arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Is There Any Shredded Cheese That Is Gf?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 r_newsome

r_newsome

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 January 2004 - 09:55 AM

I thought that most cheeses were gluten-free, with the exception of Blue Cheese. My daughter had a reaction to shredded cheese with taco seasoning in it. Exactly what ingredient in the cheese contains gluten? Also, are all American, Cheddar(and shredded), and Mozerella cheeses gluten-free? Thanks for your help. (Any cheese information appreciated).

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Connie R-E

Connie R-E

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 17 January 2004 - 10:03 AM

I've heard that some shredded cheeses are coated with flour to prevent them from sticking together!!! :( I wish they would list that on the package!

Be carefull!!

Connie

#3 kejohe

kejohe

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 17 January 2004 - 11:16 PM

I was also told to stay away from all pre-shredded cheeses because they are tossed in flour to prevent tham from sticking together. I just buy blocks and shred my own, and my celiac disease baby has no problems. Also, the seasongs could be an issue too, I tend to stay away from any pre-seasoned meats, cheeses and spice mixes because they use wheat flour as an anti-caking ingredient and for some dumb reason they are not required to put it on the label.

#4 kerri124

kerri124

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 11:53 AM

I am looking for gluten-free mozzarella and ricotta cheese. Anyone know of any brands? Thanks!

#5 flagbabyds

flagbabyds

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 12:35 PM

I wouldn't be worried about the flour coating I think she probably got sick from the taco seasoning. Anythink with seasoning in it is bad because most seasonings have HVP in them which is horrible for celiacs Kraft plainly lists if there is any gluten in their foods.
Molly

#6 Guest_gillian502_*

Guest_gillian502_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2004 - 10:59 AM

I've been using Kraft shredded mozzerella on my gluten-free pizzas. Is this a bad idea? They list only Cellulose powder as an anti-caking agent on the package, but I've never known if that was ok.

#7 hjkmatthews

hjkmatthews

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 03:28 PM

To anyone who can help,

My daughter was dx the first week of February of 2004, and although we are adjusting okay, I still have so many questions. I could literally sit here and read every single post for hours if I had the time. She is only two, and I am just trying to figure out everything to make it all as easy as possible for her. I have issue in particular, and that is if there is any already shredded cheese on the market that is known to be Gluten Free. What is in the KRAFT shredded cheddar that makes it contain gluten? Please let me know if yall know anything about this! Thanks a bunch!

Heather
mother of KYLIE
gluten-free for 6 months

#8 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,533 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 09:07 AM

There's no gluten in Kraft shredded cheese.

There have always been warnings that some manufacturers might use flour to keep the cheese from sticking, but I have yet to find one that does so. I have found a couple of shredded Mexican style cheeses with gluten, but it's not because they use flour to avoid sticking.

richard

#9 anglepoise

anglepoise

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 10:33 AM

I called the 800 number for Sargento cheese just now & spoke with an informed woman who said that all their cheeses, shredded or otherwise, are gluten-free with the exception of bleu cheese & Ricotta (which is made with vinegar). I then proceeded to call Kraft & was told that Kraft & Nabisco they have a strict labelling policy when it comes to any ingredients that may contain gluten. They said they would list wheat, rye, barley, oats, kamlut, spelt, farina or mir, but that one day soon, all their packages will indicate "gluten free" specifically. That'll be nice!

Angel

#10 Guest_~wAvE WeT sAnD~_*

Guest_~wAvE WeT sAnD~_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2004 - 10:02 PM

Feta cheese is gluten-free--any Blue veined cheese (Blue Cheese, Gorgonzola Cheese) contains Gluten. I think Parmesan (Kraft has a shredded Parm) is okay, and Locatelli (pronounced LOU-KIT-TELL) is gluten-free for sure. I'm Italian--I know me some cheese. ;) Those are the ones I'm sure and not so sure about...hope that helps!

#11 crc0622

crc0622

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 11:49 AM

I bought Kraft shredded cheeses this past weekend for my first gluten-free pizza - they are gluten-free - the stuff on them for anti-sticking is potato starch, not flour. She probably got sick from the taco seasoning. Seasoning blends are always suspicious, esp taco for some reason.

I am a huge Penzey's Spices fan and the only products they sell which are NOT gluten-free are taco seasoning, anything with cheese in it (salad dressing mixes) and their soup bases.

#12 stef_the_kicking_cuty

stef_the_kicking_cuty

Stef and Luke

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 12:50 PM

Hi there,

i bought Shredded Mozzarella Style cheese last week. And they say No Gluten, MSG, Cholesterol on the bag. The brand was Lisanatti and they have "Lisanatti Premium Soy Sation" on the bag. It tastes really good. I mean i like it. I got it out of our local health shop.

Greetings, Stef B)
Stef

Next goals:
Results for 2011:
1x PA State Champ (I defended my title in pointfighting) and also again Grand Champion in pointfighting
August 20-27: Karate and Kickboxing World Championships in Germany (my homecountry)
gluten-free since 07/21/2004
Shermans Dale, PA

#13 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 01:52 PM

To top off my Chebe pizza I use Kraft cheese--they have a shredded mozzarella that is fine (oops, Richard mentioned that already). I also use some parmsean (sp.) cheese (but that wasn't some shredded kind so I guess that doesn't really matter for this discussion).

-celiac3270

P.S. So, Gillian502 -- it's not a bad idea at all -- it's gluten-free

#14 Forty320

Forty320

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 05:49 PM

Just a little personal experience: Since I worked in a cheese factory, I refuse to eat any pre-shredded cheese. So much gross stuff gets in there, it's nausiating. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if a whole loaf of whole wheat bread was accidently dropped on the belt at one time, and was not noticed. They do sterility tests frequently, but they very clearly don't catch everything. I was quite disgusted, and this was before I even heard of celiac disease.

I won't be offended if someone who works in a cheese factory now rebuts with new information saying they run a clean place these days, because this was probably about four years ago, and I'm old enough to take correction.

- Dan

:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: