30 replies to this topic

#16 NancyKay

NancyKay

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 08:31 AM

The two I know of are Bare Escentuals (but beware: only the regular mascara is gluten-free)

I've been using Bare Escentuals and it's the first make-up I can actually use without problems, especially mascara. Mascara, in the past, has itched, made me feel foggy, given me puffy eyes.... and I can't wait to wash my face and get it all off. I love their mascara. But now I'm confused. What is their regular mascara and what other kind do they have? I want to be sure that I get the right thing next time.

Here is the email I received back from Bare Escentuals:

Dear Nancy,

Thank you for contacting Bare Escentuals. All bareMinerals products
are gluten free. This includes bareMinerals foundation, all over face
colors, blushes, eye shadows, glimmers, glimpses, liner shadows, brow
minerals and body minerals. Many of our i.d. Bare Escentuals products
are also gluten free, including lip sticks, lip liners, lip glosses,
quicksticks, and mascara.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to call us at the
number below.

B.E. Beautiful,
Mayra
Customer Contact Representative
Bare Escentuals
www.bareescentuals.com

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 jmengert

jmengert

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 08:57 AM

Oh, gosh, I can't remember the exact name, but I think it's the Big Tease Mascara. It clearly had wheat listed in the ingredients (twice, I believe). That's the only make-up product of theirs I've seen with wheat, but now I check their labels much more carefully, and frankly, I recently ordered make-up from NARS since they have no products whatsoever with gluten. I'm just a wee bit mistrustful of Bare Escentuals now.
*Julie*
Gluten free since December 2004
Soy free since June 2005
Dairy free since July 2006

#18 Crayons574

Crayons574

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 11:37 AM

What about Almay?

I spoke to Almay customer service on the phone yesterday, and I was calling regarding makeup remover pads and eyeliner, and they said they could not guarantee it was gluten free. So...in the trash, just to be safe. <_<
1 Corinthians 6: 19-20, "Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body."

#19 brendygirl

brendygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 04:47 PM

I use Cover Girl pink and green, but there are many formulas, so I READ THE LABEL to make sure it's the kind with shellac and not wheat protein.
I buy it when it's on sale 2 for the price of one.

Gluten Free since November 2005

"If you want breakfast in bed, sleep in the kitchen.." ---Ed Polish

#20 snoopgirl

snoopgirl

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 10:33 PM

I use Lancome Defincils but I've never checked to see if it's gluten free. To be honest I'm not in the habit of eating my mascara, I obviously don't rub my eyes when I have it on otherwise it would smudge, so it's not like I'm touching it. If I do happen to get any on my hands when I'm putting it on I would wash my hands regardless, so I'm not really sure why I would have to worry about my mascara being gluten free.

It's always good to fully understand any condition you have before make smart remarks. I suffer from dry eye syndrome as well and my eyes were constantly running and were red and puffy in the mornings. They started getting very dry and it go so bad I called it "my lizard skin". I thought it was allergies. After I started breaking out in hives I went to the dermo and found out I had dermatitis around my eyes. After reading other DH forums, I realized the Maybelline mascara I was wearing contained gluten (the top selling one with the pink barrel and green top). Bingo! No more issues! It's a new world. I used to look so tired and have circles under my eyes. The change was overnight! Thank you for your gluten-free suggestions!

#21 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 03:56 AM

It's always good to fully understand any condition you have before make smart remarks. I suffer from dry eye syndrome as well and my eyes were constantly running and were red and puffy in the mornings. They started getting very dry and it go so bad I called it "my lizard skin". I thought it was allergies. After I started breaking out in hives I went to the dermo and found out I had dermatitis around my eyes. After reading other DH forums, I realized the Maybelline mascara I was wearing contained gluten (the top selling one with the pink barrel and green top). Bingo! No more issues! It's a new world. I used to look so tired and have circles under my eyes. The change was overnight! Thank you for your gluten-free suggestions!

Please note that you are replying to a very old post and things may have changed since 2006.

I also have dry eyes and use Maybelline Great Lash Mascara without issue. I've worn it for years and never had a problem with it. That said, I guess just because I can use it successfully, you may not be able to.

Please provide a credible source that says Maybelline mascara contains gluten.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#22 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,746 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 04:09 AM

Please note that you are replying to a very old post and things may have changed since 2006.

I also have dry eyes and use Maybelline Great Lash Mascara without issue. I've worn it for years and never had a problem with it. That said, I guess just because I can use it successfully, you may not be able to.

Please provide a credible source that says Maybelline mascara contains gluten.

Same here. That is the only mascara I use too although I don't wear it often. It may be something else that is being reacted to but I don't think it is gluten.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#23 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 05:17 AM

I get red itchy eyes. I always thought it was allergies. Now I'm not so sure. It could be an ingredient in my mascara?
The package from what I've been using is long gone, so I can't read it.
I had a new one in my make-up drawer and found it has tocopherol. That's one of those ingredients that doesn't sound harmful, but it's vitamin E, which they like to add to cosmetics/lotions. It can be sourced from wheat germ oil, or soy oil. Other food grade oils as well. I'm finding I'm reacting badly to soy lately, so I don't think I'll be using the new mascara I have here?
Gotta go shopping!
I don't spend a lot on my cosmetics, due to budget.

I'll look for the pink and green one Sylvia. I was thinking that was Maybelene brand?

#24 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 06:20 AM

I get red itchy eyes. I always thought it was allergies. Now I'm not so sure. It could be an ingredient in my mascara?
The package from what I've been using is long gone, so I can't read it.
I had a new one in my make-up drawer and found it has tocopherol. That's one of those ingredients that doesn't sound harmful, but it's vitamin E, which they like to add to cosmetics/lotions. It can be sourced from wheat germ oil, or soy oil. Other food grade oils as well. I'm finding I'm reacting badly to soy lately, so I don't think I'll be using the new mascara I have here?
Gotta go shopping!
I don't spend a lot on my cosmetics, due to budget.

I'll look for the pink and green one Sylvia. I was thinking that was Maybelene brand?

Bottom line is that we can react to most anything. I think cosmetics are the most difficult to decipher.

Maybelline Great Lash is in a pink/green tube and places like Wally World have whole sections of Maybelline products. I've been using the kind that says BIG on the tube...has a different kind of brush. I need all the help I can get with my pale blond eyelashes. :lol:
Sylvia

#25 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 07:43 AM

Ditto from me! I also use Maybelline Great Lash when I "dress up" :lol: . I am lucky to have long eyelashes but I suffered from blepharitis before DX. Sore, dry, swollen &, itchy eyes and now, no problem.

My eyes are fine and I use this mascara.

I sincerely doubt it's any gluten you may be reacting to.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#26 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,483 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 12:17 PM

I have used Maybelline Great Lash for decades. It is the best mascara I have ever used, and it is inexpensive.

BUT!!! They have changed their packaging, and now the old pink and green tube is a dark, vivid pink/fuchia color. It SAYS "same great product", but I have noticed since I started using the new tube a couple of weeks ago that it SMEARS. I look fine when I leave the house in the morning, but a few hours later I have mascara all over the bags :lol: under my eyes. That never used to happen with the old stuff.

Has anyone else tried the new stuff, and does it smear on you?

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#27 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 02:54 PM

I have used Maybelline Great Lash for decades. It is the best mascara I have ever used, and it is inexpensive.

BUT!!! They have changed their packaging, and now the old pink and green tube is a dark, vivid pink/fuchia color. It SAYS "same great product", but I have noticed since I started using the new tube a couple of weeks ago that it SMEARS. I look fine when I leave the house in the morning, but a few hours later I have mascara all over the bags :lol: under my eyes. That never used to happen with the old stuff.

Has anyone else tried the new stuff, and does it smear on you?

Yes, they have recently repackaged their Great Lash and I noticed that on the last one I bought. I have not noticed that it smears and I do like the washable kind, not the waterproof.
Sylvia

#28 Jenny (AZ via TX)

Jenny (AZ via TX)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 03:47 PM

I use Lancome Definicils. I called them about 4 months ago and they said it was gluten free. I've called them several times and they are always very nice. Many of their products are gluten free.
Jenny
(Texas girl in AZ)

Diag: 2/2008
Bloodwork - positive, 2/19/08
Biopsy - positive, 2/26/08
Colonoscopy - clean as a whistle!, 2/27/08

#29 CallieNYC

CallieNYC

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:09 PM

Same here. That is the only mascara I use too although I don't wear it often. It may be something else that is being reacted to but I don't think it is gluten.

Actually it says Wheat Protein in the ingredients list. That was my go-to mascara for years and all of a sudden I started having problems. Such a shame cause I loved it!

In the End, Only Kindness Matters

Gluten Free since 6/20/12

#30 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:24 PM

Actually it says Wheat Protein in the ingredients list. That was my go-to mascara for years and all of a sudden I started having problems. Such a shame cause I loved it!

Hi Callie...can you post the brand and name of mascara you mention here?

This is an old thread, but we should make it clear for those that are reading along or find it during a search regarding mascara.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: