4 replies to this topic

#1 Racheleona

Racheleona

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 07:50 PM

Hi, I'm a nineteen year old thats been through battles trying to figure out my health problems for years. My doctor did a test for the antibodies necessary to diagnose celiac disease(which I had not even heard of until my first visit with this doctor last month!and has lead me to researching the disease)Anyhow, I just got the results back in the mail and have no clue what they mean, and am wondering if someone could help me out? My test shows I have a reading of 20 IgG, 6 IgA, and 5 tTg...I see that it does say that 20 IgG is abnormal, but does this mean I am celiac :( ? This is really stressing me out! Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 08:01 AM

out of curiosity - which IgG?
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#3 Racheleona

Racheleona

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 10:15 AM

Uuuumm, All it says is IgG class, and it's listed under anti-gliadin antibodies...

#4 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 01:34 PM

That's what I was wondering - if it was the anti-gliandin antibody... (I only had one raised antibody, and that was anti-reticulin.)

I'd guess your doctor would say that's a negative test, but given that it shows a reaction to the protein in wheat, I'd try the gluten-free diet (be very strict on it) to see if it helps you. But I'm not a doctor!
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#5 Racheleona

Racheleona

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 06:46 PM

Even though the one's positive, I think you're right, I have been gluten free for 2 weeks, (with one mishap of licking an envelope) and haven't noticed a difference. Iam not sure what you mean by strict, but I have been mainly eating eggs, health valley corn chex with Pacific brand rice milk, organic turkey, bacon, and chicken, plain rice, raw veggies and fruits, raw nuts, and beans, and today tried the Pamela's gluten free choc. chip cookies, and rice/almond bread. It's dissapointing though, I thought I was going to gain weight consuming many starches/carbs.(at least this is what I have read) but I have lost 5 pounds which I cannot afford to do being 5'5" and now 104. But I also think it would take awhile to notice changes from going gluten-free b/c the symptoms I have are drastic such as no menstruation for almost two years, hair thinning, etc. but my energy levels and concentration have not changed. I was in a way almost hoping I have Celiac disease b/c then I have a reason why I haven't menstruated and can change that, otherwise I am still left hanging worrying if I will be able to have children : (. I wonder if just having a wheat allergy can cause such drastic problems as I have had since I was 15? Anyways, I am babling on my frustrations! Thanks for your reply to my message Tiffany!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: