Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Is This The Gluten/wheat?

4 posts in this topic

On Saturday night we had company coming, so my family ate out. I foolishly ate croutons, and half of a piece of bread. I was perfectly fine that night (except a few stomach problems)! Yesterday, as we were taking company around we ate out again. I had grilled chicken with BBQ sauce. (it was a BBQ place so everything had BBQ sauce!) It was either eat and risk gluten or starve (and I was SO hungry!). My mom who has Celiac said she was fine! I, on the other had knew immediately after eating the meal, that there was gluten/wheat in it somewhere. I had the usual twinge in my stomach right after I ate it! I was fine until we drove to the beach later. Before we left, all I had was and iced coffe with lactaid milk in it and sugar. I started feeling sick in the car. I got REALLY dizzy! Then as we got the the beach I got nausea, and I started feeling weak/my arms and legs got heavy. As we were walking back from the beach I felt like I could not breath and was going to pass out in the sand! I made it back to the car though, but my hands were shaking like crazy! My face also got really flushed (I felt almost like I had a fever!). I've gotten this several times before now. Is this from the gluten/wheat, or is it from caffiene? I'mjust so confused! My mom just thinks I didn't eat enough, but I ate alot yesterday!

Ads by Google:

It certainly could be a combination of things like caffeine, eating gluten and milk(in the coffee) together, low blood sugar, heat...

But, I have had this happen to me with just eating gluten(accidentally)!

I got REALLY dizzy!  ...I got nausea, and I started feeling weak/my arms and legs got heavy.  ...I felt like I could not breath and was going to pass out...  ...my hands were shaking like crazy! My face also got really flushed (I felt almost like I had a fever!).

I felt like I would fall off of the floor, and I was lying on it!

It's like being really drunk ...and the room starts spinning, too!

What a horrible symptom to have! I feel for you. :)

I think it's the gluten, 'cause it happens to me, too.

Connie

gluten-free since 1-'98

Everything you described is exactly what i feel after eating gluten. Really dizzy and really nauseated and my arms get heavy and i know that i wouldn't make it walking around the block. This is how i discovered that someone sold me the wrong iron supplement that wasn't gluten-free. Listen to what your body tells you, it will definitly let you know when you have been poisoned.

I've also experienced this several times. I would get really dizzy and feel like the room was moving and in my worst episodes I would still be conscious but my eyes would black out, like I was blind and my hearing would be almost completely gone. It was the most weird feeling ever and the whole time I was flushed and felt like I had a fever and that I could possibly die. Thankfully this hasn't happened for over a year now.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Over the past month or so, I have been have a fuzzy feeling in my left ear canal. The best I can describe is it feels like there is a bug in my ear, but when ear is checked, no bug but the fuzzy stays.  Any ideas?  Or is this one of those strange neurological symptoms from gluten?  Please don't tell me you need to get ti checked out, because all the doctors will say is "There's nothing wrong, everything's normal." BLAH!
    • Breakfast on the go is always trickiest for me - I go with a whole fruit - banana, apple - or a yogurt, or a small bag of nuts.  Occasionally, I have a couple of hardboiled eggs at my local pret a manger.  Much prefer breakfast at home, where I can make myself an egg and cheese sandwich with avocado on gluten free toast.  Or cereal ;-)
    • thanks for your input, the reason I do the blood test is because I found out my duagther has it recently and she carry dq2 gene,so must be from my husband or me...im in the process waiting for my genetic test back,,by the way,I do have lots of celiac symptom,so it could be gluten sensitiive you said,thanks again.  
    • No I'm in the UK, from what I've been told that's a good thing for gluten labeling and standards compliance. What you and everyone else on here says makes me sense than what the doctors are saying (a confused message at best is what they're giving me, each one with a slightly different version of it). My referral letter is in the post so on theory appointment may not be that far away. I have a load of my favourite Quorn stuff (non-gluten-free version) in the freezer so perhaps using that up may be a good way to proceed for now. I'm out at the moment and torn whether to try chips from a café, in the strict gluten-free future would probably be a no-no but in current situation probably not so bad...
    • I also only really eat one meal a day and always after I get home. I never really feel hungrey. I call it 'Pavlov's dog in reverse'.  I think it comes from so many years of food making me sick. I have gotten to the point where I now at least can eat a sandwhich and some fruit during the day but it wasn't a quick process. When folks get like that it is very important to make sure that one meal has a good amount of both calories and nutrtion.  If your diet is how you describe you are starving yourself.  You need to get yourself used to eating again.  What helped me was carrying a baggie with some nuts and dry fruit with maybe even a handful of gluten free pretzels and always some chocolate baking chips. I just ate couple pieces when I thought of it throughout the day. A little bit of cheese and a couple safe crackers, a piece of fruit or a small tin or individual serving snack pack are also good. You need to get some nutrition during the day so you can feel up to cooking a simple full meal  for dinner. I hope your feeling better soon.
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Russ Phelps