This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

My First Post!

Lilla

Lilla Newbie

Hi!

I've been lurking for a few weeks now, so thought I'd make it "official" and actually post something! My story is quite long and resembles many that I have read here. After many years of difficulty, I have begun to suspect that gluten is the culprit. Had blood test last week and am anxiously waiting for the results. In the meantime, I have a question. On my back (especially my shoulders), I have legions of these small, white spots (imagine a "reverse freckle"). They do appear to be slightly raised. I noticed them about a year a half ago. I waited to go to the doctor, as they don't itch. However, they aren't very attractive. I did go to the doctor about 2 weeks ago, as it seems that I am just getting more and more of them...now, also on my front as well. The doctor had no idea of what they were. After consulting with a nurse, the two of them decided that it was some variant of acne. I don't know about that...just a gut-feeling. I have been treating it, as they suggested, with acne medication. Well, everything else on my back is starting to clear up, but not the white spots! :lol:

Could this skin condition be caused by a food intolerance? If it doesn't start to improve in another 2 weeks, I'll go back and ask for a second opinion. As many of you know, dealing with doctors can be so frustrating! Thanks for reading this!

Karen in Sweden

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

taz sharratt Enthusiast
Hi!

I've been lurking for a few weeks now, so thought I'd make it "official" and actually post something! My story is quite long and resembles many that I have read here. After many years of difficulty, I have begun to suspect that gluten is the culprit. Had blood test last week and am anxiously waiting for the results. In the meantime, I have a question. On my back (especially my shoulders), I have legions of these small, white spots (imagine a "reverse freckle"). They do appear to be slightly raised. I noticed them about a year a half ago. I waited to go to the doctor, as they don't itch. However, they aren't very attractive. I did go to the doctor about 2 weeks ago, as it seems that I am just getting more and more of them...now, also on my front as well. The doctor had no idea of what they were. After consulting with a nurse, the two of them decided that it was some variant of acne. I don't know about that...just a gut-feeling. I have been treating it, as they suggested, with acne medication. Well, everything else on my back is starting to clear up, but not the white spots! :lol:

Could this skin condition be caused by a food intolerance? If it doesn't start to improve in another 2 weeks, I'll go back and ask for a second opinion. As many of you know, dealing with doctors can be so frustrating! Thanks for reading this!

Karen in Sweden

dont really know about this one hunny, but it ouldnt supprise me if gluten was the culprit. welcome to the board! you will find the answer here as there are lots of knoweladgable people here who know an awfull lot about gluten related things. good luck!!!

Lilla Newbie
dont really know about this one hunny, but it ouldnt supprise me if gluten was the culprit. welcome to the board! you will find the answer here as there are lots of knoweladgable people here who know an awfull lot about gluten related things. good luck!!!

Thanks for the welcome and the reply! :)

CarlaB Enthusiast

Welcome to the board! I don't know about the white spots, but I have the "reverse freckles" and regular ones, too.

Guest nini

before my dx I had all these really weird little bumps all over my shoulders, chest and even my face. Sometimes they were red and puffy but most of the time they were raise white bumps. Sometimes they itched and sometimes they didn't. The dr.s didn't ever figure out WHAT they were but they did dissapear after I went gluten-free.

Lilla Newbie

Thanks to everyone! I don't know why I didn't buy their dx of "acne" (maybe because it felt like they kind of just "guessed" what it was and then dismissed me as quickly as they possibly could). I plan to go gluten free as soon as the results from my tests are--no matter what the result says. My body feels better without it, and that is pretty much good enough for me. Thanks again!

Karen

Han-Jam Newbie

Hi Lilla,

I found your post a a result that goggle posted after I serached for 'raised small white bumps on shoulders' as this is something that I have had for a couple of weeks now.

I'm celiac and have been diagnosed for 2 and a half years. I've to date been very good with maintianing a gluten free diet and have long since stopped missing many wheat based foods (cakes, bread, pizza - you know the score!)

But I've been quite depressed lately and have thought that indulging in the odd cake or piece of buttery toast would cheer me up, and too depressed to care what it would do to my health. But I'm guessing that as well as causing the bad stomach cramps and lethargy I used to suffer before diagnosis the re introuduction of gluten has also casued these white bumps. I've just started on a complete de-tox and am back gluten free (forever). My advice is to try the same and see if they clear up.

Good luck

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast

Welcome to the board!

Depression is often a symptom of the disease. I take St. John's Wort for it, and there are others here who take other things -- drugs and/or herbs. St. John's works well for me, but if you're taking other meds you need to see if it will work with them.

Staying off gluten is necessary, too! :P There are pretty good gluten-free alternatives to your buttery toast -- I like Kinnikinnick, they even have great donuts!

I'm glad your search led you here, you'll fine a lot of good info here.

angel-jd1 Community Regular
Hi Lilla,

I found your post a a result that goggle posted after I serached for 'raised small white bumps on shoulders' as this is something that I have had for a couple of weeks now.

I'm celiac and have been diagnosed for 2 and a half years. I've to date been very good with maintianing a gluten free diet and have long since stopped missing many wheat based foods (cakes, bread, pizza - you know the score!)

But I've been quite depressed lately and have thought that indulging in the odd cake or piece of buttery toast would cheer me up, and too depressed to care what it would do to my health. But I'm guessing that as well as causing the bad stomach cramps and lethargy I used to suffer before diagnosis the re introuduction of gluten has also casued these white bumps. I've just started on a complete de-tox and am back gluten free (forever). My advice is to try the same and see if they clear up.

Good luck

Sounds like today was your lucky day. I hope that you stick around the board. This group is full of supportive folks who can offer advice, a shoulder to lean on, and ears to listen with. Sometimes it is hard, but with support it seems slightly easier.

I'm glad you have decided to stay away from gluten. You have figured out that it can trigger more than an upset tummy.

Come here and post often. We would be happy to have you.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

lonewolf Collaborator
I've to date been very good with maintianing a gluten free diet and have long since stopped missing many wheat based foods (cakes, bread, pizza - you know the score!)

But I've been quite depressed lately and have thought that indulging in the odd cake or piece of buttery toast would cheer me up, and too depressed to care what it would do to my health.

Hello and welcome to the board Han Jam. Sorry to chop your post up, but wanted to point out a few things.

You don't have to miss cake, bread or pizza. You can have more than the "odd cake or piece of buttery toast". My avatar is a picture of a gluten-free pizza that I made from scratch - and it wasn't hard and tasted great! It's easy to make gluten-free cakes from mixes or scratch. There are good breads available. I just had 2 pieces of buttery toast yesterday!

Look in the recipe section on this site or do a quick search for recipes - you'll find a lot! Or ask us and we'll help you find what you need.

Lilla Newbie
Hi Lilla,

Good luck

Thanks so much for replying. Reading your post makes me feel a bit less lost. I was reasonably sure that the white bump thingies had something to do with gluten, but had no real evidence. I just recently found out that gluten may be the culprit which would explain a myriad of symptoms I've been having the past few years, and only went for the testing a week and a half ago. Hopefully, I'll get the results soon and be able to start the gluten free diet. Good luck to you!

lonewolf Collaborator

Welcome to the board Lilla! Sorry to ignore you on my last post. I'm sure you'll like it here - people are very helpful and caring.

I hope you figure out the white bumps. I have problems with my skin and I know how frustrating it can be.

rinne Apprentice

Welcome Lilla and Han Jam, this place is great for making connections as you have just discovered. :)

Lilla, I hope you will check out some past threads, there is lots of information here on testing for Celiac and the real problems of getting an accurate diagnosis. A gluten free diet is a diagnostic tool and it is one you have control over.

Lilla Newbie
Welcome to the board Lilla! Sorry to ignore you on my last post. I'm sure you'll like it here - people are very helpful and caring.

I hope you figure out the white bumps. I have problems with my skin and I know how frustrating it can be.

Thanks for the welcome! It's nice to be here!

Welcome Lilla and Han Jam, this place is great for making connections as you have just discovered. :)

Lilla, I hope you will check out some past threads, there is lots of information here on testing for Celiac and the real problems of getting an accurate diagnosis. A gluten free diet is a diagnostic tool and it is one you have control over.

Thanks for the welcome. There certainly is tons and tons of helpful information here. I do plan on going gluten free no matter what the results of the blood test say. My body seems to seriously dislike gluten and that's good enough for me. The positive thing with having an "actual" diagnosis here (I live in Sweden) is that I will be given a certain amount of money each year to help pay for the extra cost of a gluten free diet.

Han-Jam Newbie

[Thanks for the lovely welcome and the support. There are so many great threads to check out , a whole load of advice. I'm based in the UK so so of the brands you mention aren't available, but I bought some glten free lasagne sheets last night so will be baking tonight to enjoy my first lasagne in 2 and half years as I've worked out a great way of making bechemel without flour too!

jenvan Collaborator

Some more ideas:

Is Vitilgo a possibility? Vitilgo is not "bumpy" though, so if the spots really are, then its probably not. Fungal infection? How about clogged pores? Those little bumpy, pimply type spots (can be white/red) usually appear on back of arms, legs, butt. Can be helped with an exfoliating lotion with ie, a high lactic acid content. Or maybe Milia? Read about here: Open Original Shared Link

rinne Apprentice
Thanks for the welcome. There certainly is tons and tons of helpful information here. I do plan on going gluten free no matter what the results of the blood test say. My body seems to seriously dislike gluten and that's good enough for me. The positive thing with having an "actual" diagnosis here (I live in Sweden) is that I will be given a certain amount of money each year to help pay for the extra cost of a gluten free diet.

That's great, I feel the same way. My bloodwork was negative but I hadn't been eating gluten and I am waiting to have an endoscopy and colonoscopy which I don't think will show the Celiac but I am hoping will rule out other problems. I have known for years I don't digest bread and avoided it but now that I understand about gluten and have gone gluten free I am slowly getting better. I don't need an official diagnosis and here in Canada there aren't any perks like Sweden.

Archived