This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Favorite Sugar Cookie Recipes Or Mixes?

Nantzie

Nantzie Collaborator

My new mission has become finding a recipe or mix for gluten-free sugar cookies (not pre-made). I've tried a few mixes and didn't find anything I liked so far. I'm getting to the point where I want to try some recipes if I can't find a mix I like. But a mix would be so much easier if I could find one.

Any suggestions? Best and worst cookie mixes/recipes opinions?

Nancy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFBetsy Rookie

Try this recipe. I hated eating gluten free sugar cookies, because they always tasted like they'd been to the beach and back with a trip to the "sand"wich Islands in between. Gritty. Blech. These, on the other hand taste and feel just like regular sugar cookies. In fact, my Dad and Sister (who don't have celiac) say that they prefer these to "regular" sugar cookies. Let me know what you think!

Gluten Free Sugar Cookies or Fruit Pizza Base

1 3/4 c. margarine

3/4 c. instant vanilla pudding mix (jello brand is what I use - made by Kraft)

1/2 c. sugar

2 eggs

2 tsp. vanilla

4 c. featherlight mix (Bette Hagmans recipe)

1 3/4 tsp. xanthan gum

3/4 tsp. baking powder

1/3 tsp. salt

Cream margarine, pudding mix, and sugar. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each. Add vanilla. Combine dry ingredients and add to creamed mixture. Chill about 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 350. Sprinkle a clean surface with potato starch. Place dough on counter, turning once to dust both sides of dough with starch. Roll or pat out 1/4 inch thick. Cut with cookie cutters.

Bake at 350 for about 11 minutes. (The edges will start browning, but the tops will still be very light.) Frost with cream cheese frosting. To make a fruit pizza, spread some of the dough (1/4 to 1/3 of a batch) in the bottom of a 9x13 cake pan, about the same thickness as (or a little thinnerthan) you do for cut out cookies. Bake at 350 until the center is cooked (this takes a bit longer than baking the cookies).

For Fruit Pizza, combine:

8 oz. cream cheese

1 c. powdered sugar

Spread over cooled crust (covers one 9 x 13 pan). Top with sliced fresh or canned fruit, such as strawberries, bananas, kiwi, peaches, mandarin oranges, or pineapple.

Featherlight Mix - from Bette Hagman's Gluten Free Gourmet Bakes Bread

1 c. Rice flour

1 c. cornstarch

1 c. tapioca starch

1 Tbs. potato flour (NOT potato starch)

Betsy

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

I haven't yet tried Annelise Roberts' sugar cookie recipe, but based on how fantastic her cake and chocolate chip cookie recipes are, I bet it would be good! If you haven't yet bought her cookbook, you should!

Roben Ryberg (the "Miss Roben") has a cookbook out where all her cookie use a simple cornstarch/potato starch mix. Also check out: Open Original Shared Link of good info!

Guest nini

my fave mix is The Gluten Free Pantry's old fashioned cake and cookie mix, there is a recipe on their website (and prolly on the bag) for sugar cookies and they are way yum!

GFBetsy Rookie

Sorry my measurements were weird earlier. I've edited them now . . no more question marks!

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

Here's a recipe for Sugar Cookies. I neither eat nor bake Sugar Cookies, but they are a staple at my mother-in-law's house at Christmas. She made them, iced & decorated them (checking all labels, of course) and says you can't tell the difference between these and the usual ones she makes.

Gluten Free Sugar Cookies

⅓ cup margarine

⅓ cup shortening

1 cup rice flour

1 tsp xanthan gum

1 tsp unflavoured gelatin

1 egg

¾ cup sugar

1 tbsp milk

2 tsp baking powder

1 tsp vanilla

¼ tsp salt (scant)

½ cup tapioca starch

½ cup potato starch

preheat oven to 375˚F

In a large bowl, beat margarine and shortening together until creamy.

Add rice flour, xanthan gum, gelatin, egg, sugar, milk, baking powder, vanilla and salt. Beat well.

Add tapioca starch and potato starch. Beat until well.

Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for three hours.

Divide the dough in half and chill the unused portion of the dough until needed.

On a lightly rice-floured surface, roll half of the dough at a time, to ⅛” thick. Cut into desired shapes and place on an ungreased cookie sheet. (if the dough becomes sticky, return to the fridge to chill again.)

Bake at 375˚ F for 7-8 minutes (for 2 ½ inch cookies; less for smaller ones, more for larger ones) or until the edges are firm and bottoms are very lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.

These are from Sheri L. Sanderson's cookbook "Incredible Edible Gluten Free Food for Kids"

I hope you can use all those ingredients or find easy substitutes.

• 2 weeks later...
GFBetsy Rookie

Nantzie -

Did you discover the perfect recipe?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jo Ann Apprentice

This is the best sugar cookie I've found, and it's easy to work with. It's a variation of the Crisco recipe I used in the past.

Ultimate Sugar Cookie

1 1/4 cups sugar

1 cup (1 stick) Butter Flavor Crisco

2 eggs

1/4 cup light corn syrup or pancake syrup

1 Tbls. vanilla

2 cups Bette Hagman gluten-free flour mix

1 cup sweet rice flour

1 tsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp. baking soda

1/2 tsp. salt

2 tsp. xanthan gum

Combine sugar & Crisco in large mixer bowl. Beat at medium speed until well blended. Add eggs, syrup, & vanilla. Beat until fluffy. Combine dry ingredients. Gradually add to creamed mixture at low speed. Mix until well blended. Divide dough ito 4 quarters. Wrap each quarter in plastic wrap & chill at least 1 hour. Spread 1 tablespoon of gluten-free flour on large sheet of waxed paper. Pat 1/4 of dough on floured paper & cover with another piece of waxed paper. Roll dough to 1/4" thickness & cut out with floured cutter. Transfer to ungreased baking sheet with large pancake turner, placing about 2" apart. Bake at 375 degrees for 5 to 9 minutes (bake smaller, thinner cookies 5 minutes & larger cookies closer to 9 minutes). DO NOT OVERBAKE. Cool several minutes then remove to rack to cool completely. Frost as desired. Makes about 4 dozen.

Hope you like it as much as our family.

Jo Ann

jnifred Explorer

This is one I have been using for over 10 years....it took my about 6 months to find the right gluten-free flour mix to use in it, but I did it!!!!

I use Authentic Foods extra finely ground brown rice flour (2 cups), 2/3 cup potato starch, 1/3 cup tapioca starch..

now for the recipe....

1 cup softened butter ( I leave it out overnight)

1 cup sugar ( you can decrease this by 1/4 cup without any problems)

1 large egg

1 tsp vanilla

2 tsp baking powder

3 cups flour

1 tbsp xantham gum

preheat oven to 400. Cream butter and sugar together with mixer in large bowl. Beat in egg and vanilla. Add baking powder (add xanthum gum now!!!) and 1 cup flour at a time, mixing after each addition. Last cup of flour should be mixed by hand as dough will be very stiff. You may not need the whole cup, so work it in slowly. This dough does NOT need to be chilled....Divide into 2 balls and on lightlyfloured surface roll into 12 inch circle, or to the thickness you like (about 1/8 inch is normal). Cut with cookie cutters. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet 6-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove and cool on rack.

I recommend using parchment paper so they don't stick to the pan. You can sprinkle colored sugar on before baking or use frosting.

These get gobbled up pretty fast around here!!!

Nantzie Collaborator
Nantzie -

Did you discover the perfect recipe?

:D Not yet. My daughter has had an upsurge in symptoms and just got positive Enterolab tests. I've been busy just with that.

Jenny and I have tried a couple cookie mixes, but we haven't had a chance to do a real official recipe yet. I'm hoping to get to Whole Foods this week to get the flours for the Bette's mix. Jenny loves to bake, but she's never had much of a sweet tooth, so Mikey, my 2yo, is our taste tester. It's very cute. :lol:

Nancy

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

jnifred--they look wonderful--but don't you need xanthan gum in there somewhere? Or do they not need it?

jnifred Explorer

YES you do!!!!!! I forgot that!!! Add a tablespoon of xantham gum!!! Thanks for that reminder!!!

Cheri A Contributor

I will 2nd 2Boys4Me's sugar cookie recipe! They make great cut-out cookies too!!

Another tip I will add that I just found out about.. roll the dough out on parchment paper and cut the cookies. Pop them in the freezer for 15 minutes and take out. The shapes can be popped out easily and when you re-roll the dough, you don't need any additional flour.

• 2 weeks later...
gointribal Enthusiast

This isn't a sugar cookie but its a really easy chocolate chip cookie recipe that I like because it doesn't require a lot of flour.

Chocolate chip cookies

1/2 cup gluten-free flour

2 eggs

1tsp vanilla

1/4 tsp baking powder

3/4 cup brown sugar

1/2 peanut butter

1/4 cup butter or shortening

1 cup choc. chips

Preheat oven for 350

Add sugar, P.B., butter, eggs and vanilla in a bowl, mix well. Add flour and baking powder to the wet mixture and blend together. Add choc. chips and mix. Drop onto ungreased cookie sheep and bake for 12 min.

• 3 months later...
Guest AutumnE
Try this recipe. I hated eating gluten free sugar cookies, because they always tasted like they'd been to the beach and back with a trip to the "sand"wich Islands in between. Gritty. Blech. These, on the other hand taste and feel just like regular sugar cookies. In fact, my Dad and Sister (who don't have celiac) say that they prefer these to "regular" sugar cookies. Let me know what you think!

Gluten Free Sugar Cookies or Fruit Pizza Base

1 3/4 c. margarine

3/4 c. instant vanilla pudding mix (jello brand is what I use - made by Kraft)

1/2 c. sugar

2 eggs

2 tsp. vanilla

4 c. featherlight mix (Bette Hagmans recipe)

1 3/4 tsp. xanthan gum

3/4 tsp. baking powder

1/3 tsp. salt

Cream margarine, pudding mix, and sugar. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each. Add vanilla. Combine dry ingredients and add to creamed mixture. Chill about 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 350. Sprinkle a clean surface with potato starch. Place dough on counter, turning once to dust both sides of dough with starch. Roll or pat out 1/4 inch thick. Cut with cookie cutters.

Bake at 350 for about 11 minutes. (The edges will start browning, but the tops will still be very light.) Frost with cream cheese frosting. To make a fruit pizza, spread some of the dough (1/4 to 1/3 of a batch) in the bottom of a 9x13 cake pan, about the same thickness as (or a little thinnerthan) you do for cut out cookies. Bake at 350 until the center is cooked (this takes a bit longer than baking the cookies).

For Fruit Pizza, combine:

8 oz. cream cheese

1 c. powdered sugar

Spread over cooled crust (covers one 9 x 13 pan). Top with sliced fresh or canned fruit, such as strawberries, bananas, kiwi, peaches, mandarin oranges, or pineapple.

Featherlight Mix - from Bette Hagman's Gluten Free Gourmet Bakes Bread

1 c. Rice flour

1 c. cornstarch

1 c. tapioca starch

1 Tbs. potato flour (NOT potato starch)

Betsy

Tip for anyone making these, I think there was a typo. I would add 1 1/2 cups of sugar. It was good but more like a shortbread instead of a sugar cookie with only 1/2 cup, to make it like a true sugar cookie add the 1 1/2 cups. they are really good when made this way.

• 5 years later...
twe0708 Community Regular

This is one I have been using for over 10 years....it took my about 6 months to find the right gluten-free flour mix to use in it, but I did it!!!!

I use Authentic Foods extra finely ground brown rice flour (2 cups), 2/3 cup potato starch, 1/3 cup tapioca starch..

now for the recipe....

1 cup softened butter ( I leave it out overnight)

1 cup sugar ( you can decrease this by 1/4 cup without any problems)

1 large egg

1 tsp vanilla

2 tsp baking powder

3 cups flour

1 tbsp xantham gum

preheat oven to 400. Cream butter and sugar together with mixer in large bowl. Beat in egg and vanilla. Add baking powder (add xanthum gum now!!!) and 1 cup flour at a time, mixing after each addition. Last cup of flour should be mixed by hand as dough will be very stiff. You may not need the whole cup, so work it in slowly. This dough does NOT need to be chilled....Divide into 2 balls and on lightlyfloured surface roll into 12 inch circle, or to the thickness you like (about 1/8 inch is normal). Cut with cookie cutters. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet 6-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove and cool on rack.

I recommend using parchment paper so they don't stick to the pan. You can sprinkle colored sugar on before baking or use frosting.

These get gobbled up pretty fast around here!!!

A couple of years ago I used this recipe and had great cookies. The only thing is is that I have written on my paper I printed out the following flour I thought I used which is 1 1/2 cups of white rice flour and 1 1/2 cups of sorghum to make the 3 cups of flour. Does this seem right? We just tried the recipe and the flour is very crumbly. There is no way it is doughy enough to cut cookies. Any suggestions?

Archived