Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Is There Any Shredded Cheese That Is Gf?

14 posts in this topic

I thought that most cheeses were gluten-free, with the exception of Blue Cheese. My daughter had a reaction to shredded cheese with taco seasoning in it. Exactly what ingredient in the cheese contains gluten? Also, are all American, Cheddar(and shredded), and Mozerella cheeses gluten-free? Thanks for your help. (Any cheese information appreciated).

Ads by Google:

I've heard that some shredded cheeses are coated with flour to prevent them from sticking together!!! :( I wish they would list that on the package!

Be carefull!!

Connie

I was also told to stay away from all pre-shredded cheeses because they are tossed in flour to prevent tham from sticking together. I just buy blocks and shred my own, and my celiac disease baby has no problems. Also, the seasongs could be an issue too, I tend to stay away from any pre-seasoned meats, cheeses and spice mixes because they use wheat flour as an anti-caking ingredient and for some dumb reason they are not required to put it on the label.

I am looking for gluten-free mozzarella and ricotta cheese. Anyone know of any brands? Thanks!

I wouldn't be worried about the flour coating I think she probably got sick from the taco seasoning. Anythink with seasoning in it is bad because most seasonings have HVP in them which is horrible for celiacs Kraft plainly lists if there is any gluten in their foods.

I've been using Kraft shredded mozzerella on my gluten-free pizzas. Is this a bad idea? They list only Cellulose powder as an anti-caking agent on the package, but I've never known if that was ok.

To anyone who can help,

My daughter was dx the first week of February of 2004, and although we are adjusting okay, I still have so many questions. I could literally sit here and read every single post for hours if I had the time. She is only two, and I am just trying to figure out everything to make it all as easy as possible for her. I have issue in particular, and that is if there is any already shredded cheese on the market that is known to be Gluten Free. What is in the KRAFT shredded cheddar that makes it contain gluten? Please let me know if yall know anything about this! Thanks a bunch!

Heather

mother of KYLIE

gluten-free for 6 months

There's no gluten in Kraft shredded cheese.

There have always been warnings that some manufacturers might use flour to keep the cheese from sticking, but I have yet to find one that does so. I have found a couple of shredded Mexican style cheeses with gluten, but it's not because they use flour to avoid sticking.

richard

I called the 800 number for Sargento cheese just now & spoke with an informed woman who said that all their cheeses, shredded or otherwise, are gluten-free with the exception of bleu cheese & Ricotta (which is made with vinegar). I then proceeded to call Kraft & was told that Kraft & Nabisco they have a strict labelling policy when it comes to any ingredients that may contain gluten. They said they would list wheat, rye, barley, oats, kamlut, spelt, farina or mir, but that one day soon, all their packages will indicate "gluten free" specifically. That'll be nice!

Angel

Feta cheese is gluten-free--any Blue veined cheese (Blue Cheese, Gorgonzola Cheese) contains Gluten. I think Parmesan (Kraft has a shredded Parm) is okay, and Locatelli (pronounced LOU-KIT-TELL) is gluten-free for sure. I'm Italian--I know me some cheese. ;) Those are the ones I'm sure and not so sure about...hope that helps!

I bought Kraft shredded cheeses this past weekend for my first gluten-free pizza - they are gluten-free - the stuff on them for anti-sticking is potato starch, not flour. She probably got sick from the taco seasoning. Seasoning blends are always suspicious, esp taco for some reason.

I am a huge Penzey's Spices fan and the only products they sell which are NOT gluten-free are taco seasoning, anything with cheese in it (salad dressing mixes) and their soup bases.

Hi there,

i bought Shredded Mozzarella Style cheese last week. And they say No Gluten, MSG, Cholesterol on the bag. The brand was Lisanatti and they have "Lisanatti Premium Soy Sation" on the bag. It tastes really good. I mean i like it. I got it out of our local health shop.

Greetings, Stef B)

To top off my Chebe pizza I use Kraft cheese--they have a shredded mozzarella that is fine (oops, Richard mentioned that already). I also use some parmsean (sp.) cheese (but that wasn't some shredded kind so I guess that doesn't really matter for this discussion).

-celiac3270

P.S. So, Gillian502 -- it's not a bad idea at all -- it's gluten-free

Just a little personal experience: Since I worked in a cheese factory, I refuse to eat any pre-shredded cheese. So much gross stuff gets in there, it's nausiating. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if a whole loaf of whole wheat bread was accidently dropped on the belt at one time, and was not noticed. They do sterility tests frequently, but they very clearly don't catch everything. I was quite disgusted, and this was before I even heard of celiac disease.

I won't be offended if someone who works in a cheese factory now rebuts with new information saying they run a clean place these days, because this was probably about four years ago, and I'm old enough to take correction.

- Dan

:)