Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Werther's Original Hard Candy
1 1

16 posts in this topic

Does anyone know if Werther's original is gluten-free? The ingredients look okay, but I can't find a website or phone number to confirm it.

Thanks.

Ads by Google:

Hello! I just did an online search and found the website. Werther's is owned by Storck; I do not believe that it is based in the US. If you want to contact them here is the website to submit your question: http://www.storck.us/en/contact/index.php

Hope this helps!

Does anyone know if Werther's original is gluten-free? The ingredients look okay, but I can't find a website or phone number to confirm it.

Thanks.

I eat them all the time, actually use then as coughdrops, and have NEVER had an issue with them! But I could be wrong...

~lisa~

I have a cup of them sitting on my desk, no problems here either

In answer to the question as to whether Werther's candies are gluten free................the ingredients on the back of the bag indicate that there is wheat in the candies.

This discussion began in the summer of 2006. What was true of ingredients at that time may no longer be true. Formulas change all the time.

Werther's is a brand which applies to a number of candies. Christian, which ones specifically do you mean? The original poster asked about Werther's Original, which I have also eaten without incident, although not recently.

This should also be a reminder to always read the ingredient list. I admit I don't always do it, but whenever a package looks different than the last one, I read. If it is something that I haven't bought in a while, I read. If in any doubt, I read.

I have not read the package in the last few months, but I do know, they did change the ingredients and included wheat. That's when I quit keeping them in my desk for that occasional throat tickle. I was very disappointed when they changed the ingredients.

This is their statement as of July 07:

Werther's

7/07

The following somewhat confusing letter was received 6/19/07 from Michael Phillips from the STORCK manufacturing company (312-467-5700):

"Based on the guidelines of the German association for celiac disease, products with a gluten content less than 200ppm can be named as 'Gluten Free'.

The 200 ppm limit is also a well known international guidance level based on the codex alimentarius. The following products fall below this limit:

Werther's Original Hard

Werther's Orinal Hard Sugar Free

Werther's Orignal Chewy

Werther's Chocolates

Riesen

Mamba

Milkfuls

Toffifay

Unfortunately, we cannot say that our products are completely gluten free because some of our products may contain small amounts of wheat gluten. So to be sure, and to avoid becoming ill, we recommend that you only purchase those products that you know positively are 100% gluten free."

Here is a link to their ingredients. I was wondering this myself. I want to eat one since hubby brought a bag home. I believe they don't lable it gluten free because of the glucose syrup they use sometimes comes from wheat. I have read that even glucose syrup made from gluten grains is safe because of the high degree of processing. I have eaten the cadburry eggs and they have it in too without any problem so I think I'll try and see.

http://www.werthers-original.us/#/B20000

I don't see the Werther's Chocolate Crunch on this site to find the ingredients. I got little Werther's Chocolate Crunch in a cracker at Xmas dinner and am wondering if they're safe to eat. They don't have the ingredients on the wrapper and I can't seem to find them online! Anyone have up-to-date info on this?

Jillian

P.S. -- if it's Canadian info, that would be even better! Thanks~

Here is a link to their ingredients. I was wondering this myself. I want to eat one since hubby brought a bag home. I believe they don't lable it gluten free because of the glucose syrup they use sometimes comes from wheat. I have read that even glucose syrup made from gluten grains is safe because of the high degree of processing. I have eaten the cadburry eggs and they have it in too without any problem so I think I'll try and see.

http://www.werthers-original.us/#/B20000

Thanks.

I read this forum earlier today and decided to take the risk and try a couple Werther's. I had a skin reaction later that day and I suspect it was from the candies since they were the only food I had today that was not guaranteed gluten free.

Just from the name "crunch" I would be suspicious. Usually the crunch is either cookie or crispies, both of which aren't safe. I did find them on the internet, the crunch is from nuts. Unfortunately the orginal toffee, which is also part of it, has Wheat as a possible ingreadient (Wheat or corn). I don't think I would try them. <_<

The allergy warnings on the sugar free ones don't contain a wheat warning

Has anyone settled this yet? There I was sucking my delicious werthers' hard candy only to see it has glucose syrup made from wheat in it! I was horrifid!! I've since done some research on glucose syrup but I'm still very confused! I've found that according to the werther's site, gluten free living magazine site and (in another post) the Australian New zelend equivalent of the FDA and celiac foundation that its fine. Yet I've seen numberpus posts by people who say they have problems. It seems to be a real issue abroad as glucose syrup in the states is made from corn. It just happens that werther's are from Germany. I'm a silent celiac and can't tell on my own what's causing a problem. Has anyone else figured this out? I mean scientifically, not just being scared of the idea or the word 'wheat'.

Amytjeeuh:  Thank you for sharing this Werthers' update in 2015.  Appreciate it.

Ingredients: Sugar, Glucose Syrup (from Wheat or Corn), Cream, Condensed Whey, Butter, Cane Sugar Syrup, Salt, Soy Lecithin Emulsifier, Artificial Flavor.

Allergy Information: Contains milk, soybeans and wheat.

These are the ingredients for Werther's Original Hard Candies here in the USA. Candies manufactured in other countries may have different ingredients, but these candies ARE NOT gluten free.