16 replies to this topic

#1 wozzy

wozzy

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 01:09 PM

I've been having some GI issues lately, so I've been extremely careful about everything I eat. No dairy or gluten but I still wasn't feeling right. I'd still get really bloated, experience throbbing pains in my intestines and frequent stomach aches (which is rare for me) and bad, almost constant gas.

At first I thought it was soy or caffiene of some form. Then I started to realize that I only get that way after I drink Diet Coke or Barqs Root Beer. I cut out those products for about a week and I felt so much better. I know it's not soy or caffiene because I've been drinking soy chai lattes like crazy. I added some dairy back and I haven't been reacting to that either.

Is it abnormal to have such a reaction to carbonation, or perhaps something else that's in Coke products? I don't think I used to have this problem.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Ursa Major

Ursa Major

My grandson Eli, 12 months

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 02:32 PM

I believe that carbonation could be a problem, especially if your intestines are still in the healing process. I wasn't able to tolerate anything carbonated for months, and can once in a while have some now without too much discomfort.
I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#3 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 02:35 PM

I've never really done well with carbonation if it was straight soda. If I order it with a lot of ice, then I don't seem to have as much trouble. I only have it about once a week though, if at all.
gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

#4 queenofhearts

queenofhearts

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 02:44 PM

I've definitely heard that carbonation can be a problem. I don't think it is dangerous in the way gluten is, more just temporarily irritating/bloating. But that's certainly no fun & it's great that you've discovered the problem!

Oh, & many flavored sodas can be highly acidic, so that might be an issue, or the corn syrup, or the sweetener in diet drinks. But even unflavored seltzer can bother some folks.

Leah
The Queen of Hearts,
She made some tarts
All on a summer's day.
The Knave of Hearts,
He stole the tarts
And took them clean away.

Diagnosed at age 49 by biopsy 31 May 2006

Learning how to bake those tarts gluten-free!

#5 marciab

marciab

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 03:35 PM

I can't drink carbonated sodas or mineral water either. It feels like the bubbles multiply when they get into my stomach. :(

I hope someone can explain this.
Jan 1990 - Dx CFS/ME/FM (URI's, Ataxia, myoclonus, orthostatic hypotension, insomnia, brain fog, swollen lymph nodes, sore throat... ) Completely Disabled (housebound and bedridden at times)

2004 - Digestive pain all the time.

May 2004 - Hiatal hernia, erosive gastritis, gastroparesis (endoscopy)
August 2004 - Colon polyps, diverticulitus, internal hemorrhoids (colonoscopy)

No relief from Nexium, Prilosec, Protonix, Zelnorm, Miralax, Imodium, Lomotil ...
July 2005 - GP recommended WFDFSFEFCF + vegan (Also, anything that hurts free)
Immediately stopped needing naps and digestive pain reduced.

Sept 2005 - GFDFCFSFEF + chemical free - Immediately stopped feeling jittery / buzzing and digestive issues were much better.

June 2006 - Dx B12 and iron deficient. Started B12 injections and using cast iron pan.

August 2006 - MYOCLONUS GONE. (off Klonopin)
September 2006 - ATAXIA, INSOMNIA and Feeling like the floor was moving under my feet gone.

June 19, 2007 - Positive DQ2, Dx Celiac

October 2007 - Sleeping like a baby, waking up with energy, but still having fatigue/stamina issues

Nov 2007 - Started Paleo diet for chronic hypoglycemia

April 2008 - GTT normal. I'm no longer hypoglycemic. Started Low oxalate diet for kidney stones.

May 1, 2008 - Began salt loading for OI/NMH - noticed immediately muscle weakness was gone. I was sodium deficient but my labs don't reflect it. Still working on OI and PEM.

#6 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 04:24 PM

I can't drink carbonated sodas or mineral water either. It feels like the bubbles multiply when they get into my stomach. :(

Yea, that's what it feels like! Ice seems to water it down and eliminate that effect for me. It's been over 20 years since I took chemistry in college, but I remember that to keep a gas dissolved in a liquid you kept it cold, which is why soda goes flat outside the refrigerator. So, my guess is that as it gets warmed up in your stomach, the gas is released. Seems like that makes sense, but who knows, tonight I have brain fog.

Chelsea's hubby might be able to tell us why!
gluten-free 12/05

#7 Kaycee

Kaycee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 09:54 PM

Have you thought that it might be the artificial sweetener in the diet coke?
From what I gather it can be pretty nasty and causes diahrhea.
For that reason I will never ever drink another diet drink.

Cathy

#8 gfp

gfp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 01:18 AM

Naturally carbonated water contains anti-acids but when you force carbonation using CO2 under pressure you make an acid.

Hence natually sparkling water is a natural antacid whereas cabonated water is the inverse.
Also the bubbles are different .... if its forced the bubbles are kept in under pressure and when they come out they boil out in very small bubbles whereas a naturally carbonated water has bigger bubbles ....

You can see this for yourself really easily with a forced carbonated water and naturally in the same type of glass. The bubbles are smaller and more vigerous in the forced carbonation.
Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. (JC, De Bello Gallico Liber III/XVIII)

#9 wozzy

wozzy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 05:26 AM

Have you thought that it might be the artificial sweetener in the diet coke?
From what I gather it can be pretty nasty and causes diahrhea.
For that reason I will never ever drink another diet drink.

Cathy

I thought that, but I got it from the regular root beer too...and from a different brand of root beer I had.

#10 zip2play

zip2play

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 05:29 AM

I don't think I could live without my Diet Pepsi! :( ;)

#11 marciab

marciab

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 06:22 AM

Naturally carbonated water contains anti-acids but when you force carbonation using CO2 under pressure you make an acid.

Hence natually sparkling water is a natural antacid whereas cabonated water is the inverse.
Also the bubbles are different .... if its forced the bubbles are kept in under pressure and when they come out they boil out in very small bubbles whereas a naturally carbonated water has bigger bubbles ....

You can see this for yourself really easily with a forced carbonated water and naturally in the same type of glass. The bubbles are smaller and more vigerous in the forced carbonation.

So does this mean that my stomach has too much acid in it ? And is there anything I can add to a carbonated drink to get rid of the bubbles so I could drink it ? I used to be able to stir the bubbles out and be ok, but not anymore.

For some reason I could handle the soda flavored glucose drink when I had my glucose tolerance test.
I don't know what the difference is, but I didn't have any trouble at all with it. In fact, the nurse said that she had never seen anyone enjoy it as much as me. :lol: I'd buy it, if I could find it. :D

I was thinking this meant I could handle a regular soda, not diet, if I could just get the bubbles out.

Marcia
Jan 1990 - Dx CFS/ME/FM (URI's, Ataxia, myoclonus, orthostatic hypotension, insomnia, brain fog, swollen lymph nodes, sore throat... ) Completely Disabled (housebound and bedridden at times)

No relief from Nexium, Prilosec, Protonix, Zelnorm, Miralax, Imodium, Lomotil ...

Sept 2005 - GFDFCFSFEF + chemical free - Immediately stopped feeling jittery / buzzing and digestive issues were much better.

June 2006 - Dx B12 and iron deficient. Started B12 injections and using cast iron pan.

September 2006 - ATAXIA, INSOMNIA and Feeling like the floor was moving under my feet gone.

October 2007 - Sleeping like a baby, waking up with energy, but still having fatigue/stamina issues

April 2008 - GTT normal. I'm no longer hypoglycemic. Started Low oxalate diet for kidney stones.

May 1, 2008 - Began salt loading for OI/NMH - noticed immediately muscle weakness was gone. I was sodium deficient but my labs don't reflect it. Still working on OI and PEM.

#12 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 06:26 AM

I knew a kid years ago who put salt in his soda to eliminate the bubbles.
gluten-free 12/05

#13 gfp

gfp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 06:37 AM

So does this mean that my stomach has too much acid in it ? And is there anything I can add to a carbonated drink to get rid of the bubbles so I could drink it ? I used to be able to stir the bubbles out and be ok, but not anymore.

For some reason I could handle the soda flavored glucose drink when I had my glucose tolerance test.
I don't know what the difference is, but I didn't have any trouble at all with it. In fact, the nurse said that she had never seen anyone enjoy it as much as me. :lol: I'd buy it, if I could find it. :D

I was thinking this meant I could handle a regular soda, not diet, if I could just get the bubbles out.

Marcia

Yes and No ....

You could add a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda which would nullify the acid but in the short term create more bubbles and if added to a can would certainly overflow it and it would taste a bit weird and if you drank a lot elevate your sodium and blood pressure. Same adding regular salt.

better would be one of the rehydration things like the glucose drink.
I recently found them in Italy when I got dehydrated walking 30 miles a day in 100+ and I think they taste good... then our bodies often idenitify what's good for it, they are potasium and Magnesium salts and effervese in water. you could easily add to an orange drink or better still make your own fizzy orange/lemon with fresh juice :D

This is the same stuff added to soluble asprin to buffer the acid.

You could try a two stager with 2 packets (the ones I had said 2 packs a day as a suppliment) add half of one and it will take out the bubbles because they will nucleate round the natural ones then add the rest after to add back some natural fizz! I think you might need to experiment with taste!
Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. (JC, De Bello Gallico Liber III/XVIII)

#14 marciab

marciab

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 08:18 AM

You're kidding. :) I can actually buy that glucose drink they gave me for my GTT . :) And it would be good for me :) :)

Tell me more .... please :rolleyes:

#15 gfp

gfp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 09:30 AM

You're kidding. :) I can actually buy that glucose drink they gave me for my GTT . :) And it would be good for me :) :)

Tell me more .... please :rolleyes:

I'm guessing its just a salt and glucose mix, commonly used for rehydrating after D!

I've a few left over.... if you have an Italian deli they actually sell some stuff in a jar flavored lemon ..(brain fog atm so words escpaing me, typing in English is a challenge cos my girlfried is watching TV in French and I find it hard to think in one lang and listen to another when glutened) I really like it (as I say I think our body often knows best) .. its sold as a heartburn remedy for over eating but very common in trattori.
The stuff I got was just from a pharmacy, its was 100+ and We had walked all round most of Rome and I noticed my sweat had no salts and accompanying headache. I just asked for salt for dehydration and when I read the packet it said it could be used as a daily suppliment ....obviously different brand for you but you can buy similar dyorlite etc.

Another thing you can try is the soluble vit C ... same principle the bicarbonates are there for a buffer against the acid and you can usually find orange or lemon flavors .. if you replace the soda your getting vit C and a drink!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: