Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

A gluten-free Week On A Ranch In The West Anyone?

• Please log in to reply

13 replies to this topic

#1 Nevadan

Nevadan

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 08:55 PM

My wife and I recently returned from an extremely enjoyable gluten-free week on a guest ranch in Wyoming, actually on the WY/CO border between Laramie, WY and Ft. Collins, CO. The owners of the ranch, a mother-daughter combo are both celiac and devote one week per month to gluten-free clientel. We found this to be a really great experience on an authentic western ranch - been in the family since early 1900's and currently raises beefalo (buffalo/cow mix) and horses. There was plenty of horseback riding including excellent basic instruction for those new to horses (that's me), hiking, and mtn climbing for the more ambitious. This is not the typical "dude ranch" with all the phony "western exerience"; this is the real thing, very rustic and extremely friendly. We felt like we had spent a week visiting friends. It's a great place for those interested in experiencing ranch life in the real West including families with children interested in horses - and it's gluten-free!

You can check out their website: http://www.2bars7.com/ Also feel free to PM me for additional details.

George

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 beaglemania

beaglemania

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 06:17 AM

I've heard of that place. I'd love to go.

#3 BRUMI1968

BRUMI1968

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 07:23 AM

I dream of opening such a place in Montana one day in the next five years. I'll check it out.

p.s. I don't live in Montana right now.

#4 dlp252

dlp252

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,931 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 07:37 AM

My wife and I recently returned from an extremely enjoyable gluten-free week on a guest ranch in Wyoming, actually on the WY/CO border between Laramie, WY and Ft. Collins, CO. The owners of the ranch, a mother-daughter combo are both celiac and devote one week per month to gluten-free clientel. We found this to be a really great experience on an authentic western ranch - been in the family since early 1900's and currently raises beefalo (buffalo/cow mix) and horses. There was plenty of horseback riding including excellent basic instruction for those new to horses (that's me), hiking, and mtn climbing for the more ambitious. This is not the typical "dude ranch" with all the phony "western exerience"; this is the real thing, very rustic and extremely friendly. We felt like we had spent a week visiting friends. It's a great place for those interested in experiencing ranch life in the real West including families with children interested in horses - and it's gluten-free!

You can check out their website: http://www.2bar7.com/ Also feel free to PM me for additional details.

George

Sounds wonderful, thanks for the link!

#5 DingoGirl

DingoGirl

my babies ♥

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,645 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 09:32 AM

I"m afraid of horses, but would still LOVE LOVE LOVE to go to this place. Thanks for the info! :rolleyes:
SUSIE

Diagnosed January 2006

"I like nonsense. It wakes up the brain cells." ~Dr. Seuss

#6 Turtle

Turtle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 09:35 AM

AWESOME!! Time to start saving my pennies so I can go one day!! Thanks so much for sharing!
~Turtle~

#7 jenvan

jenvan

Lynne took this picture! :)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 10:14 AM

Thanks for sharing...sounds like a great trip! Pictures look beautiful! Anything else you did?
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005
dairy-free

#8 Nevadan

Nevadan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 01:06 PM

A couple of responses:

Susan,
The ranch has 7,000 acres so hiking is vitually unlimited. Even if you just hang around the house the scenery is outstanding and the hospitality is hard to beat. It's a very relaxing place. There was a family who were there for the week also and the father had had nothing but bad horse experiences and only came because of the wife and kids. After some very good basic instruction in horsemanship, the father ended up enjoying the riding as much as the rest of the family.

Jenvan,
Our trip was for two weeks. First we did the 2 Bars 7 ranch for a week, then went to Cheyene for the opening of their Frontier Days rodeo for one day. Then on to Cody, WY where we stayed for 3 days doing some extremely beautiful loop drives around the area but spent the most time in the Buffalo Bill History Center, a really interesting place if you have any interest in the history of the Plains and Rockies. Then on to Big Sky, MT for a couple of days via Yellowstone. After Big Sky we headed for home (Reno, NV) back thru Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons, Idaho Falls, ID, Twin Falls, ID, Jackpot, NV, and home. We had a great time.

George

#9 Lymetoo

Lymetoo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 01:13 PM

Wow....sounds great!!
Negative biopsy for celiac 1980
Fibromyalgia 1980
IBS 1980
Interstitial Cystitis 1992
Systemic yeast
Diagnosed w/ Chronic Lyme Disease 2000
Diagnosed w/ Chronic babesia 2000
Tachycardia 2001
Asthma 2005
Have had Lyme and babesia for
about 48 yrs.

Began gluten-free July 19 '06
Native TEXAN living in Missouri

#10 floridanative

floridanative

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 03:44 PM

That sounds totally cool George! Glad you had such a great time and thanks for sharing. Next year is a 'lite' vacation year for us (meaning we'll be here in the states) so I found out about the only gluten-free B&B that only serves gluten-free food to everyone - Celiac or not. I've already booked our stay for next spring. Not only will I get gluten-free scones for breakfast (homemade) the host will tell us where to eat and what is safe for me to order - all at non chain places. Oh I'm so excited just thinking about it and it's 7 months away. It's the Chicken Paradise in San Antonio if anyone is interested. Dh is like why would you want to go there for vacation? I told him unless he wants to go to Spain instead he best let it go. Now he's excited too - lol!
Dx'd with anemia - March 2005
Positive blood tests - Sept. 2005
Positive biopsy - Jan. 2006
Gluten free since 1-23-06

#11 whitball

whitball

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 04:46 PM

your post made me so homesick! I am orginally from Buffalo, Wyoming, but lived in Laramie for several years before moving to Michigan in 1994. I'm glad you enjoyed your trip. Brought back the past for me and really made me want to go home. The whole area is beautiful. There are some awesome ranches in the Buffalo, Sheridan wyoming area, but not sure of the gluten free aspect of them. My mom still lives in Buffalo and hope that I can get out there this fall.
Positive biopsy, positive blood test in 2/2006
Muscle biopsy in thigh in 2004 to confirm metabolic myopathy (found denervated nerves)
Interstitial cystitis diagnosis 2004
Hysterectomy 2003
3 for c-sections, 2 laparoscopies to remove abdominal adhesions
Abnormal heart beat when tired or glutened

#12 Swiss

Swiss

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 01:03 AM

When I follow your link www.2bar7.com I reach some PowerPC Linux etc homepage. What's wrong? Can anyone help me. I really would like to visit this page.
And to floridanative: What San Antonio are you talking about? TX?

#13 Nevadan

Nevadan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 08:27 AM

When I follow your link www.2bar7.com I reach some PowerPC Linux etc homepage. What's wrong? Can anyone help me. I really would like to visit this page.
And to floridanative: What San Antonio are you talking about? TX?

Looks like I did a typo in my original post. The website address should be: http://www.2bars7.com/ For some reason the link I first posted worked orginally but clearly not now. If all else fails you can give them a phone call and they will send you a brochure describing their guest ranch. Their phone #: 307-742-6072. Their snailmail address is P.O. Box 67, Tie Siding, WY 82084 should you prefer to write for the brochure.

(Edited 8/19/06 9:54am)

#14 Swiss

Swiss

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 11:47 PM

It works now. Thanks for your help. Seems to be a really nice place.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: