This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Exercise & Losing Weight

Turtle

gfp Enthusiast
I don't think it's productive (or kind) to respond with "...is a mindless thing to say." That kind of language just shuts down dialogue.

I honestly don't think its hepful to state categorically walking is the best way or "Biking doesn't really help with weight loss as you tend to coast more thus not burning any calories."

I was a bit tired at the time and posting before bed so I was perhaps more brief and less diplomatic than I should have been but both statements are both plain wrong and "Biking doesn't really help with weight loss as you tend to coast more thus not burning any calories." shows a complete lack of any thought put into the post.

You can say the same for any exersize from swimming to running to the only one which is effective; apparently walking ....

So sorry if I was a bit short and rude or unkind but honestly that sort of illinformed and not thought-out post doesn't really help anyone.

As Vincent pointed out earlier... most Americans (not necassarily representative on this board) would benefit from 30 mins walking and cutting out junk food. I agree but I don't think that is a healthy regime, its simply the absolute minimum you can do and expect to be halfway active in retirement.

In my experience (and I have done a lot of training and teaching of this) the biggest barrier to most people getting properly fit is they think that they personally can't be fit. I had one particualr job where I had lots of computer tech's, radio operators and accountants (seriously) who had to be brought up to field fitness to work in active war zones. Barring physcial disability, weak hearts etc. there is almost noone cannot be fit to the point of being able to run and finish in a repsectable time a 10k race. Some people have to work harder than others ... but the main barrier is simply people thinking that its unattainable. Yes it takes work.. yes it needs discipline and dedication but the absolute biggest barrier to most people and ironically those who need it the most is simply to realise that it is attainable for them.

Setting a goal of 1 hr walking a day is not a useful goal....

Ditto. I'm not looking for a personal trainer. If I have to go into that much detail and spend that much time doing it, then forget it. I have a life outside of running, walking, and biking. I'm not a professional athlete, just a middle-sged woman trying to shed a few pounds. Please do not belittle what I do.

Then you are missing the point or I'm making it badly. If you have say 1 hr a day spare then its much more productive to use it in a higher calory burning and more stimulating exersize. The real problem with walking as a sole exersize is that it leaves no progression, especially if time is restricted.

You can start off with 1 hr at 3 mph and move up to 1hr at 5mph but then its a dead end if you only have 1 hr.

If you use a step machine/cycle/rowing machine you can increase the resistance and you will progress much further before you hit a dead end on 1 hr. Moreover your body is put into a state whereby it burns calories.

This is not to mention but exersizing doesn't need to stop your social life. Most gyms I know have very active social circles and the trick is to make the gym (or cycling or ....) part of your social life. Dancing is a good exersize and social!

If I have to go into that much detail and spend that much time doing it, then forget it.

You don't need to ... but the rewards are exponential. What I am trying to illustrate is the fact EVERYONE has the potential.... and the last few % of effort give the most dramatic results and allow you to do more things without realising its exersize. For instance when you are unfit 5 flights of stairs is a heck of a challenge... if you spend your 1 hr a day on a step machine then 5 flights of stairs is a breeze. I live on the 3rd floor and rarely use the elevator ... it doesn't really take ANY extra time (its a real old slow elevator) but I get 3 flights of stairs extra exersize without changing anything in my lifestyle.

If you look at the figures for walking you see the calories burned go up rapidly above a theshhold.

When you get fitter then vacuuming can be an exersize.... the difference between pushing it over the carpet and making it into an exersize probably doubles the calories.... if you golf then don't use a caddy or worse still a golf cart ... etc. etc.

I honestly think everyone should spend an hour working out a day even if this is vacuuming or towelling vigerously. Its an absolute minimum to expect to lead an active retirement and it gets harder and harder the closer to retirement you start.

The point is if you do want to both loose weight and get fit and your time is limited then you should try and use it in the most efficient way. This involves some real hard exersize supplimented by making everyday things into exersize.

Please look at this link: Open Original Shared Link

Walking in a park at moderate speed burns 130kCal/hr .. this sounds OK until you compare this to driving in heavy traffic at 120 or

Busily cleaning house, doing laundry, hanging clothes outside on clothesline, going up and down stairs, cleaning refrigerator, picking up clothes (doing a lot of bending over and picking up items) which is the same at 130 kCal/hr!

*Swimming for pleasure, no time limits, no stress. This can only be considered aerobic if it is continuous for 20 - 30 minutes without stopping at your THR (as I said 15 mins is 3 steps forward and 2 back!)

Tennis, Doubles, Square Dancing: 350 per hour

So really you can't say joining a square dancing group isn't social! But its nearly 3x the efficiency of walking.

But the real shocker is Reading, Watching TV, Sitting (some brain activity) 75 per hour is over half of moderate walking..... and this is the real point.

Do you spend an hour doing something double the efficiency of sitting at a desk or watching TV or 5x-6x ? or even 10x

*Bicycycling, (12 - 14 mph) (working at your THR for 20 - 30 minutes without stopping) 530 per hour

*Stairclimbing in a gym, 125 - 140 sets of stairs (10 stairs to a set) (working at your THR for 20 - 30 minutes without stopping) 600 per hour

*Exercising using an Elliptial Rider or Rowing Machine, (working at your THR for 20 - 30 minutes without stopping) 850 per hour

Source: Compiled by Helen Ann, Public Health Educator using various health education resources including Utah State University textbooks

So the real question is if you only have 1 hr to exersize should you spend it doing something which burns the same calories as vigerous housework or something burning 6.5x as many calories AND stimulating your whole metabolism.

This is why casual walking is such a bad way to loose weight if you think its the BEST way. You can actually get the same benefit doing productive household chores and almost as much by doing a crossword or puzzles instead of watching TV.... or standing in line nervously ....

All of these things are GOOD ... but if your aim is to loose weight and get fit then aiming to walk an hour a day as a goal is woefully inadequate. If you go to a gym then run to the gym ... the important part being it elevates your metabolism above the THR before you even start.... and in most cases lets say ita a mile and you can run a mile in a conservative 6-7 (10 mph) mins you only lost 2-3 mins over taking the car .. by all means walk back to cool off or you need another shower but you just doubled the efficiency of the exersize at the gym by pre-elevating your metabolism and lost almost no time doing it.

The point is these figures are just oine set ... but as good as any. It helps like everything else to educate yourself and see how best to use your time....

I'm not looking for a personal trainer. If I have to go into that much detail and spend that much time doing it, then forget it.

So its not so much detail... just look down the list and choose an activity that is both efficent AND enjoyable.

Seriously square dancing sounds pretty efficient for instance. It really doesn't take that much time or detail ....

The whole point I objected to about the post was it advocated 15 mins exersize.... you don't need a personal trainer or books to read about THR.. you can just click this....

Open Original Shared Link

The whole point is you need to do it for a minimum of 20 minutes..... 30 is better and then the efficiency kicks in. Once you have hot it then the effect carry on for quite some time, depending on the exersize you are doing so a vigerous walk home keeps your metabolism stimulated and prolongs the effects....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

That's too funny about the crossword puzzle...so I can do the crossword for 2 hours instead of walk for 1? I can just see crossword puzzle classes popping up at small boutique gyms across the country. Hysterical!

CarlaB Enthusiast
*Exercising using an Elliptial Rider or Rowing Machine, (working at your THR for 20 - 30 minutes without stopping) 850 per hour

I do the elliptical not just to burn fat, but to burn stress!! I find I need it! When I was losing weight with the gluten-intolerance issues, I used to watch the monitor for how many calories I was burning and lament how much I would have to eat to actually absorb that many calories!! :lol: I ended up having to take it easy, shorter time, less resistance, but only till I got somewhat better.

mylady4 Rookie

For those of you trying to lose weight, do not be discouraged. I did lose 75 pounds in about 20 months. It has since stopped due to the health issues that I am working out. I followed a lower carb program and walking and biking. I would bike on a trail anywhere from 8-15 miles a day (depending on what type of day I was having). I did not coast but was contantly pushing myself to go faster or biking in a higher gear for longer. You have to contantly push yourself. I would also walk on the other days I was not biking. I was hard. Losing weight is not easy but it is so worth it and can be done. Find something that you like to do is key. When I started having hip problems my doctor told me to try Tae Bo. I hate aerobics, it is just not for me. As for running, I did that and was actually starting to enjoy it but it wrecked my hips and I can not do that anymore. One should also lift weights. Nothing else will make you feel stronger. Last January I was up to 25 lb (each hand) bumbbell curls and 345 lb leg presses and I felt so stong and so good. You have to make the commitment to being healthy. My motto was NO EXCUSES!!!. It is also a great stress relief.

You can do it, it just takes commitment and believing in yourself.

Good Luck

Nicole

Susan123 Rookie
The best way is what works for you.... walking is a pretty poor way, you don't see many professional boxers trying to loose weight by walking but if you enjoy walking and it works then its a good way....

Is an absoluely mindless thing to say. Barring stop signs and traffic lights there is no reason to stop.

You could say walkings is bad because of park benches but noone is putting a gun to your head.

OK

No you can't at least not effectively.

The first 15-20 minutes are simply getting your body into the right state where it will start using glycogen up from storage, after this it starts making new glycogen and buring fat to do it. Trying 15 mins here and there is liek a 3 steps forwards and 2 back method .... but its sure as heck better than sitrting at a desk !!!

Walking is one of the most ineffective ways to loose weight, it doesn't mean its a bad way but its not effective. Running for 1 hour will burn far more calories and stimulate the body far more as will cycling, cross country skiing or climbing stairs. If you can't do these because of knees or joints etc. then thats fine but that doesn't make walking a good way to effectively loose weight, let alone the BEST. Unless you are walking hard (5mph) then its only slightly better than lying down....

Walking in a gym is as pointless as it gets. if you enjoy a walk in the country then cool, exersize should be fun but actually walking in a gym when you could use a rowing machine or stair machine and burn 3x the calories in the same time is pointless unless you actually somehow enjoy walking on a treadmill.

If you want to lose weight quickly run 20-30 miles a day, every day.. you will loose weight, skip for 2 hours or cycle 100 miles a day....If you can't then walking might be a good way to start but it can never be an effective way unless you are climbing mountains .. and even then why not run up the mountain instead?

I wasn't disagreeing with you either :D .. its just my habit of correctness and also I think people should realise that exersize is actually enjoyable and eating better and starting off slow is fine but once you have been doing it a while you no longer need to think "duh how many calories do I need to burn off to eat this"

Paris is like NY.... everyone walks everywhere ... and like the US its the small towns with big malls and parking lots where people don't ... weird when you think about it... I take my vacation to walk in the country and these people are surrounded by it and choose not to....

Fast food wise.... lets just say its not really culturally acceptable in France. It exists ... but 90% of McDo customers are either tourists or France's equivalent to Jerry Springer talk show guests !!!! (sorry the word in French is racaille .. or rabble) hopefully you get the meaning.

but back to the previous post....

The best advice is get a training partner.... especially early on its easy to skip or be tired or .... 1001 other excuses and having a training partner to motivate you is invaluable be it walking, cycling or whatever.

Walking should be something you do...IMHO not an actual exersize. Excuses like its 105 outside don't really count unless you are in office clothes and don't have a shower of course.

Joining a club be it tennis or whatever is equally effective .. the key is committing the time and DOING it regualrly. The body is in many ways self governing.. once you start it off gainig or loosing wieght the hardest part is turning it around. To do this you have to overcome your bodies accustomed mode. Keeping exersize regular helps it adjust.

anyway time for bed.....

Wow. no need to get nasty... this is just a friendly talk about weight loss. We are all just suggesting what worked for us. Walking does help you loose weight... talk to the American Heart Association on how walking 30 minutes a day can reduce you weight to help you lower your blood pressure. Also, walking is much better for your joints and muscles than running. Running 20-30 miles a day will end you in a hospital with knee replacement surgery. Also, have you ever hear of runners collapsing from a heart attack? Your heart has an elastic sheath around it that protects it from harm. If you constantly run at a fast pace it is teaching your heart to expand constantly. Ever play with a rubber band only to have it get out of shape. Well soon or later you heart will not be able to contract efficiently. It will expand but not be able to go back causing a heart attack. Not to mention that most people who want to loose weight need to start off light. The muscles and joints are stiff and need to ease into exercise and build up to their comfort level. I have gone to a gym for the past 15-20 years and I have used every method out there. For me, walking is the only one that helped me to loose 20 lbs. I tried going 5 days a week and running. Yeah you increase your cardio but I substained many muscle or joint injuries. Yes I was doing it right. I even spent over a hundred dollars for running shoes to make sure I had the right shock absorption. THe machines were new by the way so the shocks in them were good. Trainers aren't good either... they want you to work so hard so that they look good that it is sickening. My coworker has one right now gettting her ready for a 5K and he doesn't care if her calf muscle is injured. keep going and get on that bike for 20 miles.... That is the wrong attitude to have. Sorry I don't agree with your over indulgence of exercise it only leads to low self-esteem and body image. If anyone feels the need to exercise that much it becomes them and sooner or later they develop eating disorders and poor self-esteem. Because when you work a body that hard for that long it is going to crash and it will not be pretty. Life is too short to spend most of your time in a gym or on the road.

Sweetfudge Community Regular

Here's my opinion on exercise and losing weight:

I don't think you should choose one over the other between biking and walking. They are both good for you, as you are up and moving your body! Fat burning aside, they are both FUN! As long as you aren't getting bored, keep it up. You use different muscles doing these exercises, so do them both! And, as many people have already emphasized, the keys are to watch your intake and to just DO IT! That has been my biggest struggle, the get up and go. So the fact that you're excersizing every day is great! It will reward you in more ways than just losing pounds :)

gfp Enthusiast
That's too funny about the crossword puzzle...so I can do the crossword for 2 hours instead of walk for 1? I can just see crossword puzzle classes popping up at small boutique gyms across the country. Hysterical!

I was really just trying to point out how innefficient walking is as a way to burn calories but seriously it wouldn't be a bad thing to encourage people to exersize thier mind as well. Heck the most efficeint weay to burn calories is to be really depressed and worried... divorce or death of a loved one can both shed pounds but are hardly recommended. I'm not knocking walking I love walking but its not an efficient way to loose calories...

In this case then I'd say (tongue in cheek) that spend the 2 hours doing crosswords etc. then 1 hr square dancing or tennis! Stimulate the mind and the body then something fun for the soul...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

BRUMI1968 Collaborator
I was really just trying to point out how innefficient walking is as a way to burn calories but seriously it wouldn't be a bad thing to encourage people to exersize thier mind as well. Heck the most efficeint weay to burn calories is to be really depressed and worried... divorce or death of a loved one can both shed pounds but are hardly recommended. I'm not knocking walking I love walking but its not an efficient way to loose calories...

In this case then I'd say (tongue in cheek) that spend the 2 hours doing crosswords etc. then 1 hr square dancing or tennis! Stimulate the mind and the body then something fun for the soul...

Actually, I hate crosswords. I like hiking, biking, walking, Pilates, tennis, and weight-lifting ... or reading or researching or filmmaking or photography or writing or poetry or taking classes.

I'm with you - exercise the body, mind, and the "spirit" (in other words, get some joy in life).

Square dancing does look kindof fun, though.

Isonic Newbie

I believe long and slow to be the best fat-burning exercise.

• 2 months later...
majicbunnies Contributor

Fat doesn't turn into muscle btw.

Robina Contributor
Okay this might sound nutty but here's the deal, I was intially riding my bike every other day anywhere from 10-15 miles and I walked (sometimes) on the days I didn't bike ride.

Well, lately it's been so flippin' hot and b/c of my work schedule i've been getting up at 5:30am walking the dog 1-2 miles (depending on if I snoozed too long or not) and then I come home in the afternoon and walk her (the dog) again anywhere from 1-3 miles (depending on how i'm feeling, the heat, etc.).

SO....my point to all this is do you think weight loss is more likely to occur w/ walking? Or Biking??

I ask this b/c when I was doing the biking every other day 10-15 miles and sometimes walking on the other days I wasn't losing any weight...but since i've started ONLY walking when I got on the scale today I was so excited to see i'd lost a pound (hey it's not much but it's a start and believe you me it's been a STRUGGLE).

So i'm just curious if anyone has some insight about this and curious if walking burns more than biking or something....I thought biking the 10-15 miles was a pretty darn good workout but if losing weight is as simple as walking that's great too...

Cardio is cardio... and it will help you lose weight either way... but... if you really want to lose fat weight... you should add resistance training to your routine... two good sessions per week is all you really need provided you are using weight that is challenging enough and doing enough sets/reps... regardless...

muscle burns fat... here's a good site for various resistance exercises that have free printables and demos:

Open Original Shared Link and alot of these use bodyweight for the resistance...

Mayflowers Contributor

According to the "Escape your Shape" guy, it depends on your body shape with the weights. My body is a spoon, any resistance on the bottom area makes my body bigger. He also had two people, one was a runner and the other one used weights but wasn't a professional body builder. Who looked thinner and leaner? The runner of course. The person who exercised using weights was bigger. He told them if they want to look more like the other one, to switch exericse routines. He also said if you have a lot of fat to get rid of, doing weight training will make you bigger by building up the muscles underneath the fat and pushes the fat out causing you to look bigger, not slimmer. :D

tarnalberry Community Regular

but you can do weight training that builds muscle strength without buiding significant muscle mass. it's quite possible to *not* bulk up if you train correctly.

Warrior Woman Rookie

The whole 'walking burns more fat' thing is a game of numbers.

When you calculate out the percentage and actually calroies burned, it is a different story. the higher the heart rate, the more actually calories and fat calories you burn.

The body does burn a higher percentage of calories from fat when involved in lower intensity cardio exercise. BUT, at higher intensities, you burn a greater number of overall calories which is what you should be concerned about when trying to lose weight. The chart below details the fat calories expended by a 130-pound woman during cardio exercise:

Low Intensity - 60-65% MHR	High Intensity - 80-85% MHR 

Total Calories 

Expended a min.		4.86			   6.86

Fat Calories 

expended a min					 2.43							2.7

Total Calories 

expended in 30 min.					  146							206

Total Fat calories

expended in 30 min.					  73							 82

Percentage of fat

calories burned					  50%						   39.85%

Mayflowers Contributor
but you can do weight training that builds muscle strength without buiding significant muscle mass. it's quite possible to *not* bulk up if you train correctly.

Oh contrare Ms. Tarnal, many people, such as myself, bulk up quite easily... more easily than normal. I would think it would be individual. Just because I'm a woman, doesn't mean I can't bulk up by just using light weights also. I like to use weights on my upper body. If I exercise the lower half I keep the resistance very low on a bike.

Archived