This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Does Drinking Red Wine Or Champagne Give You A Head Ache?

mle-ii

Does drinking Red Wine or Champagne give you a head ache?  

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

mle-ii Explorer

Does drinking Red Wine or Champagne cause sneezing, flush, headache, diarrhea, skin itch, or shortness of breath?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

swittenauer Enthusiast

Unless I drink too much red wine as with anything else I would get a headache.

mle-ii Explorer
Unless I drink too much red wine as with anything else I would get a headache.

Good point, I'll qualify the question asking if drinking a glass or two of wine/champagne.

Kaycee Collaborator

Yes I do feel a bit flushed with drinking wine, red or white, and some spirits.

Some one says it is because it increases the blood pressure. But I have been like this since I began drinking, and there is nothing wrong with my blood pressure.

I think it is because alcohol seems to have a warming effect, by opening up the pores in your face that it makes you feel warm and flushed. I might be wrong, and yes it does not feel or look nice thinking I have a red face, it seems way worse when I am tired.

Cathy

Forgot to add, that warm feeling would happen just after one glass of wine.

Cathy

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

In the morning -- Yes,

During -- I sometimes get flush drinking wine, but I chalk that up to "the experience"

Almost all of my friends and family have headaches from red wine the next day...

Guest BERNESES

I don't drink red wine because I like my beverages cold, champagne can give me a headache, but god champagne is worth it! :P

Daxin Explorer

I was told that drinking lower end wine/chamapgne can caus eheadaches as a reaction to the tannins in the grapes etc.

However, I do not have this problem.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Felidae Enthusiast

I don't get a headache from red wine or champagne. I sometimes get one from white wine. However, I don't normally drink white wine, probably for that reason.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Some wines contain casein, the milk protein. I have reacted to red wine before because of casein.

Shiba Newbie
I don't get a headache from red wine or champagne. I sometimes get one from white wine. However, I don't normally drink white wine, probably for that reason.

Red wine affects me, but I was told it is the histamines in it. Sometimes wine and champers do it to me too. I've nerver had diarrhoea from it tho.

I have a solution that works for me - If I am going out and know I'll be drinking wines, I take an antihistamine - works brilliantly. Sadly, it does not help prevent hangovers if you overconsume :)

eleep Enthusiast

Champagne makes me dizzy, but I tend to overdo it when it's decent stuff. Decent reds don't give me a headache.

eleep

BBadgero Newbie

I agree - partake too much and the next day get the results. During the drinking though, after the first glass of a nice red (white is too often aged in Oak and I just don't prefer Oak flavor in my wine) I sometimes feel the flush feeling (almost like an instant effect), but I always thought that was due to cutting out all other alcohol (I miss ice cold beer, and 7&7's....). Sulfites are very prevalent in reds.....

As far as the lower end - I would recommend almost anything by Rosemount Estates.... I have never had symptoms while enjoying a glass of theirs....

frenchiemama Collaborator

Yes, and it makes me barf (and I'm talking maybe 1-2 glasses, so it's not like I get drunk). I can drink anything else with no problems, but wine just doesn't agree with me at all.

• 2 weeks later...
au natural Newbie

HEY GUYS LEST WE NOT FORGET GRAPES ALL GRAPES ARE DUSTED ,TO CONTROL MILDEW

WITH SULFER!!!!! Sulfer is a well known allergen. It makes no difference how much you wash grapes with soap or water or any type of produce wash the sulfer is still there in an amount that can cause an reaction.

I have been unable to use any wine in cooking because of an allergic reaction. This also goes fo any grape related fruit drink!!! Watch your kids! Reactions can be anything. dizziness shortness of breath, hives itchy skin diarrhea etc... I can only eat those grapes that I or my family members grow since we dont use sulfur. There is hope .... I have found good results using a soak/ water bath of 50/50 white vinegar and water to clean any store bought grapes. Keep soaking than rinse till the water bath comes clean..

Mayflowers Contributor

I finally gave up "trying" to drink wine last month. At first I would get D the next day every time I drank a glass. Then that stopped and I thought it was just the brand. duh. I read that it's good for the heart so I would have a glass a 1-3 times a week for my blood. I have a history of DVT. It was like Russian roulette! Sometims it wouldn't bother me and sometimes I'd get a hurendous migraine that lasted 2 days, the next day after drinking it. I tried changing brands and it would be ok for awhile then, the migraines would start. I finally gave up and stopped drinking it. However, port, especially Sandman's didn't bother me. Why would that be? I believe it's imported from Spain.

:huh:

clover Rookie
Some wines contain casein, the milk protein. I have reacted to red wine before because of casein.

WHAT? How do you know if it has casein in it?? News to me!

laurelfla Enthusiast

i get a headache only from red wines, usually when i drink it but sometimes not until the next day. my dad said he heard that serious wine tasters take antihistamines before going out. ;)

Archived