3 replies to this topic

#1 HappyCat22

HappyCat22

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 03:28 AM

On Saturday night we had company coming, so my family ate out. I foolishly ate croutons, and half of a piece of bread. I was perfectly fine that night (except a few stomach problems)! Yesterday, as we were taking company around we ate out again. I had grilled chicken with BBQ sauce. (it was a BBQ place so everything had BBQ sauce!) It was either eat and risk gluten or starve (and I was SO hungry!). My mom who has Celiac said she was fine! I, on the other had knew immediately after eating the meal, that there was gluten/wheat in it somewhere. I had the usual twinge in my stomach right after I ate it! I was fine until we drove to the beach later. Before we left, all I had was and iced coffe with lactaid milk in it and sugar. I started feeling sick in the car. I got REALLY dizzy! Then as we got the the beach I got nausea, and I started feeling weak/my arms and legs got heavy. As we were walking back from the beach I felt like I could not breath and was going to pass out in the sand! I made it back to the car though, but my hands were shaking like crazy! My face also got really flushed (I felt almost like I had a fever!). I've gotten this several times before now. Is this from the gluten/wheat, or is it from caffiene? I'mjust so confused! My mom just thinks I didn't eat enough, but I ate alot yesterday!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Connie R-E

Connie R-E

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 09:17 AM

It certainly could be a combination of things like caffeine, eating gluten and milk(in the coffee) together, low blood sugar, heat...

But, I have had this happen to me with just eating gluten(accidentally)!

I got REALLY dizzy!  ...I got nausea, and I started feeling weak/my arms and legs got heavy.  ...I felt like I could not breath and was going to pass out...  ...my hands were shaking like crazy! My face also got really flushed (I felt almost like I had a fever!).

I felt like I would fall off of the floor, and I was lying on it!
It's like being really drunk ...and the room starts spinning, too!
What a horrible symptom to have! I feel for you. :)
I think it's the gluten, 'cause it happens to me, too.

Connie
gluten-free since 1-'98

#3 Mballerina

Mballerina

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 06 September 2004 - 06:51 PM

Everything you described is exactly what i feel after eating gluten. Really dizzy and really nauseated and my arms get heavy and i know that i wouldn't make it walking around the block. This is how i discovered that someone sold me the wrong iron supplement that wasn't gluten-free. Listen to what your body tells you, it will definitly let you know when you have been poisoned.
Magdalena (1st celiac disease, than the world)

#4 byuiemily

byuiemily

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 07 September 2004 - 10:07 AM

I've also experienced this several times. I would get really dizzy and feel like the room was moving and in my worst episodes I would still be conscious but my eyes would black out, like I was blind and my hearing would be almost completely gone. It was the most weird feeling ever and the whole time I was flushed and felt like I had a fever and that I could possibly die. Thankfully this hasn't happened for over a year now.
Emily Wilkes
Diagnosed August 2002 at age 17

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: