5 replies to this topic

#1 sunshine20

sunshine20

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 05:25 AM

We'll be going to the Paris hotel buffet in Las Vegas this upcoming weekend as part of a wedding party/reception. I emailed the hotel this morning, but wondered if anyone had visited there recently? I also realize in general that buffets are not the best for Celiacs, but it's a part of the wedding reception, so it's not like I can't go. And I gotta believe there's at least one thing there that I could eat!

Michelle in IL

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 flagbabyds

flagbabyds

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 08:50 AM

The only thing I ever eat at buffets is fruit and milk
Molly

#3 Kim

Kim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 05:27 PM

I've eaten at the Paris buffet for breakfast and I assume yours is dinner. I highly recommend speaking with one of the chefs. I did and He took me around and showed me exactly what I could have and he also brought me something that he made (I think it was hashbrowns or something like that) so there wouldn't be cross=contamination. You just need to speak up and be very clear about what you can/can't have and your concerns re: cross contamination. I said I had a severe food allergy and would become very sick if I had any wheat, rye, barley, oats .....

As you've stated, buffets aren't the best, but it can be done and given that you are a guest, it may just be one of those meals where you are happy to be with the people and the food you end up with is "ok" but not great.. Just be careful, because Paris is known for that "cheap" French food that is thickened with flour (having now visited Paris, France, I know that real French food is thickened with cream not flour) and it seems to be in things you wouldn't suspect. So, just definitely speak up and ask.

Good luck. BTW, I'll be in Vegas this weekend too so hopefully we'll both do well at the tables... Kim.

#4 sunshine20

sunshine20

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 06:44 PM

Thanks for the response, Kim! Yes, we will be at Paris for dinner. A couple years ago we were in Vegas at the Aladdin and the head chef there was extremely helpful, so I spose I'll just contact the chef at Paris. Just thought I'd post in case someone had been there very recently so I could have an idea of specific dishes. They probably change pretty often anyway. Definitely not expecting 20 items I can eat, but a couple would be nice. Good tip about the 'cheap French food', I will for sure stay away from anything looking creamy - which I do anyway, actually. And if/when I ever get over to experience the REAL food, I'll look forward to eating as much as possible. And ensure my gym membership is up to date for when I come back!

Yes, I hope we both win this wknd - well, I'd settle for coming close to breaking even actually!

Michelle

#5 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 05:09 AM

At many places the chef will bring you something fresh from the kitchen once you identify what it is you want. They did this at three bueffets at Disney World. All you can do is ask.

richard

#6 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 02:19 PM

Talk to the chef, of course, but I'd be very wary of any buffets....it's too easy to get contaminated...either utensils changing spots and being used for multiple foods or crumbs getting into something that might otherwise be gluten-free. Be extremely careful with eating anything straight from the buffet -- if a chef brings you something you can eat, I think you can trust it more....but buffets are dangerous places for celiacs. :)

-celiac3270

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: