This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Just Wondering

dhramos2003

dhramos2003 Rookie

i was just wondering is celiac something you have to be born with because when i was in elementery school i was in and out of hospitals and had thousands of tests done because i was so sickand then it whent away for along time until over a year ago when i started getting sick again and lossing major amounts of weight and still never found out until i was soooo sick i was in the hospital for a week all delerious and they still had no idea what was wrong so thay kept giving me toast and stuff (my family told me) and that the only one that ever even suspected it was an ER nurse who looked up info and gave it all to my husband so i guess what i am trying to find out is is this what made me sick my hole life or is it just a weird coincedence??

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

Write with some of your symptoms, and perhaps we can suggest Celiac or eliminate it.

dhramos2003 Rookie

i was throwing up every day and i ate the normale breakfast foods like poptarts bagels cereal etc. i dont really remember it was like 10 years ago i just remember them finally not sending me home any more because i was littleraly throwing up everyday and then when i would get home i would be fine untile eating again usualy ate soup though it was weird

Ursa Major Collaborator

Do you have an official diagnosis of celiac disease now, or are you still searching for the answers? Yes, celiac disease is genetic, and if your problem is celiac disease, then your symptoms as a child are definitely related as well. I've had symptoms of celiac disease all my life, but no doctor ever clued in in their ignorance, I had to figure it out myself last year, at the age of 52.

kbtoyssni Contributor

Celiac is genetic so yes, you'd have to be born with the gene. You don't necessarily develop celiac at birth, though. For some people it takes some type of trauma for the celiac to develop. For me it was the flu, which I suspect overloaded my immune system and caused the celiac to take over. I'd had mild symptoms for years, but it took the flu to turn it into full-blown celiac. There are people who have the disease from birth, though. It sounds like you might be one of them.

dhramos2003 Rookie

yes i have actually been diagnosed wit celiacs the worse symptoms were the day of my wedding and i have a lot of EMTs at my wedding they were about to make me call it off and rush me to the hospital at first they had all thought it was nerves but i have broken my hand before and still used it for 2 weeeks until my parents decided i needed to go to the hospital and never cried about that and i was crying about the pain i was in so they decided it was not nerves any more then a month later i wound up in the hospital and got diagnosed after that

loraleena Contributor

it sounds very possible. You can have celiac, and then have it go into remission during the teen and young adult years.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

aggieceliac Newbie

I find it very interesting about celiac going into remission during the teen and young adult years. I had been sick since I was a baby. I had trouble growing and gaining weight so when I was in the fourth grade my doctor put me on steroids. I unfortunately remember it so well because it made me kind of bloated and the kids at school all thought I looked like a chipmunk. But after that I seemed to be fine during middle school and high school. After my first year of college, during which I had few complications from what I can remember just always tired and that Feb my front tooth chipped out of no where, I was diagnosed with Celiac. And about the genetics. I'm still wondering who I got it from because neither of my parents have been diagnosed. I guess genes can skip a generation or two.

dhramos2003 Rookie

well thats the weird thing know one in my family has ever heard of it and that 4 generations worth of people the only ones that have heard of it live in irland and they only know if it cause they say its pretty common there but once agian no one in my family has ever been diagnosed with it or heard of any one in our family be diagnosed with it

Archived