5 replies to this topic

#1 catfish

catfish

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 08:20 AM

I wasn't sure where else to put this, but since I've been gluten-free I've started having skeletal pain, particularly in my legs, ankles and shins. I'm 33 years old but it hurts exactly like growing pains which I haven't had since childhood. I'm wondering if this could be caused by my body metabolizing calcium unlike it has been able to do previously. Are my bones making up for lost time? Has anyone else experienced anything like this or is this probably just an unrelated problem?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 flagbabyds

flagbabyds

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 08:45 AM

I had pains exactly like that but about 10 times worse and couldmn't walk for 2 omnths
Molly

#3 lyndszai

lyndszai

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 12:26 PM

Im getting pains like that all the time now they started when I went back on gluten for my test ive had them for 11 days now and it really hurts.

#4 strack2004

strack2004

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 03:42 PM

Catfish, I still don't know if I have celiac or not, but I do have ankle, heel pains especially in my right foot that are driving me up a wall. I also have shoulder aches and aches in my hands. Since I am older (76 yesterday!) I have thought these to be arthritis. However this heel pain always gets worse when I eat more heavily of gluten. I have been tested for celiac with the blood tests at Mayos, they are in the very low negative range. Am debating whether to go with the diet anyway since gluten does seem to affect my heel/ankle pain. Have had that before and had cortisone shots. Don't want to do the shots anymore. Also may explore further testing at entero labs or possibly ask to have a biopsy at Mayos. I remain on the gluten until I get some more information. I have also begun to have shin pain . Don't know if this addresses your problem or not, the ankle, shin pain caught my attention. Cheers, Strack004

#5 karen149

karen149

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 05:13 PM

Hi,
This is happening to my daughter right now. She's only 3, but I called her endocrinologist yesterday with the same question. My daughter cries that her arms hurt and she is waking up at night with pain. The doctor said it is most likely her system getting back into growing mode and starting to absorb nutrients. :)

#6 erica

erica

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 31 July 2004 - 10:04 PM

Hi, I actually have this problem when I am not off gluten. I had it for years before I knew I had celiac disease and it stopped when I went off gluten. I am now back on gluten for a short period to have an endoscopy and within 2 weeks of eating it again, my leg pains came back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: