12 replies to this topic

#1 floridanative

floridanative

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 10:53 AM

Many on this board, including me, have expressed that we would never want most of our freinds and family to come on this site and read our posts, as they may not be so nice at times and could hurt the feeling of those we care for. Well something interesting just happened when I was searching online for gluten-free places to eat for an upcoming trip. My own post from here appeared about that town/visit. Now I had not said anything that would offend anyone but that is not always the case of course.

For instance, if one of your family members decdided to locate a place for you to eat while visiting with them, they could end up reading a post about how worried you are or that you're dreading the trip. Just thought I'd share what happened to me because I really was taken aback when I got a match that was a post of mine from this site. It's like we think we're just sharing with each other but of course we are sharing with the world.
Dx'd with anemia - March 2005
Positive blood tests - Sept. 2005
Positive biopsy - Jan. 2006
Gluten free since 1-23-06

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 oceangirl

oceangirl

oceangirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 11:12 AM

Many on this board, including me, have expressed that we would never want most of our freinds and family to come on this site and read our posts, as they may not be so nice at times and could hurt the feeling of those we care for. Well something interesting just happened when I was searching online for gluten-free places to eat for an upcoming trip. My own post from here appeared about that town/visit. Now I had not said anything that would offend anyone but that is not always the case of course.

For instance, if one of your family members decdided to locate a place for you to eat while visiting with them, they could end up reading a post about how worried you are or that you're dreading the trip. Just thought I'd share what happened to me because I really was taken aback when I got a match that was a post of mine from this site. It's like we think we're just sharing with each other but of course we are sharing with the world.

Excellent point. I've always thought of the Internet as a completely public space. My kids were annoyed for years because I would not get a computer, then would not get on the internet. (We don't have television either) It's good to be reminded.

lisa

#3 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 11:33 AM

Yep. While some blogs have privacy filters, or at least filters that allow posts to not be indexed by search engines, this isn't a blog, and this doesn't have such a filter. It's always best to imagine that you're saying whatever you're saying to everyone you know now, and could meet in the future. It gives an interesting perspective on self-censorhip, I've learned the hard way.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#4 ehrin

ehrin

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 11:47 AM

try googling your name, your friends names and your family members names
you'll be amazed at what you find!
My name is forgettable, so I invite you to remember this tale." (RG)

Diagnosed with celiac disease, by biopsy, 10/05
T1 diabetic since 2/80

#5 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 12:30 PM

Except that I have a very common name and there are thousands with it!!! Sometimes it's an advantage, usually it's a problem, like when trying to buy a house and suddenly my credit shows I owe thousands to someone ...
gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

#6 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 08:16 PM

That's a really good point. Anyone could read what we say here if they wanted and most of us have pictures so it's easy to tell who it is!
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

#7 ms_sillyak_screwed

ms_sillyak_screwed

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 06:44 PM

#8 schuyler

schuyler

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 12:29 PM

I actually found this board by doing a search for gluten-free bread.

Thank goodness I did, because I don't know what I'd do without this board.
Danielle

Diagnosed with Celiac 1/3/06 at age 20

Also dairy free and soy light

Guardian to 3 boys, ages 4, 3, and 2 who are gluten-free, df, corn free, and soy light

#9 Guest_BERNESES_*

Guest_BERNESES_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2006 - 12:33 PM

I just googled my name and my hubby's and it turns out that he is deceased lead singer of Nirvana who just happens to have a cousin with my first name. Weird!!!!

#10 Guhlia

Guhlia

Ah yes.... Happy New Year to all, Red Bridge style... LOL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 12:33 PM

Thanks for the reminder... Now if only I could get a member of my family to actually do some researching on the subject!

Errrr... Becky, if you read this, I didn't mean you. :)
~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

#11 Idahogirl

Idahogirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 03:15 PM

My mom has celiac and reads this site regularly, so that keeps me accountable. :D In fact, she is able to go to my user and read all of my posts! It makes me think about what I type a little more since I know I'm not totally anonymous!

Lisa

#12 jenvan

jenvan

Lynne took this picture! :)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 04:41 AM

Oh, that's very true Tiffany! I had someone from my local Celiac group e-mail me that she found a post I wrote on a doctor....she was researching him. Another woman I didn't know found something I had written about a specific medication and e-mailed me b/c she just moved to my town. We had lunch together :) The internet makes it a "small world." I try to be consistent in character here online as I am in person so that I don't have to be worried about anything I write.
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005
dairy-free

#13 Rikki Tikki

Rikki Tikki

Tavi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 05:13 AM

I googled my first name and it took me to the page that had all the information about me. Now I am thinking I should change my sign on name for here. The problem is my name is so unusual. Any ideas?
Nostaglia is a file that removes the rough edges from the good old days!!!!

" 15 years of it's stress!"
"blood work show's a disease called celiac,
but it can't be that because it's rare!"
Diagnosed via blood and biopsy 2003

Not a medical professional just a silly celiac
offering support, my
experience and advice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: