This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Lunch With Co-wokers

MollyG.

MollyG. Newbie

Hi, my name is Molly and I have been on a gluten free diet for only 2 months now. My problem is with my co-workers and going out to lunch everyday. Everyday my co-workers beg for me to go to lunch with them. I try to explain to them that I would rather eat in and eat food that I know if safe for me than chance getting sick. But they never understand. They are always upset that I do not want to go with them. How do I make them understand? I have told them that I am willing to go out with them once a week but that does not seem to be enough for them. I do not want to lose them as friends.

Does anyone know what is safe to eat at Quizno's? They seem to always want to go there. I know I probably could have a salad but what about the dressings? Is there a salad dressing that is usually safe when you to restaurants? I know when I got salad dressing at Subway it said that it contained modified food starch and I was told to avoid that.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

Two options:

1. go with them but bring your own items to the restaurant, and explain to the manager that you have severe food sensitivities and cannot risk the cross contamination.

2. eat before or after, go with them and socialize, but only have water.

If they frequent a handful of places, you could try going in some time when they aren't busy and working with the chef to see if something can be developed for you. (They might be willing to do this for a repeat customer...)

XoHeatherxO Rookie

I am in a similar situation with friends who dine out often. I have gotten too sick too many times. Choose restrauntes you know....I find it is safe to get a baked potato if nothing else, alaso, Annies makes great gluten-free salad dressings and you can order them in small packets to keep in your purse (I always keep a couple with me just in case!) If I order chicken or anything I make sure it is not cooked in anything and ask that the grill (where my chicken is cooking) be covered with foil becacuse of my severe allergies. Best case scenario I dont have to go out, but I have come along way and it is comfortable for me to just go out and have a drink or a fruit salad or something, you have to do what's right for you! :D

MollyG. Newbie

I would like to thank you for your rely. I went to the Annie's website, but I did not see the small packets of salad dressing. I only saw that you have to order 6 bottles at a time! Where do you purchase these small packets? I would love to carry them in my purse instead of a bottle (I would have to start carrying a larger purse).

terri Contributor

I bought Annies from the Gluten free mall or the gluten free pantry. I carry them in my purse. I also work and found that the women I used to go out to lunch with I now tell them I'll go out to shop at lunchtime instead. I also take a yoga class twice a week at lunch and go out to eat maybe twice a month. Being sick at work stinks! Also there are so many places I won't go because of cross contamination like Subway, McDonalds, Panera, any Chinese restaurant , etc. that they have accepted that. If they don't then they are your real friends. Try to accomodate them 2 or 3 times a month but you pick the place. Just my thoughts...

celiac3270 Collaborator

First off, if they're real friends, they'll continue to be friends regardless of whether or not you choose to eat with them. Second, perhaps you could make a compromise. Read about which restaurants are gluten-free, do some research, and maybe next time, YOU choose where to eat out :) . I don't really like restaurants, either, and am anxious about put my health into their hands......

Anyway, good luck.

-celiac3270

flagbabyds Collaborator

You can always get a restaruant card and talk to the chef before you go, then when you go you will know what you can have and they will know what you dietary restrictions are and how to handle them instead of haveing to deal with an annoying waiter go befoere or call them and talk to the chef. Your friends should understand and if they are really your friends they will support you. You can also eat ahead of time or eat afterwards and only get fruit (that is almost always safe) and then just eat when you go back to work.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

celiacfreeman Contributor

Lunch with co wrokers,

I really struggled with that, at first I went out anyway and found that by the time I explain my allergy and wait for special food, my lunch break was over before the speical food was prepared. Then I think that when co worker see your not going to comprimise your health, they understand why your sitting at your desk eating lunch as they trapse off to a resturant. I save eating out as a treat, as it is always a risk!!!!! It takes awhile to to get comfortable eating out. It's very very scary at first. I wouldn't recommend doing it right off after you diagnosed. You really don't know all the contaiments until you has hours and hours to study the diet.

My recommendation. Stay at your desk the first 90 days or so.

celiac3270 Collaborator

I agree with Celiacfreeman.......I wouldn't eat out in the beginning, either....then again, this is coming from someone who was never a big fan of restaurants to begin with :P . It is scary to put your health in the hands of others, especially in the beginning. I only trust my mom or myself to make a truly gluten-free meal..........and I'm gaining trust in my dad....but this is after months! To put this trust in someone who knows such a minimal amount about the diet is difficult...and scary. Your friends should, and, I hope, will understand if you don't go out to lunch with them. They're not the ones with health issues to worry about.

-C

tarnalberry Community Regular

A coworker's birthday was the other day, and we - on a whim - went to Chuck E Cheese. (He turned 33, what better thing to do when you turn 33 ;-). ) Anyway, I just had half the lunch I brought before we went there, and half when we got back. I enjoyed the conversation and the people (and the games), and it was just fine. If you are comfortable with the fact that you don't eat what other people eat and it won't upset you, then I'd recommend this method.

angel-jd1 Community Regular

I agree, eating out is not always about the food. Go and enjoy the company and conversation. You don't have to be a shut in just because you can't have gluten!! Enjoy live, just modify it.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Archived