Continue To Have Gi Probs

• Please log in to reply

8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jhmom_*

Guest_jhmom_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2004 - 10:28 AM

Hi everyone,

As most of you know I have been gluten-free since Sept 03 and could tell a difference within a couple of days, mostly because the doubled over abdominal pain was gone. However, I continue to have diarrhea, loss of appetite, nausea, just to name a few. I am at a loss and at my wits end. I am unsure what to do now, in the past I have been through all the test and they all came back normal (Crohns, Colon cancer, etc)

Let me tell you a little about some of my symptoms, yesterday for lunch I had some gluten-free chips and gluten-free beef hot-dog, a couple of hours later I had cramps and then diarrhea. My stomach continued to hurt the rest of the night up until today and I still have diarrhea today. My abdomen is very tender to touch, especially under my ribs. I also get a lot of pain at the base of my sternum.

I have made another appt with a different Gastro doctor for the end of the month, I just wanted to know if any of you still have a problem even after going gluten-free. I know several of you have been dx with Crohns, I looked it up on the net and my symptoms really don't match it. Is Crohns like celiac disease, very hard to dx with a number of different symptoms? Oh I am also being tested for Lupus, I know that Lupus can affect the GI tract but the meds I am currently on are not helping.

I have put a call into both of my doctors, I just wanted some feedback from some of you that are curretnly seeing a doctor and continue to have a problem after going gluten-free.

Thanks in advance

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 10:59 AM

Have you already tried eliminating the other common food sensitivities, including soy, dairy, eggs, etc.? And have you tried eliminating corn as well? (Just a thought, based on the number of people we see on this board with corn sensitivities...)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#3 Guest_jhmom_*

Guest_jhmom_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2004 - 12:16 PM

Thank you for the suggestion..... I have not tried that yet as I do not think that is my problem. I do however limit my dairy intake as it seems too much of it upsets my stomach but in a different way than I have explained above.

#4 lisa922

lisa922

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 12:21 PM

Hi, Stacie -

I was just wondering if you have had your gallbladder tested (or perhaps already removed). I know with that you can get the symptoms you are having and it seems like a lot of people around here have had their gallbladders out (like me). Of course, I tend to think had the Celiac been diagnosed first, then maybe I wouldn't have had to have the surgery, but, who knows....maybe it would have been inevitable anyway! If your gallbladder hasn't been ruled out yet, perhaps you could try to eat low-fat for a little while and see if that helps. Good luck!

LISA in Wilkesboro, NC

#5 Guest_jhmom_*

Guest_jhmom_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2004 - 12:59 PM

Hi Lisa,

I actually thought the same thing about the Gallbladder. I had it tested years ago and the ultrasound didn't show anything. A lady at church suggested the same thing to me last night so I plan on talking to my PCP about it soon! Wouldn't that be something but if it would releive some of my pain and problems I wouldnt mind at all!

#6 bigapplekathleen

bigapplekathleen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 11:24 AM

Hi Stacie,
I had (and continue to have) some of the same issues you mentioned. Here's what I have discovered about myself: if I eat ANY grains, I get stomach upset (and I mean ANY). I am particularly sensitive to corn but rice sometimes even sets off a stomach ache and other issues.

I have multiple food allergies (diagnosed by scratch test) and have figured out through a process of elimination that I cannot have corn and dairy. I, too, think there could be other issues there in addition to the gluten intolerance, but just finding the magic solution of avoiding all grains has worked well for me.

Also - Have you had your pancreatic enzyme levels checked?

Just another thought: have you double-checked everything that you are ingesting (lipstick, lipbalm, makeup, hand lotion, toothpaste, etc) to make sure there is no contamination issue?

Best wishes to you,

Kathleen
diagnosed by blood test, Aug. 03

#7 Guest_jhmom_*

Guest_jhmom_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2004 - 06:13 PM

Kathleen,

Thank you for your response. I have not noticed anything in particular that sets me off except when I eat too much dairy in a day.

I do not think my doctors have checked my pancreatic enzyme levels, I will mention it to the GI doc the end of this month. I am 100% sure that I am gluten-free and there is not a chance for contamination, but I will keep a close eye on it just to make sure.

Thanks again

#8 lisa922

lisa922

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 03:35 PM

Hi, Stacie -

I was just checking on you to see if your GI doc or PCP were able to figure anything out for you. I also wanted to mention that there is a test called a HIDA scan that tests the functioning of your gallbladder. Mine was only functioning at 1%. When they had done just the ultrasound a few months earlier, the ultrasound said everything was fine. Of course, as I said before, I'm still not convinced that it wasn't Celiac that messed up my gallbladder, but I suppose I'll never know! Seems like there are a lot of people who have gallbladder problems even after having been diagnosed properly and being gluten-free. Talk to you later

Lisa in Wilkesboro, NC

#9 bigapplekathleen

bigapplekathleen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 03:43 PM

Hi Stacie,
What about an intolerance for Casein? Have you ever checked that? You mentioned that eating too much dairy 'sets you off' so casein is the first thing I thought of.

I believe there are tests they can run to check for casein intolerance.

best wishes,
kathleen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: