This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

New Here!

Chrisser

Chrisser Explorer

Hi everyone, just joined the site but have been lurking around for a few days trying to get as much info as possible. I was just diagnosed as gluten-intolerant last Friday and immediately went gluten-free. It's been a VERY difficult first few days. I had low blood sugar problems way before I went gluten-free, and it's been more difficult the last few days regulating my blood sugar. I had never in my life eaten wheat bread until a few weeks ago because I knew it was healthier and would help with the blood sugar, but then that's when I started getting sick. I have had digestive issues since a child, had my first GI workup when I was about 7, but it was chalked up to IBS and having the "family stomach." Well now it just might be a family gluten problem.

Anyway, I've found some good information so far. It's far easier to read posts than read labels. Right now my biggest problem is just coming up with variation in my diet and looking for different flavoring. I'm already so sick of chicken. I also feel the sickest at night...after dinner I usually feel really sick to my stomach and get leg pain. I also haven't had much of an appetite, have gotten periods of hot flashes, shakes, clamminess, etc. On Friday my doctor just told me to go gluten free. He didn't inform me of this 2-week detox period that your body goes through when eliminating foods from your diet, nor did he inform me that he wants to see me again around the 2-week mark. I only found all this out when I called in this morning when I though I was gonna die from the physical symptoms.

Anyhoo, enough rambling. I look forward to learning more from all of you. I probably won't post very much since I'm still in the beginning learning stages (except from questions, of course).

Oh, what do you all eat for breakfast?? I don't like eggs, and I've always been a breakfast food breakfast person. I need a good balance of protein and fiber to help keep my blood sugar balanced out throughout the rest of the day.

Thanks! B)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast

Welcome!

For breakfast you can eat things not traditionally meant for breakfast if you don't like eggs. Like chicken (or another meat that you're not sick of) and veggies, leftovers from the night before, etc. Or you can eat something like a Lara Bar or Nectar Bar with some nut butter on it.

I'm sure you've figured out by now that white bread is also made from wheat flour, it just doesn't have the whole grain in it. Or maybe you meant that you didn't eat bread at all and added it to your diet because of it's health benefits ...

You'll learn a lot here. You'll feel better as time goes on. The first couple weeks are tough.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Hi everyone, just joined the site but have been lurking around for a few days trying to get as much info as possible. I was just diagnosed as gluten-intolerant last Friday and immediately went gluten-free. It's been a VERY difficult first few days. I had low blood sugar problems way before I went gluten-free, and it's been more difficult the last few days regulating my blood sugar. I had never in my life eaten wheat bread until a few weeks ago because I knew it was healthier and would help with the blood sugar, but then that's when I started getting sick. I have had digestive issues since a child, had my first GI workup when I was about 7, but it was chalked up to IBS and having the "family stomach." Well now it just might be a family gluten problem.

Anyway, I've found some good information so far. It's far easier to read posts than read labels. Right now my biggest problem is just coming up with variation in my diet and looking for different flavoring. I'm already so sick of chicken. I also feel the sickest at night...after dinner I usually feel really sick to my stomach and get leg pain. I also haven't had much of an appetite, have gotten periods of hot flashes, shakes, clamminess, etc. On Friday my doctor just told me to go gluten free. He didn't inform me of this 2-week detox period that your body goes through when eliminating foods from your diet, nor did he inform me that he wants to see me again around the 2-week mark. I only found all this out when I called in this morning when I though I was gonna die from the physical symptoms.

Anyhoo, enough rambling. I look forward to learning more from all of you. I probably won't post very much since I'm still in the beginning learning stages (except from questions, of course).

Oh, what do you all eat for breakfast?? I don't like eggs, and I've always been a breakfast food breakfast person. I need a good balance of protein and fiber to help keep my blood sugar balanced out throughout the rest of the day.

Thanks! B)

I eat either Yoplait yogurt on top of Ener-G Granola or when in a hurry will have Carnation Instant Breakfast (the powder not the ready made and none of the Malt flavor) and put a handful of a couple different kinds of nuts and some raisens in a bag and run. I have diabetes from not being diagosed until 15 years after the worst symptoms began and haven't had too hard of a time keeping it under control. I had hypoglycemia for years before that. The hardest part for me is remembering to eat. <_< Ask any questions you need to and welcome to the boards. Make sure everything you use is gluten free even if you don't eat it. The worst will be over soon for you I hope.

maggee Newbie

Welcome, I'm new here as well and have gotten more info here about celiac / gluten free foods than anywhere else.

For breakfast we like to focus on fresh fruit (you may have to be careful about amt with blood sugar issues). If you are ok with nuts spread some nut butter on a piece of fruit or rice cakes / gluten-free crakers. In the colder months we like millet or quinoa (mix with fresh or frozen fruit and add a little maple syrup or agave necter).

I hope this helps.

Archived