold that he called "Rheumatiz Medicine" (Beverly Hillbillies reference!??) that consisted of warmed honey, lemon juice & whiskey! Boy it made colds a lot more tolerable! I guess you'd have to be careful about the whiskey...

Leah

We call these hot toddy's in our family, and we also add hot tea to it. It cures a cold in no time flat! If you drink it when you first feel it coming on, it doesn't seem to progress. :)

Leah

Rheumatiz Medicine :lol::lol: I remember that! When I was young, we had a gas stove with a pilot light. My mom used to keep a dish of the stuff on the stove over the pilot light whenever someone in the house was sick. It would stay nicely warm there all day.

I always do honey and lemon when I have a sore throat and, until now, it has always worked.

Thanks for the info on St. Claire's - think I will have to put in an order!!! Looks like I will have to pass on the slippery elm - too much corn. But the St. Claire's looks like I can have CANDY????

Throat is much better now - second day of drugs.

I always do honey and lemon when I have a sore throat and, until now, it has always worked.

Thanks for the info on St. Claire's - think I will have to put in an order!!! Looks like I will have to pass on the slippery elm - too much corn. But the St. Claire's looks like I can have CANDY????

Throat is much better now - second day of drugs.

Leah,

Cool crystals; I remember that-maybe I'll make myself some. Thanks everyone regarding honey and lemon-the preferred treatment of my French and Greek family. Unfortunately, I can't tolerate honey anymore (a lot of fructose in honey, I think) and right now citrus doesn't feel so good either! Gggrrrr... I'll make some simple syrup. Thank you all for your posts. Kate-glad you are feeling better!

lisa