2 replies to this topic

#1 kerri124

kerri124

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 03:33 PM

I've been gluten-free for over 3 months now. The only testing I had was blood tests that proved Celiac. I've never done the biopsy. Now I've heard that the blood tests may not be the most reliable way to detect Celiac and that Enterolab is better. My question is: Is it possible to get accurate results using Enterlob even though I've been gluten-free for 3 months already? I REALLY don't want to go back on gluten just for a test. Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 gf4life

gf4life

Our family "photo" as drawn by my daughter Hannah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 04:14 PM

Yes, you can do the testing at Enterolab while you are gluten-free. They recommend you stay on whatever diet you are currently on. They do NOT want you to go back on gluten for testing. You can e-mail Dr. Fine and ask him which test(s) he would recommend, since you have been gluten-free for three months, and on the questionaire that you fill out when you send the test kit back it will ask you if you have been on a gluten-free diet and for how long.

I did go back on gluten for testing and it was awful. I was on gluten for two months and my biopsy was still negative! I was sicker than I had ever been and would not recommend it to anyone. It took me months to heal from the damage and I had trouble digesting anything for at least a month and then only digestive enzymes helped. I am very thankful for Enterolab.

God bless,
Mariann
~West Coast-Central California~

Mariann, gluten intolerant and mother of 3 gluten intolerant children

#3 jasrich

jasrich

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 07:05 PM

My anti-endomysial antibody and transglutaminase blood tests were negative but I tested strong positive for gliadin antibodies. My Enterolab results are:

Gluten Sensitivity Stool Test
Fecal Antigliadin IgA 38 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

Stool Test for Autoimmune Reaction to Tissue Transglutaminase
Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 33 Units (Normal Range <10
Units)

Stool Test for Small Intestinal Malabsorption
Microscopic Fecal Fat Score: 287 Units (Normal Range < 300
Units)

I guess I'm curious what other peoples' results have been but if I am to trust the Enterolab results I should be on a gluten-free diet. My GI doc, however, doesn't want me to go gluten-free until they get the endoscopic biopsies but I have to wait until she gets back from vacation in three weeks. How have other people tested?

TIA,

Jason

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: