12 replies to this topic

#1 2Boys4Me

2Boys4Me

Ty & me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 07:55 AM

Does anyone know if Werther's original is gluten-free? The ingredients look okay, but I can't find a website or phone number to confirm it.

Thanks.
Linda, Mom to Ty (11 years old)
Ty was diagnosed by blood test June 7/05
biopsy Aug 11/05, diagnosis confirmed Aug 18/05
Mom, Dad and big brother Celiac-free.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 snapple

snapple

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 08:28 AM

Hello! I just did an online search and found the website. Werther's is owned by Storck; I do not believe that it is based in the US. If you want to contact them here is the website to submit your question: http://www.storck.us...ntact/index.php

Hope this helps!
Gluten free since 12/05 and feeling better!

#3 num1habsfan

num1habsfan

Prairie field, possibly the best picture I've taken!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 08:41 AM

Does anyone know if Werther's original is gluten-free? The ingredients look okay, but I can't find a website or phone number to confirm it.

Thanks.

I eat them all the time, actually use then as coughdrops, and have NEVER had an issue with them! But I could be wrong...
~lisa~

...Flames vs. Panthers, and Lifehouse, were best experiences OF MY LIFE!!...
...26 years old...
...Look in my forum profile for ways to read my public sports articles...

R.I.P. Uncle Gus (Sept. 21, 1971 - Oct. 2, 2004) ... R.I.P. Baba (Oct. 12, 1911 - Feb. 28, 2006) ... R.I.P. Uncle Lawrence (Aug. 7, 1943 - Jan. 4, 2009)

#4 blueeyedmanda

blueeyedmanda

York Fair 2009

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 12:18 PM

I have a cup of them sitting on my desk, no problems here either
~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

Posted Image

#5 Christian

Christian

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 06:30 PM

In answer to the question as to whether Werther's candies are gluten free................the ingredients on the back of the bag indicate that there is wheat in the candies.

#6 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,027 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 06:43 PM

This discussion began in the summer of 2006. What was true of ingredients at that time may no longer be true. Formulas change all the time.

Werther's is a brand which applies to a number of candies. Christian, which ones specifically do you mean? The original poster asked about Werther's Original, which I have also eaten without incident, although not recently.

This should also be a reminder to always read the ingredient list. I admit I don't always do it, but whenever a package looks different than the last one, I read. If it is something that I haven't bought in a while, I read. If in any doubt, I read.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#7 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 02:22 AM

I have not read the package in the last few months, but I do know, they did change the ingredients and included wheat. That's when I quit keeping them in my desk for that occasional throat tickle. I was very disappointed when they changed the ingredients.

This is their statement as of July 07:

Werther's
7/07

The following somewhat confusing letter was received 6/19/07 from Michael Phillips from the STORCK manufacturing company (312-467-5700):

"Based on the guidelines of the German association for celiac disease, products with a gluten content less than 200ppm can be named as 'Gluten Free'.

The 200 ppm limit is also a well known international guidance level based on the codex alimentarius. The following products fall below this limit:

Werther's Original Hard
Werther's Orinal Hard Sugar Free
Werther's Orignal Chewy
Werther's Chocolates
Riesen
Mamba
Milkfuls
Toffifay

Unfortunately, we cannot say that our products are completely gluten free because some of our products may contain small amounts of wheat gluten. So to be sure, and to avoid becoming ill, we recommend that you only purchase those products that you know positively are 100% gluten free."

Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

#8 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 05:17 PM

Here is a link to their ingredients. I was wondering this myself. I want to eat one since hubby brought a bag home. I believe they don't lable it gluten free because of the glucose syrup they use sometimes comes from wheat. I have read that even glucose syrup made from gluten grains is safe because of the high degree of processing. I have eaten the cadburry eggs and they have it in too without any problem so I think I'll try and see.

http://www.werthers-...nal.us/#/B20000

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

#9 JillianLindsay

JillianLindsay

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 07:55 PM

I don't see the Werther's Chocolate Crunch on this site to find the ingredients. I got little Werther's Chocolate Crunch in a cracker at Xmas dinner and am wondering if they're safe to eat. They don't have the ingredients on the wrapper and I can't seem to find them online! Anyone have up-to-date info on this?

Jillian

P.S. -- if it's Canadian info, that would be even better! Thanks~

Here is a link to their ingredients. I was wondering this myself. I want to eat one since hubby brought a bag home. I believe they don't lable it gluten free because of the glucose syrup they use sometimes comes from wheat. I have read that even glucose syrup made from gluten grains is safe because of the high degree of processing. I have eaten the cadburry eggs and they have it in too without any problem so I think I'll try and see.

http://www.werthers-...nal.us/#/B20000

gluten-free since July 8, 2009!

#10 karen577

karen577

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 10:10 PM

Thanks.

I read this forum earlier today and decided to take the risk and try a couple Werther's. I had a skin reaction later that day and I suspect it was from the candies since they were the only food I had today that was not guaranteed gluten free.

#11 MelindaLee

MelindaLee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 10:17 PM

Just from the name "crunch" I would be suspicious. Usually the crunch is either cookie or crispies, both of which aren't safe. I did find them on the internet, the crunch is from nuts. Unfortunately the orginal toffee, which is also part of it, has Wheat as a possible ingreadient (Wheat or corn). I don't think I would try them. <_<

#12 gputman

gputman

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 08:44 PM

The allergy warnings on the sugar free ones don't contain a wheat warning

#13 Owlmuse

Owlmuse

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:47 PM

Has anyone settled this yet? There I was sucking my delicious werthers' hard candy only to see it has glucose syrup made from wheat in it! I was horrifid!! I've since done some research on glucose syrup but I'm still very confused! I've found that according to the werther's site, gluten free living magazine site and (in another post) the Australian New zelend equivalent of the FDA and celiac foundation that its fine. Yet I've seen numberpus posts by people who say they have problems. It seems to be a real issue abroad as glucose syrup in the states is made from corn. It just happens that werther's are from Germany. I'm a silent celiac and can't tell on my own what's causing a problem. Has anyone else figured this out? I mean scientifically, not just being scared of the idea or the word 'wheat'.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: