Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Sprouted Grain Bread?

8 posts in this topic

A friend at work had a couple slices of this today and let me taste it. Tasted like regular bread to me.

They're touting this stuff as "Wheat Free" sort of. They claim that by sprouting the wheat, it breaks down the Gluten and people are then able to digest it. Anyone heard of this and what do you think.

Oh, yeah, sorry I haven't checked in for a while. I'm doing fine. Jerry

Here's a link to the product, which I meant to insert in the original message.Silver Hills Sprouted Grain Bread

Ads by Google:

I'm new.....but I thought it was NOT ok for celiacs. I used to eat it.

It's called Ezekiel Bread, and it is not gluten-free!!!! You can read about it at the Ezekiel Bread website. They also make gluten-free bread and do not claim Ezekiel Bread to be gluten-free. Apparently the sprouting of the grains makes the bread healthier and easier to digest for those who can eat gluten.

Hope you get lucky and don't feel bad from it!!

Edit - the brand you posted is a different brand from the one I mentioned. But if it has wheat, barley or rye, the one you had still is not gluten-free.

A friend at work had a couple slices of this today and let me taste it. Tasted like regular bread to me.

They're touting this stuff as "Wheat Free" sort of. They claim that by sprouting the wheat, it breaks down the Gluten and people are then able to digest it. Anyone heard of this and what do you think.

Oh, yeah, sorry I haven't checked in for a while. I'm doing fine. Jerry

Here's a link to the product, which I meant to insert in the original message.Silver Hills Sprouted Grain Bread

Actually, sprouting converts starch into sugar. If the gluten were truly broken down, it wouldn't make good bread. It's the gluten that gives wheat bread those nice characteristics.

WHEAT FREE?

Yes and no. We do not use wheat in the conventional manner. We sprout it! Wheat and sprouted wheat are two completely different foods, and that is why hundreds of wheat hypersensitive people are enjoying bread once again! Sprouting the grain turns it from an acid to an alkaline base or more digestible food, and a powerhouse of enzymes and nutrients are released by the malting or sprouting process. We recommend that you first consult with your health professional.

If only it were so easy, alkalinize your diet and gluten problems are gone!

GLUTEN

Gluten, the sticky to digest wheat protein, breaks down during germination. This may be why hundreds of wheat-sensitive customers are enjoying our breads. See Alive Magazine Feb/March '98 issue for an article entitled "Sprout Route"

One article in the past 8 years? One whole article?

Before discovering my gluten issues, I made a naturally leavened sprouted rye bread that was unbelievably good. Sigh.

On the website you posted they said they add back 1% (% of what I do not know) of wheat gluten to get the consistency of the bread. This 1% does not appear to be sprouted, which still would not make it okay.

Pretty misleading and crummy that they would make such a big deal about sprouted grains eradicating natural gluten content in the grains and then add it back in each recipe anyway (look at the ingredients of their products). That's a dirty trick on top of being completely wrong.

Stephanie

Grrrr, there really should be a law against that sort of misinformation! Mind you, I wish it were true... used to love sprouted wheat bread.

Leah

Pretty misleading and crummy that they would make such a big deal about sprouted grains eradicating natural gluten content in the grains and then add it back in each recipe anyway (look at the ingredients of their products). That's a dirty trick on top of being completely wrong.

Stephanie

I am so in agreement with this skbird. It is so deceptive and quite a tease might I add. Why bend over backwards trying to convince the public how the process eliminates Gluten if they are going to reintroduce it anyway? It's like kid's breakfast cereals that the process has destroyed the vitamins so they spray it back on anyway. :P

I SO hankered for this concept (sprouted=gluten-free) to be true! I was raised hippie-ish and cruncy granola-ish, I used to knead & bake my own breads while dreaming of an Earth Mama lifestyle.

What a fly in the ointment Celiac disease turned out to be.

Now I do bake in my machine often from recipes often from mix (the latter not truly qualifying as homemade in MY crunchy definition)

But I do truly yearn for healthy bread.... NOT just bread that is healthy for me because it doesn't make me ill!

I am tired of all the white starchy flours...and missing whole grains and sprouted grains. All the "whole (gluten-free) Grain" substitutes in the world never seem

"whole grain" enough for me! :(

Love & Light,

Tee