Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Celiac Disease And High Blood Pressure...

• Please log in to reply

24 replies to this topic

#1 Sheryl in NJ

Sheryl in NJ

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 03:24 PM

Hi all,

Have any of you seen a correlation with High Blood Pressure. I started a gluten-free diet last Monday (10 days ago). I am seeing a huge improvement in my blood pressure since I cut gluten out of my diet. Has anyone else seen this correlation?

Thanks,
Sheryl

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Guest_Educator_*

Guest_Educator_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2006 - 09:42 AM

I have had blood pressure problems for years and mine has steadily gone up. I am now taking 3 blood pressure pills twice a day. I have lost a lot of weight and one would think that would help make one's blood pressure to get better, but I have had two heart attacks, have coranary arterie disease and congestive heart failure. I cannot say for certain, but in my particular case I would say no there is no correlation.

#3 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 09:55 AM

I haven't noticed a difference, either.

I've been gluten-free for just over a year. I've been on blood pressure medication for about 8 years. The diet has not changed my bp at all. I still take 2 different medicines for it. I keep hoping, but as of yet, it's not changed. It does stay well controlled with the meds, though.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#4 susiek

susiek

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 02:41 PM

My BP isn't being controlled right now. And I am taking 2 meds--one doubled from the sole medicine I was previously taking. When I went on Friday it was still 160/100. It was at this appointment that my doctor and I discussed celiac disease and I had blood drawn for the screening. We also discussed the chance that my meds aren't being absorbed and aren't working properly. Maybe that is affecting you also. She predicted that as I go gluten free and start healing that the meds will start working and I'll be able to reduce them.

I was also taking Allegra-D for allergies and stopped when I realized I was passing the pills undigested. Which made me wonder about the BP meds. Which led to this discussion!

#5 Nancym

Nancym

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 03:53 PM

When I started a low carb diet my blood pressure dropped to normal (was edging up all the time) and has stayed that way ever since. In my case, eating more meat, fruits and veggies and less starches and sugars made an enormous difference.

#6 jcc

jcc

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 01:39 PM

Hi all,

Have any of you seen a correlation with High Blood Pressure. I started a gluten-free diet last Monday (10 days ago). I am seeing a huge improvement in my blood pressure since I cut gluten out of my diet. Has anyone else seen this correlation?

Thanks,
Sheryl

Hi,

I am a regular at Braintalk gluten sensitivity/celiac forum where we had several members there say they enjoyed an improvement of their high blood pressure....some able to reduce or come off medication. I'd point you to the thread...but its gone! The forum crashed big time.

jcc

#7 aklap

aklap

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 07:23 PM

Hi all,

Thanks,
Sheryl

Hi Sheryl,

I'm one of those from Braintalk that JCC was talking about. I have been gluten-free for 3.5 years, I was able to slowly cut back my BP meds during that time. On 01/20/05 my GP OK'ed me to suspend my BP meds. I am still off of them. I take BP readings a couple times a month. My avg. BP is probably 130/80 (I haven't averaged them lately). Previously, I had been on BP meds for about 23 years. I was on neuropathy pain meds too for a short time. Currently I am med free!!!

I attribute: GFD, magnessium supps, Fish Oil for this.

I wish you well.

#8 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2006 - 11:38 PM

I had high blood pressure before my dx, I was also dx'ed morbidly obese... in the 3 1/2 years since my dx I've lost 110 pounds and just recently was told to go off the blood pressure meds because my blood pressure was now too low on them. My follow ups after weaning off the blood pressure meds have been great. No sign of high blood pressure. So in my case, yes there is a connection.

#9 yogi

yogi

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 04:15 AM

Have taken bp meds for ten years. past two weeks have been gluten free and my bp is normal. cautiously watching to see that it remains that way before I stop taking medication for good. Haven't taken meds for two days and still bp okay. 120/80 from 150 or 160/100 prior to medication to 130/85 on meds

#10 paulanddiw

paulanddiw

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 02:48 PM

Hi all,

Thanks,
Sheryl

I have. I don't have stomach or GI symptoms. I don't know if I have celiac disease, but my blood pressure was over 200 and going up. None of the medicines they gave me helped.

As soon as I stopped eating bread, the medicines worked. The more gluten sources I found on the lables (and stopped eating them) the lower my blood pressure got. Now, I take a pill about once a week. My pressue averages in the 130's

#11 hbomb1012

hbomb1012

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 09:23 PM

As I've been going through this diagnosis process and paying much more attention to what I eat, my blood pressure has been going down. I'm 32 and was put on HBP meds last Oct when I went to the doctor for chronic headaches and light-headedness. My BP was 165/110 that visit.

On my visit to the GI last Weds, my BP was 118/84. I am still on the meds and will stay on them until I am well into a gluten-free diet, which I will be officially starting tomorrow, with my kitchen clean out. I have been eating mostly gluten free for the last month, though.

#12 Lisa16

Lisa16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 06:39 AM

Make that a "yes" for me too!

I was having blood pressure spikes, which are gone now. In addition, the low carb diet was a great help.

I do not take bp meds anymore, which is a good thing because I had a lot of trouble with them.

I had worked through all of the classes of meds, except nitroglycerin (which I refused.) They either did not work or I had an allergic/adverse reaction to them. My reaction to alpha blockers was so bad I got hauled into the ER by ambulance.

If there is a silver lining to celiac (and I think there are several,) this is one of them for me.

#13 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 07:11 AM

I noticed that I responded to this thread quite a while ago, so I wanted to update.

I was on BP meds for years--I had to switch at one point due to side effects and then an allergy. My readings were ok at home--130's/80's for the most part but were much higher in the doctor's office--160/100 was not unusual.

I recently cut out sugar and starchy carbs and within 2 weeks my BP dropped considerably. Yesterday afternoon it was 108/68. I'm still on one med (my doctor took me off the other) but am keeping track of my readings. I'm quite happy eating this way--my stomach is liking it and I'm slowly dropping some weight that I can stand to lose.

I'm hoping to be able to get off of the remaining med--I have read that insulin is at the root of much hypertension and preventing the insulin rise by avoiding too many carbs can be effective. To my amazement, it seem to be working like a charm :)
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#14 digmom1014

digmom1014

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 07:51 AM

My BP has definately gone down. My med's are much lighter versions of the one's I have been taking since I was 21 yrs. I have been gluten-free for almost 2 yrs. and I am 45 yrs. HBP run's in the family.
Sarah

"What comes around, goes around"

#15 Lisa16

Lisa16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 08:24 AM

Patty, do you happen to remember where you read about the insulin connection? I ask because my dad is now having trouble and I am hoping the article will help him. His blood sugar and bp are both too high.

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: