This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Deep Fryer?

queenofhearts

queenofhearts Explorer

This isn't really a gluten-free question, but over the years I have toyed with the idea of buying a fryer. Do any of you have them? I don't eat fried food all that often, but when I do, I get frustrated with the temperature regulation & the houseful of fried smell... if you have a fyer, does it help with the smell as well? Does it do a better job? Or is it just an expensive gimmick?

Leah

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

beaglemania Rookie

I have a deep fryer, we haven't really used it that much though yet. We've only used it for fried chicken with potato chip breading or pancake mix breading. Its pretty good in the pancake mix.

CarlaB Enthusiast

My mom is obsessive/compulsive and she always had one and our house never smelled. I don't know if that means anything, but we did have the best french fries and corn fritters on the planet!

mamatide Enthusiast
My mom is obsessive/compulsive and she always had one and our house never smelled. I don't know if that means anything, but we did have the best french fries and corn fritters on the planet!

MMM! Corn Fritters - would you be willing to share the recipe? I love corn fritters and I do own a deep fryer (used primarily for home made fries and chicken wings).

mamatide

CarlaB Enthusiast
MMM! Corn Fritters - would you be willing to share the recipe? I love corn fritters and I do own a deep fryer (used primarily for home made fries and chicken wings).

mamatide

Ha, I wish!!! She made those back when I was a kid and could eat whatever I wanted!!! :angry: I'm sorry. But if you do find a recipe, be sure they have whole kernels of corn in them then drench them with pure maple syrup!!

jkmunchkin Rising Star

A few months back I was desperately craving wings, and was determined to buy a fryer and make my own. I thought of all these wonderful things I could make with my fryer. So I set about finding which one I wanted, and bought my fryer. One batch of delicious wings later and I've yet to use it again. LOL!!

Nonetheless, I'm still happy I bought the fryer. You never know when that wings craving will kick back in. :)

awesomeame Explorer

we have a $150 unit, but it's never used. i deep-fry once every 3 months or so and just heat up a small pan of oil on the stove and stick a thermometer in it. uses way less oil then the deep fryer, and frys food just as fast!

a couple GOOD things about fryers...you don't need to watch the temp, just set it at 350* & go. also you can set it outside on the deck so you don't get a houseful of stink. would be handy if you're cooking for more then two ppl, or if you plan to eat that fatty stuff really often :)

--matt

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived